Everyday Homemaking Tips

I may receive compensation from links on this site. See my disclosure policy.

21K Shares

I had such a great response to my homemaking tips last week – Helpful Tips for Everyday Success and Household Tips for Organizing and Living – that I decide to put together another collection of everyday homemaking tips for busy moms and homemakers. (Also be sure to check out my January 2013 post for the New Year – Frugal Tips for Saving Money!)

12 Everyday Homemaking Tips for Busy Moms and Homemakers! #tips #lifetips #lifehack #lifehacks #diy #diytips #lifestyle #homemaking

Everyday Homemaking Tips

1.) Use Coffee Filters for More Than Just Coffee. Coffee filters are multi-purpose. Grab them when in need of a substitute for something you don’t have. They’re great for cleaning glass and computer monitors. Detox your stinky shoes by filling a filter with baking soda, tying off with a rubber band and placing in your sneakers. Or you can even use it as a dryer sheet by placing a few drops of fabric softener on the filter, rubbing together, than folding in half.

2.) Sheet Storage. Store your sheet sets together in a pillow case. Not only does this keep the entire set together, but it makes for neater and more compact storage.

3.) DIY Watering Can. Take an old laundry detergent container and drill holes in the lid for an instant watering can that not only allows you to recycle a disposable container, but is sturdy enough to hold up to continued use. Plus there are no worries about water sloshing out!

4.) Keep Brown Sugar Soft. Use a marshmallow in your brown sugar to keep it soft.

5.) Ketchup Bottle as Pancake Batter Dispenser. Repurpose an empty ketchup bottle into a pancake batter dispenser and pour the right amount every time! It’s also less messy and it makes it easier for making smiley face pancakes for the kids!

6.) Organize Upright. Create more room for your flatware by storing it upright rather than laying it down. I am constantly running out of room for my knives, forks and spoons and they often spill over into the next one’s cubby. This solves that problem and allows you add more silverware to your collection for those holiday get togethers.

Create a DIY Kitchen Command Center. Keep all of your scheduling and menu planning in one place with a well organized kitchen command center. Your command center should feature a menu planning board, dry erase note board, magnet boards, and chore charts.

7.) Create a Kitchen Command Center. Keep all of your scheduling and menu planning in one place with a well organized kitchen command center. Your command center should feature a menu planning board, dry erase note board, magnet boards, and chore charts.

8.) Doggy Drawer. The dog doesn’t live in the garage, so why store his food there? Instead use a deep drawer for keeping your pup’s kibble along with a handy scoop for when it’s time to dish out dinner.

9.) Nix Stains with Pantry Staples. Treat a variety of common clothing stains with products you have in your pantry. Egg yolk and luke warm water will remove a coffee stain. Just allow to set for a minute or two, then rinse. Get rid of blood stains, but immersing the fabric in very cold water, then sprinkling heavily with salt. Scrub with soap and rinse. Plus more!

10.) Lemon as Cutting Board Cleaner. Use a fresh cut lemon to clean your wood and plastic cutting boards. Squeeze the lemon juice on your board and allow to sit for 20 minutes before rinsing. Voila!

11.) Use Baking Soda for Everything. Baking soda is the perfect household staple as it’s great for everything from cleaning to deodorizing to hygiene. Use it in the fridge to keep odors away, as a mouthwash rinse, to clean grills, and even as part of your laundry routine.

12.) Revive Old Paintbrushes. You can revive old paint brushes by soaking them in hot vinegar then washing with regular old soap and water. This removes old paint and softens the bristles.

I hope you enjoyed my collection of everyday homemaking tips. If you’re also looking for unique ways to organize your office, then be sure to also check out my post, Home Office Organizing Tips and DIY Projects.

Looking for more affordable, convenient and natural ways to clean your home? Then you must check out Grove Collaborative! I recently became a member and have been super impressed with their service, natural products selections, prices and shipping times. Plus their products help to make it easier for families to make the switch to healthy, non-toxic home and personal care products

Save Time + Money with Grove Collaborative

Looking for more everyday homemaking tips? Check out Grove Collaborative and save both time and money! Grove Collaborative offers great prices on natural household products and features a fully customizable monthly autoship option so you can skip the trip to the store! Plus their discounted, eco-friendly products help to make it easier for families to make the switch to healthy, non-toxic home and personal care products.

