Learn about the benefits of lanolin and discover sixteen fantastic homemade lanolin skin care recipes that can help to protect and moisturize skin all winter long!
What is lanolin and what benefits can be gained from lanolin in skin care applications?
So, what is lanolin? Lanolin is a naturally occurring wax that is secreted by the glands of sheep and other wool bearing animals that helps them shed water from their coats. When sheep are sheared in order to use their wool for textiles such as yarn or felt, the wool is first run through rollers in order to extract the lanolin. Because lanolin is very similar in composition to the oils secreted by our own skin it’s able to provide a protective moisture barrier when used in skin care products. It acts as an excellent moisturizer and skin smoother as it’s capable of not only penetrating the outer layers of our own skin while still allowing it to breathe, but it is also a humectant able to attract and absorb up to 300% water.
According to Wikipedia lanolin is superior to both petroleum and glycerin with its emollient effects lasting for an eight hour period after the first application and up to 72 hours after a fifth day of consecutive use. Therefore this natural skin salve is perfect for severely dry and cracked skin, eczema and psoriasis. Convinced? Then check out my collection of sixteen homemade lanolin skin care recipes below to discover what are sure to become a few of your new favorites!
Homemade lanolin skin care recipes to nurture and nourish skin through winter.
1. Healing Winter Body Balm Recipe (plus a snowflake label tutorial!)
2. Homemade Chocolate Orange Body Butter Recipe and Sugar Scrub Recipe
3. Cinnamon Sugar Homemade Non-Greasy Body Butter Recipe
4. Vanilla & Fig Non-Greasy Body Butter Recipe
5. Natural Rosemary & Neem Oil Foot Salve Recipe
6. Natural Lanolin & Neem Salve Recipe
7. Natural Lanolin Shaving Soap Recipe
8. Handmade Natural Lanolin Salve Recipe
9. Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips Dupe
10. Merlot Tinted Lip Balm Recipe with Lanolin
11. Bee Pollen Soap Recipe with Lanolin
12. Heal and Protect Winter Lip Balm Recipe with Lanolin
13. Neem Oil and Bee Pollen Skin Cream Recipe with Lanolin
14. Lemon Verbena Body Butter Recipe with Lanolin
15. Non-greasy Lavender Body Butter Recipe with Lanolin
16. Vanilla & Fig Homemade Shaving Soap Recipe with Lanolin
If you like these homemade lanolin skin care recipes, then you’ll also love my natural neem oil skin care recipes. (Found here.) Also be sure to follow me on Pinterest for even more fabulous natural homemade skin care recipes including homemade soap recipes, homemade salves, body butter and sugar scrub recipes! You can also find and follow me on Blog Lovin’, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, G+ and Instagram.