These vegetarian quesadillas are inspired by a Tiktok trend, but I put my own unique spin on the recipe. This delicious guacamole quesadilla recipe with beans and cheese is perfect for weeknight dinners. You can make this Mexican inspired dish in one pan in about 20 minutes for a quick lunch or dinner.
Vegetarian Quesadillas With Beans and Cheese
I’ve been experimenting with new foods lately. Surprisingly, Tiktok is a great source for new recipes and cooking hacks. I learned a new way to make an old favorite and turned my traditional Mexican quesadillas into a black bean and cheese quesadilla recipe.
These vegetarian quesadillas with guacamole are easy to make. It’s also easy to customize to suit your tastes. I make mine as a black bean and vegetable quesadilla. However, you can also use your favorite vegetables and add meat if desired.
Prepared and cooked as indicated, these vegetarian quesadillas with beans are a low calorie dinner idea with just 572 calories per serving.
Keep reading to learn how to make vegetarian quesadillas with beans and cheese. Plus discover how to fold your tortillas using the easy folded tortilla quesadilla tik tok hack.
What Can I Make With Guacamole?
You can make quesadillas with guacamole. In addition, you can also use my recipe for authentic Mexican guacamole to make these other exciting recipes and dishes:
- Guacamole toast
- Deviled eggs
- Atop baked fish
- Use as a salad dressing
- Replace mayo with guacamole on a sandwich
- Tacos with Guacamole
- Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
How Do I Keep My Guacamole From Turning Brown Overnight?
Guacamole turns brown when it’s exposed to the air because avocados produce melanin when exposed to the air. It’s best to make your guacamole fresh just before making your black bean and vegetable quesadilla.
If you do want to save your guacamole, store it in an airtight container. Add a thin layer of water on top and then use plastic wrap to create a barrier. Store with a lid to prevent air from getting in.
What Ingredients Taste Good in a Quesadilla?
There are a lot of great ingredients that taste good in a quesadilla. I used guacamole to spice up this vegetarian quesadilla recipe with beans. However, you also mix your favorite vegetables into this guacamole quesadilla recipe.
If you aren’t on a vegetarian diet, you can also add ground beef, shredded pork or shredded chicken. Anything you would traditionally put on a taco or burrito, you can use inside this guacamole quesadilla.
What Kind of Vegetables Go in a Vegetarian Quesadilla?
Try one or more of the following vegetables in your vegetarian guacamole quesadillas:
- Bell pepper
- Sweet potato
Other Vegetarian Variations
You can also try one of these other tasty vegetarian variations:
- Make a Southwestern quesadilla with black beans, chopped onions, peppers, tomatoes, corn, cilantro and pepper jack cheese inside the tortilla. Then top with your favorite spices along with sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Give your quesadillas Mediterranean flare by filling them with chopped spinach, red onions, Kalamata olives, feta cheese crumbles and mozzarella cheese. You can also serve this variation with a side of hummus.
- If you favor Italian style dishes, load your quesadillas up with traditional Caprese salad components. Simply layer fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and basil inside the tortilla, then top with a balsamic vinegar drizzle.
What Can I Use Instead of Cheese in Quesadillas?
Although I don’t drink milk, I still love cheese. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to find a vegan cheese that I can tolerate. However, if you are dairy free or following a vegan diet, you can substitute the cheese with a plant based alternative. Try one of the following cheese substitutes for this guacamole quesadilla recipe:
- Dairy free cheese
- Sesame seed butter
What Cheese is Dairy Free?
If you want a diary free cheese, look for one that is labeled as dairy free. You can find cashew based cheese or even vegetable based cheese. Most stores will have a dairy free queso cheese that would be perfect for a tortilla guacamole recipe.
Some popular dairy free cheese brands are:
- Loca Foods
- Follow Your Heart
- Field Roast
Vegetarian Quesadilla Substitutions and Variations
These guacamole quesadillas are an easy recipe to make. You can also easy to adapt them to suit you or your family’s taste. Here are some additions and substitutions that you can make when making these cheese quesadillas with guacamole:
- Use tostadas in place of tortillas.
- Add taco seasoning to the vegetable mixture.
- Include seasoned ground beef, shredded pork or chicken, if desired, and not following a vegetarian diet.
- Add your favorite vegetables.
- Use feta cheese.
- Add fresh spinach and mushrooms.
- Try them with shredded zucchini or carrots.
Tips for Making Vegetarian Guacamole Quesadillas
Here are some tips for making vegetarian quesadillas:
- I used raw vegetables to make my guacamole quesadillas. However, you can also cook the onion and other vegetables.
- I recommend using a cast iron pan to make a black bean and cheese quesadilla recipe. It will brown them perfectly for a delicious dinner.
- You can also spread premade guacamole on the tortilla instead of making your own guacamole.
- I like to top my vegetarian quesadillas with sour cream sauce. However, you can also serve them with salsa for dipping.
How Do You Fold a Quesadilla?
There are several ways to fold a guacamole quesadilla recipe. There is a traditional way and the Tiktok way. I used the Tiktok method for this tortilla guacamole recipe.