Sign up for Grove Collaborative now and receive a free Mrs. Meyer’s Trio + Grove Walnut Scrubber Sponges! You’ll be thrilled discover some of the cleanest and greenest cleaning sets dedicated to making your home healthy and beautiful! I promise you will absolutely LOVE them! Learn more here.

Don’t Miss A Single Post!

For more helpful tips for homemaking, organizing and DIY ideas follow me on PinterestG+TumblrFacebookTwitterBlog Lovin’, and Instagram as well as subscribe to Soap Deli News via email for future updates, DIY projects and recipes.

21K Shares
About Rebecca D. Dillon

Rebecca D. Dillon is a soapmaker, DIY-er and blogger whose life is controlled daily by a dachshund. You can learn more about Rebecca by checking out her bio. Or discover more great skin care & beauty recipes by subscribing to Soap Deli News blog via email.

Comments

1. Fantastic! Thank you so much for such great and useful ideas. I will definitely be transforming my laundry detergent bottle and using the ketchup bottle idea for pancakes. Superb:)

2. Oh my goodness, the ketchup bottle idea is fantastic! Finally, I won’t be pouring batter all over my counters. Thank you so much for sharing all these great tips–you have such imagination!

3. I love pretty much all these ideas! The sheets in the pillow is one of those “I cant believe I never thought of that” moments. And I love the detergent and ketchup bottle ideas!
    Thanks so much 🙂

4. oh and the marshmellow in the brown sugar. I need to try that! That always drives me nuts.

5. These are awesome!!! Thank you so much!

6. wonderful tips I am a new follower sent over by homemakeronadime, off to read more of your blog.
    Brenda

7. Great tips! I wish I had a tall drawer for your cutlery idea and I’m going to try the vinegar-paintbrush tip right now. Thanks!

8. Marshmallow, I never knew that! Thanks for linking this to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

9. These are some really helpful tips.

I featured you in my bi-monthly “stuff I like” post.

Thanks!

10. The Baking Soda and coffee filter idea ROCKs my Shoes! Literally. Thanks.

11. I have been using the pillowcase sheet holder for some time. I love the pancake idea! lots of good ideas from everyone. thanks for pinterest!

12. These are wonderful! Thank you! I have already seen some of the Ideas on Pinterest by their Authors but thanks for reposting!

13. Great ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am sitting here trying to think of an idea to share, but my mind is blank, or maybe it’s frozen?
    But I am bookmarking this page for sure,and I will get back to you.
    Merry Christmas and Happy Happy New Year to ALL

14. Anonymous says:

The best way to get blood out of fabric is hydrogen peroxide. Soak, scrub, rinse with cool water. Repeat until clean.

• Anonymous says:

Hydrogen peroxide does work well, however, if left on the fabric too long, it will deteriorate the fabric. Be sure to rinse well then launder right away.

• Anonymous says:

It it’s a small amount of blood and you don’t mind a lil spit, your spit will make it magically disappear! 🙂

15. If you are in the middle of painting a room and you want to take a break and resume another day wrap your roller in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer, then when you are ready to paint again just thaw out your roller and your ready to go.

16. I just saw a “pancake maker” at wally world for over $5!….empty ketchup bottle anyone?!?

17. Anonymous says:

BEST overall cleaner in a spray bottle, mix half rubbing alcohol{any scent}half water and a drop of dish detergent. Kills germs and safe to use. A doctor’s office secret!

18. KaronSluder says:

Keep a small spray bottle of lemon juice in your fridge. If your little ones only eat half an apple, spray the other half with lemon juice and wrap in plastic or baggie for tomorrow. Cut a banana in half, spray the end with lemon juice and fit into a small plastic lid. I save juice lids of various sizes just for things like this. The best size for my bananas, SunnyD lids from individual juice bottles. It will fit snugly and keep out little flying critters and keep the end fresh. You can leave it out on a counter.

19. If you use a Pyrex dish to bake a chicken, pot roast, scalloped potatoes. etc., fill the dish with water, drop a dryer sheet in the dish, and rinse it out in the morning. I have found it actually works!

