Heart Shaped Soap Recipe for DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts
This no-lye homemade heart shaped soap makes a lovely DIY Valentine’s Day gift! Formulated with naturally hydrating skin care ingredients, this easy rebatched heart shaped soap won’t strip skin. So it can help combat the drying effects of winter. Keep reading reading to learn how to craft this easy heart shaped soap recipe to add to your winter skin care routine or to give as lovely DIY Valentine’s Day gifts for natural beauty.
Need an easy DIY Valentine’s Day gift idea? Then whip up this easy, no-lye required, homemade heart shaped soap for Valentine’s Day! It’s perfect for anyone who loves homemade bath and beauty products and is made with extra hydrating oils for combating the drying effects of winter.
No-Lye Heart Shaped Soap Recipe
© Rebecca D. Dillon
1 bar of cold process homemade soap (or at least 3 oz. by weight in soap slivers)
2 Tablespoons milk (coconut milk or water)
1 teaspoon wheat germ oil
2 teaspoons illipe butter (or cocoa butter) grated
1 teaspoon avocado oil
1 mL vitamin e oil
1/2 mL – 1 mL essential oil or fragrance oil of choice for scent, optional
pinch of colorant and/or mica, optional
Heart Shaped Soap Making Notes & Tips:
I used a bar of unscented, handmade goat milk soap for this heart shaped soap recipe, thus it was a light tan in color. You can use a whiter bar of soap if you’d like your colorant to pop more or use a bar of colored soap.
If your soap already has a fragrance, there’s no need to add more. But you can re-scent a bar that has lost its scent or simply add fragrance to an unscented bar. Make sure you use a true soap. “Real” soaps are made from fat and alkali. Ivory is a true soap, however most other soaps are not. Rather they are comprised of commercial foaming agents that “act like” soap. Handmade soap is best, though not required, and should weight at least 3oz. Alternately, you can also used leftover soap slivers for this project.
Skin Care Benefits of Ingredients Used:
I chose the additives for this soap based on their skin conditioning properties with dry, winter skin in mind. They are as follows:
- Wheat Germ Oil – This natural oil is high in Vitamin E, A, D, proteins, Lecithin, and Squalene. It is often used to help soothe rough skin as well as cracking and chafing, and also to help reduce the appearance wrinkles.
- Illipe Butter – This exotic butter adds regenerative and hydrating skin care properties to your handmade creations. It is beneficial for treating various skin and scalp disorders. It is renowned for its superior moisturizing properties and its ability to restore elasticity to skin.
- Avocado Oil – Rich in Vitamin A, B1, B2, D, and E, avocado oil also contains amino acids, sterols, pantothenic acid, lecithin, and other essential fatty acids. It’s excellent for soothing skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis, and other skin ailments and is gentle even for those with sensitive skin.
- Vitamin E oil – This oil helps to prevent rancidity in cosmetics preparations and also acts as an antioxidant.
How to Make Heart Shaped Soap:
To get started you will first need to grate your bar of soap. My son helped me with this as grating soap tends to make my hands cramp.
Your soap flakes will look like the above photo. If you are using more than a 3oz. bar of soap, you may weigh out 3oz. of soap flakes to make one bar of heart shaped soap. Or, you can use all of the soap flakes and roll the remaining soap into a soap ball for your own sink or shower! Alternately, you can use excess soap flakes to make your own homemade laundry detergent.
Now combine your soap flakes in a pot on the stove top along with 2 Tablespoons of milk and 2 teaspoons of grated illipe butter. (Illipe butter is solid at room temperature and similar to cocoa butter. If you are unable to grate the illipe butter due to the container, simply scrape it out with a metal spoon, then measure out 2 level teaspoons.) Heat on med-low to medium heat stirring occasionally.
Once, completely melted, your soap will look similar to the above picture. Once you reach this stage, stir in the remaining ingredients – the avocado oil, wheat germ oil, vitamin e, fragrance and colorant if desired. I used a small amount of Ultramarine Pink Pigment Powder as the colorant for my soap and rose and violet scented fragrance oil.
Once you have thoroughly mixed all the ingredients, use a spoon or spatula to scoop the soap into your heart shaped mold. Once the mold has been filled, press the soap gently into the mold to be sure there are no air bubbles. After I filled my mold with soap, just for fun I dusted a small amount of shimmering pearl mica powder on the top of the soap. (Alternately you can mix mica powder throughout the soap for a shimmering effect throughout the entire soap bar.)
Next, pop the mold into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. Finally, remove mold from the freezer, then gently press the soap out of the mold. Set aside in a cool, dry location to finish drying.
Once the heart shaped soap has hardened fully, you can gift wrap and then deliver your present to the intended recipient! (Psst. Be sure to check out my free printable soap labels!) If you’d like to include a Valentine’s Day card with your gift, then check out my free printable love bird note cards! They are blank inside so you can include your own special message.
If you love my easy, no-lye heart shaped soap recipe, then be sure to pin it to Pinterest for later!
You can also print out my free heart inspired gift wrap (pictured above.) This free Valentine’s Day printable gift wrap includes paper and gift tags that feature hearts, heart carved stumps and dachshunds with decorative heart dog collars.
More DIY Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas
For more DIY Valentine’s Day gift idea, visit my DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts board on Pinterest! Or check one my other DIY Valentine’s Day gift ideas.
- Emulsified Whipped Sugar Scrub Recipe
- You Spice Up My Life Valentine’s Day Gifts for Him
- Easy Melt and Pour Soap Recipe with Sugar Scrub Hearts
- DIY Valentine’s Day Geode Soaps
- You’re Scent-sational! Printable Valentines Cards with DIY Perfume Minis
- Natural Rose Body Balm Recipe with Printable Labels
- DIY Conversation Heart Soaps with Custom Messages
- Strawberry & Chocolate Sugar Scrub Bar Recipe