Handmade Lavender Mint Lip Balm Recipe
1/2 oz. (by weight) refined cocoa butter
1/2 oz. (by weight) refined shea butter
2 Tablespoons Carnauba Wax (also known as Candelilla Wax – vegan)
1-2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 ml Lavender Essential Oil
2 ml Peppermint Essential Oil
12-15 .15 oz. lip balm tubes with caps
12-15 28×70 shrink wrap bands (optional)
plastic disposable dropper with ml markings or pipette
glass pyrex container
spoon or stir stick
microwave or double boiler
1. Measure out your carnauba wax and weigh out your cocoa butter. Place these ingredients in a glass pyrex measuring cup or bowl. (I use carnauba wax as it’s a vegan alternative to beeswax. You can substitute with beeswax if you like or use half beeswax and half carnauba wax for a shinier lip balm.) Microwave in 1 minute increments until mostly melted.
2. Weigh out and add the shea butter to the wax and cocoa butter. Microwave until melted. Stir well. (Optionally you can use a double boiler to melt your ingredients.)
3. Measure out the olive oil and stir into the wax and butters. Re-melt at any point if needed.
4. Measure out the lavender and peppermint essential oil with the dropper and add to melted lip balm ingredients. Mix well. (If you don’t like lavender, try grapefruit and peppermint or chocolate and peppermint!)
5. Then using the dropper, fill the lip balm tubes one at a time. You can help your lip balm tubes stay standing by setting them in a tray of Epsom salts to keep them in place. My batch made a baker’s dozen. I filled my lip balm tubes completely so each contain .2oz. or 5grams of lip balm.
6. Allow to cool completely, then cap and label. If you’d like you can also seal the lip balms with shrink wrap bands by simply placing the bands over the lip balm container and applying heat with a hair dryer.