20. Anonymous says:

Use a saltine cracker in your sugar jar to prevent clumps. You can also keep a piece of bread in your homemade cookies to keep them soft.

21. Anonymous says:

My daughter-in-law told me to use Murphy’s oil soap on blood stains and rub it in and it truly disappears like magic. Love the ketchup idea!

22. Thanks to my mother… I have found useing the cheap peroxide from the medicene kit works great for removing blood or other body fluids from clothes and carpet…

23. I just buy plastic bins to store my forks, spoons & knives & sit them on my lower cabinet shelf, since I don’t have a tall drawer. Voila! 🙂

24. Here’s another: to pop melted candles out of votives, stick ’em in the freezer first. Once they’re cold, the wax will snap right out, clean as a whistle! 🙂

25. These are all such great ideas!!!

Here’s another one for coffee filters: grab a couple & fill with popcorn for a quick & disposable snack bowl.

26. Betty Miller says:

We use coffee filters at work or home to fill with individual portions of popcorm = no dirty bowls!!

27. Anonymous says:

I love the ketchup bottle idea so I tweaked it a little for my own use. Clean a large salad dressing bottle(squeezable), remove paper, let dry completely. Put the dry ingredients of your pancake recipe in the bottle and close tightly. With a sharpie write “Pancake Mix” then below that write “Add:2 eggs, 1 cup milk, (etc)”. Shake or use the handle of a long wooden spoon to stir then use like the ketchup bottle. Wash, rinse, repeat:-) And if you have any leftover pancakes…place in zip top bag, stick in freezer. Then pop a couple in the toaster when you need a quick snack (great with PB&J!)

28. Anonymous says:

Burn something in a pot or skillet? Cover with wate, sprinkle baking soda in water, bring to a boil, let cool, pour water out, take a paper towel and wipe pot clean!! REALLY WORKS!

29. I haven’t noticed this one posted yet, but it is a great way to get the “onion smell” off your fingers/hands when you’ve chopped onions. Take a stainless steel knife and run the flat side across your fingers/hand while running both under cold water. You won’t smell the onion on your skin!

30. Anonymous says:

her is a some we do in denmark:-) and sorry for my spelling:-)
    peel onions under running water to not cry.
    rub your hands on some thing steel, maybe the sink, when don peeling onions or garlik.
    rins windows in sprinkler flued for the car, and do et with a newspapir.
    I wash all my londery with viniger insted of fabriksoftner, it is bether for the inveroment, ther is no perfume, and it is cheep.
    and always cut open khethup botels becous there is always 20%left:-)

31. Anonymous says:

Out of brown sugar? I alway seem to be. So just mix molasses with regular sugar. If you want light brown sugar add a little, dark brown sugar and more. You get the point

32. I am headed to my linen closet right now to put my sheets in pillowcases! Another of my favorite tips is to to help with baked on food on your casserole dishes: When soaking them, throw in a dryer sheet–when you come back an hour later, all the crusty mess will just fall of the dish!

33. Anonymous says:

after opening a loaf of bread and you do not have a tie or just to keep bread fresh,twist the bag and pull it back over the bread.Keeps fresher.

34. Anonymous says:

WANTING TO KEEP FRESH SPICES LIKE PARSLEY OR ETC.,PUT LITTLE SPRIGS IN ICE CUBE TRAYS,FILL WITH WATER,AND FREEZE.YOU CAN DUMP ICE CUBES IN PLASTIC BAG,OR KEEP IN ICE CUBE TRAY. THEY COME IN HANDY IN SOUPS,STEWS,SAUCES OR ANYTHING YOU USE CERTAIN SPICES WITH.

35. Anonymous says:

When you are cleaning fresh corn, cut off about 1/2 inch from end (the end that was connected to plant) put in the microwave- 4 min for each ear of corn. Grab corn from silk end and shake, the corn will drop out with no silk on it, and no cleaning up all that mess! Try it,it works!!!

36. Anonymous says:

When potting plants put a coffee filter in bottom of pot to prevent soil from falling out plus drains well

37. Anonymous says:

A piece of bread in brown sugar works too. Ever get gum stuck on clothing, hair, or furniture? Hot distilled vinagar, has to be hot to work, pour it on the gum, use a toothbrush in a circular motion on the gum and just like magic, all the gum will stick in the toothbrush. In under 30 seconds!