Here are the methods you can utilize to fold a quesadilla:
- To fold it traditionally, cut the tortilla in half. Then place your fillings and cheese evenly on the half of the tortilla. Then fold in half and cook.
- You can also use a whole tortilla to make a cheese guacamole quesadilla recipe. Spread the filling in a thin layer over all of the tortilla and then fold in half. When it’s done cooking, cut into two or three pieces to serve.
- To use the Tiktok hack to fold quesadillas, cut the tortilla from the center to one edge. This allows you to flip one side over the other for a layered triangle. (You can find step-by-step photos of the process below.)
Black Bean and Cheese Quesadilla Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make a vegetarian quesadilla recipe with beans:
- Red onion
- Cooked black beans
- Mozzarella cheese
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
How to Make Vegetarian Quesadillas with Guacamole
Follow these steps to make black bean and vegetable quesadillas with guacamole:
1. To make this vegetarian quesadilla recipe with beans, first prep the vegetables. To do this, dice the tomatoes and onion into small pieces. Then chop the avocado into chunks. Mash the avocado with a fork, then mix in the salt.
2. Now prepare the tortilla for the Tiktok folding trick. Start by cutting the tortilla from the center all the way across to one edge.
3. You will have four quarters on your quesadilla after making the cut. Add mozzarella cheese to two of quarters, on opposite sides from one another. Then place the diced tomato on one of the quarters with cheese. Add the diced onion on the other section with cheese.
4. Next, spoon the mashed avocado into the remaining two empty sections of the tortilla. (You can also use a traditional Mexican guacamole in lieu of the mashed avocado. Learn how to make guacamole here.) Then place the black beans on top of both sections with the mashed avocado.
5. Now fold the quesadilla using the easy folded tortilla quesadilla tik tok hack. To do this, flip one triangle over the next one while moving clockwise around the quesadilla.
6. Once prepared, heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat, depending on your pan. Then add butter to the hot skillet. Once the butter is melted, cook the cheese quesadilla on both sides, This should take about 3-4 minutes for each side.
7. While the vegetarian quesadillas cook, prepare the sour cream mixture. To do this, combine the sour cream with chopped cilantro (or chopped parsley) along with the lime juice. Mix well to combine.
8. Once the quesadillas with guacamole are done cooking, serve immediately with sour cream on top.
How to Freeze Vegetarian Black Bean Quesadillas
This guacamole quesadilla recipe freezes well. Here is how to freeze black bean quesadillas
- Allow the quesadillas to cool, then wrap in plastic wrap.
- Now lay the wrapped vegetarian quesadillas in a single layer on a cookie sheet to freeze.
- Once they are frozen, transfer to a freezer bag.
You can freeze your tortilla guacamole recipe for up to four months. However, they are best when used within two months.
To reheat frozen black bean and vegetable quesadillas, unwrap then microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes. You can also bake them at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Black Bean and Cheese Quesadillas
- ½ Red onion, diced
- 2 Ripe avocados
- 4 large-sized tortillas
- ½ Cup cooked black beans
- 1 ½ Cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter
Sour Cream Topping
- ¼ Cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
How to Make Vegetarian Quesadillas with Beans
- Dice the tomatoes and onion into small pieces. Then chop the avocado into chunks. Mash it and mix in the salt.
- To prepare the tortilla for the Tiktok folding trick, cut the tortilla from the center to one edge.
- After you make the cut, you will have four quarters. In two of quarters, on opposite sides from one another, add mozzarella cheese. Place the diced tomato on one of the quarters with cheese and the diced onion on the other section with cheese.
- Now spoon the mashed avocado into the remaining two empty sections of the tortilla. Then place the black beans on top of the avocado.
- Fold the quesadilla next by flipping one triangle over the next one while moving clockwise around the quesadilla.
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Then add the butter to the hot skillet. Once the butter is melted, cook the cheese quesadilla on both sides, about 3-4 minutes each side.
How to Make Sour Cream Topping
- To make the sour cream mixture, combine the sour cream, chopped cilantro or chopped parsley and lime juice. Mix well.
- When the quesadillas with guacamole are done cooking, serve immediately by topping with sour cream.
You may use cooked vegetables for this black bean and vegetable quesadilla in lieu of raw veggies, if desired. Cook the onion along with red bell pepper, carrot and zucchini in a skillet. Then add them with the rest of the ingredients.
Replace the mashed avocado in the recipe with a traditional guacamole recipe.
Add extra flavors to these vegetarian quesadillas by including additional ingredients such as fresh spinach or arugula with feta cheese and mushrooms.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 572Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 824mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 11gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
What to Serve With Vegetarian Quesadillas With Guacamole
I often eat these guacamole quesadillas by themselves. However, you can also serve them with the following:
- Mexican Rice
- Refried Beans
- Nachos and Salsa
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Salad
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Fresh Corn Salsa
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
If you love Mexican food, then be sure to try these other Mexican inspired food and drink recipes:
- Authentic Mexican Guacamole
- Mexican Watermelon Jicama Salad
- Frozen Mango Margaritas
- Mexican Lettuce Wraps
- Red Pozole Recipe with Pork
This recipe for guacamole quesadillas originally appeared on Becca Ink.