Learn all about the golden milk benefits for your mind and body! This healthy golden milk recipe is very easy, and you only need 5 ingredients plus 5 minutes prep. Made with turmeric and honey, turmeric latte is a healthy and delicious drink that can boost immunity, reduce inflammation, promote sleep and aid with digestion.
Easy Golden Milk Recipe
With cold and flu season upon us, you need a few homemade remedies in your back pocket, and this golden milk recipe should be at the top of your list. Not only does turmeric latte taste delicious, but this healthy milk drink is also great to support your immune system during the colder months. Honestly, it’s so good, you’ll want to sip golden latte all year long!
What Is Golden Milk?
Golden milk, also called turmeric latte or golden latte, is a traditional Ayurvedic wellness drink to support the mind and body and has a long history of use in India. The warming beverage is made with milk, turmeric, black pepper, and other good-for-you ingredients.
Golden Milk Benefits
What are the benefits of golden milk? Golden milk is a powerhouse of health benefits and can support your body and mind in several ways.
It all comes down to the key ingredient in golden milk, turmeric. Turmeric not only gives it golden milk a sunny color, but the spice is one of the most nutritious foods, and the health benefits are nearly endless.
Turmeric contains curcumin and other curcuminoids, which are bioactive compounds with powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory abilities.
Let’s have a look at the possible health benefits of golden milk!
Fight Oxidative Damage
Oxidative damage caused by free radicals plays a critical role in the aging process and many diseases. As a highly effective antioxidant, curcumin reduces cell damage by neutralizing free radicals, and encourages the body to produce its own antioxidant enzymes. (source)
Data suggest that continuous, low-level inflammation in the body contribute to the development of many chronic diseases, including cancer, obesity, heart problems, arthritis, and Alzheimer’s. (source)
Curcumin possesses remarkable anti-inflammatory properties that fight and reduce inflammation on a cellular level. (source)
Golden milk can also boost your immune system. The antibacterial and antiviral activity of curcumin is also beneficial to better fight common infections, such as a cold or flu. (source)
Improve Digestion and Lower Blood Sugar Levels
The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric can improve digestion and reduce gut inflammation and bowel irritation. (source) The spice may also relieve acid reflux, help to heal ulcers and maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
Aid Mood, Memory and Brain Function
Another study from UCLA suggests that turmeric enhances memory, mood, and brain function. It seems that curcumin’s anti-inflammatory attributes have a positive effect on brain inflammation, which has been linked to depression and Alzheimer’s disease. (source)
Make turmeric milk part of your bedtime ritual! Drinking a warm cup of golden latte before bed can promote sleep quality and relaxation. A study showed that turmeric can reduce anxiety and stress. (source)
Possible Risks and Golden Milk Side Effects
Although turmeric is well tolerated and doesn’t seem to have any major side effects, some people may experience stomach upset, diarrhea, or nausea if large quantities are consumed.
People with gallstones, cholangitis, gallbladder disease, or liver disease should avoid turmeric as the spice stimulates bile secretion.
If you are pregnant, breast-feeding, have a medical condition or take medications, talk to your physician or medical caregiver before drinking golden latte.
How to Make Golden Milk
It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare, and you only need 5 ingredients to make this golden latte recipe. Traditional golden milk recipes are made with turmeric paste, but I created a simpler version for mine.
Turmeric Latte Ingredients:
One of the best things about this easy golden milk recipe is that it’s pretty simple and straightforward to make. Here’s a quick note about the ingredients:
- Milk: I used regular cow’s milk to make my turmeric latte. See below for dairy-free golden milk options.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is the key ingredient in golden milk. Only buy high-quality turmeric form a trusted source. Cheap turmeric is sometimes laced with fillers such as wheat starch, which can be problematic if you’re gluten intolerant.
- Ground Black Pepper: A study showed that black pepper enhances the absorption of turmeric by 2000% (source). You only need a small amount and will barely notice it.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil makes the active components more soluble and furthers the absorption of turmeric.
- Honey: Honey provides a hint of sweetness and doubles down on the health benefits. You can also sweeten your golden milk with maple or agave syrup if you need a vegan golden milk recipe.
Let me show you how to make my easy golden milk recipe at home!
- Heat milk and turmeric: Combine the milk, turmeric, and black pepper in a small saucepan. Whisk to mix the ingredients and infuse the milk with turmeric. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, for about 2 minutes. Don’t boil the golden milk. Otherwise, the golden milk benefits will be lost as curcumin starts to breakdown under high heat.
- Add coconut oil: Stir in the coconut oil until combined, then take off the heat.
- Stir in honey: Add the honey and stir until dissolved. Pour your turmeric latte into a mug and enjoy warm. Optionally, top with a sprinkle of turmeric before serving.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey (can sub for maple syrup)
- Combine the milk, turmeric, and black pepper in a small saucepan. Whisk to mix the ingredients and infuse the milk with turmeric. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, for about 2 minutes. Don't boil the golden milk. Otherwise, the health benefits of golden milk will be lost as curcumin starts to breakdown under high heat.
- Stir in the coconut oil until combined, then take off the heat.
- Add the honey and stir until dissolved. Pour your turmeric latte into a mug and enjoy warm.
Optionally, top with a sprinkle of turmeric before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 9g
Golden Milk Latte FAQ
Can I drink golden milk every day?
Yes, it’s perfectly safe – and beneficial for your health – to drink golden milk daily.
What is the best time to drink golden milk?
This tasty beverage is both a wonderful morning pick-me-up and cozy nightcap. Golden milk is the perfect drink to feel energized and get your day going. You can also add turmeric latte to your nighttime routine to help you unwind and relax. Sometimes, I also prepare a large thermos and sip on it all day. Lots of options here!
Can you make dairy-free golden milk?
Absolutely, you can use any type of milk to make golden milk latte. Almond milk, hemp milk, oat milk, cashew milk and coconut milk are excellent lactose-free options.
If you choose coconut milk, I recommend thinning it out with a little with water – otherwise, your homemade golden latte may end up a bit thick.
Does turmeric milk contain caffeine?
No, golden milk doesn’t contain caffeine as none of the ingredients contain caffeine.
Golden milk is best served right away, but you can reheat the recipe if necessary.
Again, when reheating make sure that it doesn’t boil, or the golden milk benefits will be lost. Warm and a little steamy is best.
If you happen to have leftover turmeric milk, simply fill it in an airtight bottle or container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you buy golden milk powder?
And in case you’re wondering, I served my homemade golden milk in these cute mugs from Ikea.
More Healthy Recipes
If you like this golden turmeric latte, you might also enjoy some of my other recipes for health and wellness:
- Homemade Cold Remedy Drink
- Custom Herbal Tea Blends
- Thyme Tea
- Tulsi Ginger Tea
- Fire Cider Vinegar
- Elderberry Syrup
If you enjoyed learning about the benefits of golden milk, then be sure to check out more of my natural recipes and remedies for health and wellness here.