38. Anonymous says:

Ever spill candle wax on carpet?? Get a paper towel and a iron get the iron hot and place the paper towel over the dried wax and rub over it lightly with the iron wax sticks to the paper towel!! also to get gum out of your clothes or hair.. Take an ice cube and rub it on the gum it freezes the gum and it comes right off 🙂

39. Anonymous says:

Don’t leave the iron on the carpet too long or it will melt it! (learned this the hard way)

40. Love this. .

41. Ruth McHugh says:

Vinegar has so many uses . Put it in your washing machines rinse water . It softens the water. And takes out the soap

42. This is AMAZING! Such great ideas. Thank you for posting this!

43. SOUNDS CRAZY BUT IT WORKS!!
    I HAVE NOT USED SHAMPOO FOR OVER A YEAR YETBI HAVE BEAUTIFUL THICK-CURLY-HEALTHY CLEAN HAIR{THAT ALWAYS SMELLS AMAZING}
    *I USE APPLE CIDER VINIGER MIXED WITH WATER TO WASH MY HAIR & BODY….IF UR HAIR IS OILY ADD 1/4 CUP OF BAKING SODA TO IT …..I USUALLY MAKE IT IN A SPRAY BOTTLE (1 CUP APPLE CIDER VINIGER + 1/2 CUP WATER + 2TBSP OF BAKING SODA)

***WARNING*** IF U ADD BAKING SODA TO VINIGER IT WILL FIZZ UP….SO MIX IN LARGE PITCHER 1ST
    ALSO** BAKING SODA CAN DRY OUT HAIR

SPRAY ON WET HAIR, WORK IT IN LIKE SHAMPOO (SATURATE COMPLETELY)LET IT SOAK ON HAIR FOR 5MIN OR LONGER THEN RINSE WITH WATER….APPLY UR FAVORITE CONDITIONER…..YOU WILL FEEL RESULTS WITH SILKY HAIR….I ONLY ADD BAKING SODA 1 TIME A WEEK….BUT, I USE VINIGER DAILY!!….I WILL NEVER BUY SHAMPOO AGAIN

44. i own a cleaning business….STOP SPENDING MONEY ON HARMFUL SUPPLIES….MAKE UR OWN!!!

16oz. spray bottle-add 1cup white viniger + 1cup water + few drops of blue ultra concentrated dawn dishsoap -shake-
    *cleans tubs, showers, sinks, floors, kitchens, stain remover, toilet cleaner,streak free windows, much more…..

45. all u will ever need to clean anything, do laundry, remove stains, wash body + hair, sanatize and anything else i may of forgot

vinigar (white + apple cider)………$2 or less
    baking soda………………………$1 or less
    peroxide……………………….. $1 or less
    alcohol (rubbing)…………………$1 or less
    blue dawn dishsoap (ultraxconcentrated)…$1
    lemon juice………………………$1 or less
    and water as a mixer to all

you can clean & deoderize anything with these ingredients

46. Anonymous says:

Gum stuck in hair? Get an ice cube and place on gum and let it harden, it will come out pretty easy

47. peroxide also gets blood stains out of clothing just pour onto stain and wash with your other laundry. works like a charm…

48. Seems that you would make a bigger mess trying to get your ingredients for pancakes in the small ketchup bottle opening. Use a small scoop to keep the mess down instead and have nice round pancakes

49. Agree with Anon that the ketchup bottle for pancake mix seems to create more mess than would be worthwhile. Cleaning it out of the bottle would be even more work and waste a lot of water.

50. Anonymous says:

After baking cookies and allowing them to cool place a slice of bread in the baggie with them to keep them soft

51. Thanks for the tips…they’re great! Here’s one of my favs…
    Using a pizza cutter to cut waffles, pancakes, and sandwiches (or just about anything else) is a quick and easy way to cut a lot, very quickly! It really comes in handy especially when you have lots of little mouths to feed.

52. Those are really adorable tips….everyday could be easy by applying those homemaking tips!

53. I have done #5…works like a charm!

54. Headed to the linen closet now to put all the sheets inside the pillow case. What a great idea.