DIY Legwarmers – A Fashion Statement for Fall

November 2, 2011
I may receive compensation from links on this site. As an Amazon Associate I also earn from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure policy.

I loved legwarmers in the 80s not because they were a fashion statement, but because they kept my legs extra warm when playing outside in the snow. I was a kid then though, and by the time the 90s and high school hit, they’d gone out of style. Fortunately, they’ve come back with a sexy creative DIY twist from some very talented handmade gurus in styles you’d never be too embarrassed to wear. Plus, they’re a snap to make yourself from upcycled clothing!
Upcycled Woman’s Clothing Leg Warmers from cutrag
I found these super fun and funky, eco-friendly upcycled legwarmers today at cutrag on etsy. Made from recycled and vintage clothing, these legwarmers would look great with a skirt and boots and are the perfect trend for fall and the upcoming winter season! And, if you’re the crafty sort, you can make your own diy legwarmers from old shirts and sweaters yourself with either a sewing machine or just a needle and thread. Here are a few creative ideas on the web for making your own handmade legwarmers.
DIY Leg Warmers from Promise Tangeman
How to Make Legwarmers or Boot Socks from Made By Lex
DIY Reconstruction: Sweater Into Legwarmers from Crochet Clouds
You can also make legwarmers out of socks with holes in the toes or any thrift store socks you find that have a pattern you love.
Do you love legwarmers? And have you made a pair of your own yet? If so, what type of material did you use?

7 Comments

• Emma

November 2, 2011 at 2:39 am

Love, love, love all of these!! I just bought myself a new pair of boots and was going to look at different ways of making myself some legwarmers. Thanks so much for sharing all these and saving me some time!

• Tutus & Tea Parties

November 2, 2011 at 2:45 am

I have made some pairs for my daughter but need some for myself this winter!

Thank you for linking up at A Pinteresting Party!

• Tutus & Tea Parties

November 2, 2011 at 2:45 am

I have made some pairs for my daughter but need some for myself this winter!

Thank you for linking up at A Pinteresting Party!

• Erin / Miri-love

November 2, 2011 at 5:38 am

Ahhhhhhh I’m so happy legwarmers are back in style!!!! Never should’ve gone out of style, in my humble opinion.

I like the boot sock especially – I have several pairs, I’ve been thinking about sewing some eyelet lace around the tops of mine for a little added romance 😉

Great post! Thanks for sharing some great stuff!

Erin from BloggingBuddies

• Julie

November 3, 2011 at 11:19 am

Cute! I’ve made these for my girl-baby (2) using her old long sleeve t-shirts…. thanks for sharing your lovely creations 🙂

• Bead Lightning Jewelry

November 3, 2011 at 7:21 pm

those are really awesome!

• tinathom

June 18, 2012 at 4:23 am

DYI IN THE EIGHTYS My daughter was 3 when leg warmeres were in, in the 80’s, but, her legs were long and thin, and legwarmers would not stay up on her legs. She would outgrow all of her jeans/pants in length, long before they were to tight. So….. I would buy a larger girls knee socks, cut them above the heel, cut pants/jeans about 1 1/2″ below knee, sew the cut edge of sock to the pants, streching as I sewed, and with socks that corordated with the knee socks, she looked so stylish and they stayed up. The stretchy edge of sock, cupped under the pants, making them look great.

Comments are closed.