Yogurt Face Mask Recipe for Anti-Aging Skin Care
This anti-aging DIY yogurt face mask is suitable for all skin types. However, it’s especially nice for those of us trying to fight the appearance of aging. Because yogurt contains lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid that dissolves dead skin cells, the use of yogurt in a facial mask can help to diminish the appearance of lines and wrinkles as well as fight breakouts.
Yogurt Facial Mask for Mature Skin
My anti-aging yogurt face mask recipe contains all natural ingredients that help to moisturize both aging and/or sensitive skin while also helping to prevent acne and premature aging. It can also help to calm irritated skin and reduce discoloration. Another plus? It’s incredibly easy to make!
And, because my yogurt face mask recipe is a dry mask, it has a much longer shelf life than a wet mask. Simply mix up a master batch. Then store the dry mix in an airtight container until ready to combine with a liquid and use.
Benefits of Yogurt Face Masks for Skin
Curious about all of the skin care benefits of yogurt? Here are the top ten reasons you should be using yogurt to create homemade skin care products such a yogurt soap or facial masks:
- Yogurt is full of lactic acid, which can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging.
- It is a natural exfoliator, helping to remove dead skin cells, leaving skin soft and smooth.
- The probiotics in yogurt help to balance the skin’s natural balance of bacteria, reducing acne breakouts.
- Yogurt is full of vitamins and minerals that nourish the skin, giving it a healthy glow.
- It can help to reduce inflammation and redness, soothing irritated skin. 6. Its cooling effects can help to reduce puffiness and dark circles around the eyes.
- Yogurt is gentle enough to be used on sensitive skin types.
- Its moisturizing properties can help to lock in moisture to keep skin hydrated and plump.
- Applying yogurt to the skin can help to reduce the appearance of discoloration and dark spots.
- It can help to reduce the appearance of scars, providing a more even skin tone.
Anti-Aging Yogurt Face Mask Recipe
© Rebecca D. Dillon
Using yogurt as a face mask can have many skin benefits! Yogurt is rich in lactic acid, which acts as an exfoliant to remove dead skin cells, as well as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can nourish and protect the skin. It can help reduce redness, improve skin tone and texture, and even reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Additionally, yogurt is hydrating, so it can help keep your skin looking and feeling soft and supple.
If you’re ready to improve your skin’s appearance, then give this soothing recipe a try!
These are the ingredients you’ll need to create this DIY clay mask with yogurt:
- 1 oz. cosmetic clay: Clay is an excellent material for making face masks for skin because it helps to absorb excess oil, impurities, and toxins from the skin, leaving it feeling refreshed and healthy. Clay can also help reduce inflammation, soothe irritation, and improve skin tone. It is a natural and gentle way to detoxify and nourish the skin. I recommend that you use bentonite clay for acne prone skin. Alternately, Rhassoul Clay is an ideal choice if you have sensitive or dry skin. (You can learn about the different types of clay and their benefits for skin here if you’d like to customize this recipe further.)
- .5 oz. yogurt powder: Rather than using fresh yogurt, which has a short shelf life, I chose to use powdered yogurt instead. This allows you to mix up a shelf stable mask recipe that’s ready to go when you need it! I previously covered the skin benefits of yogurt. Therefore, there should be zero doubt about how great this ingredient is for facial masks.
- .5 oz. rose kaolin clay: A wonderful, natural skin care ingredient, rose clay can help to improve the health and appearance of your skin. It is rich in minerals, including silica, iron, magnesium, calcium, and potassium, which can help to nourish and detoxify your skin. Its absorbent properties can help to draw out dirt, oil, and toxins from the skin, while its exfoliating properties can help to unclog pores and reduce blackheads. In addition, this facial mask ingredient can also help to soften the skin and leave it feeling smoother.
- .5 oz. marshmallow root powder: Marshmallow root powder is a natural remedy that has been used for centuries to treat a variety of skin issues. Its skin benefits make it ideal for use in a face mask recipe. A good source of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can help to nourish and protect the skin, this ingredients can be used to treat dry and itchy skin, reduce inflammation, and help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Marshmallow root powder can also help to improve skin elasticity, allowing it to remain soft and supple.
- .25 oz. corn silk powder: Corn silk powder is a less common ingredient used for skin care. However, I found that it made a lovely addition to my DIY yogurt face mask. Corn silk powder is said to have many beneficial properties for skin health, such as helping to reduce inflammation, moisturizing the skin, and reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It is also known to reduce dryness, itchiness, and irritation, while improving overall skin tone and texture. Additionally, it can help to reduce dark circles and puffiness under the eyes, and may even be beneficial for treating acne. Finally, corn silk powder is also rich in vitamin A, which can help to protect against free radical damage and oxidative stress.
- 1 Tablespoon calendula petals: Calendula is one of my favorite botanicals for skin care — especially for sensitive skin! Calendula is flower widely praised for its skin benefits. It is known for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antiseptic properties. Often used to soothe skin irritations and rashes, this herb may also help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and age spots, as well as fight acne and other skin blemishes. It can also be used to treat sunburns, promote wound healing, and even help to stimulate collagen production for a more youthful-looking complexion. Overall, calendula is an excellent natural ingredient for anyone looking to improve their skin health.
- 1 mL (about 20 drops) frankincense (Boswellia Serrata) essential oil: Frankincense essential oil can be a great addition to any face mask recipe. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which can help to reduce redness, clear up blemishes, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Frankincense can also help to reduce the appearance of dark spots, as well as improve the overall tone and texture of your skin. Adding this essential oil to my yogurt face mask will help to promote a healthy, glowing complexion.
How to Make a Yogurt Face Mask
Here is how to make a natural clay mask with yogurt powder to incorporate into your beauty regimen:
- Using a digital scale, weigh out all of the dry ingredients into a medium sized glass bowl or 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup.
- Whisk dry ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.
- Now, measure out the frankincense essential oil using a graduated plastic transfer pipette.
- Add the essential oil to your yogurt mask mixture a drop at a time whisking as you go.
- Once the essential oil has been evenly distributed throughout the mask, it is ready to be packaged.
How to Package the Dry Face Mask
Once you’ve made the yogurt face mask recipe, package the dry mix in an airtight container of your choice.
I packed my dry mix of the this beauty and skin care product in a 9 oz. clear straight sided glass jar with silver metal lug cap that I had on hand. Other packaging ideas for this DIY yogurt face mask include 2.3 oz. clear glass thick wall cosmetic jars with black lined cap or plastic test tubes with cork stoppers.
How to Use a DIY Yogurt Face Mask
- To use this yogurt facial mask, simply combine about a Tablespoon of the dry face mask with enough milk, water, honey or a carrier oil of your choice to form a paste.
- Then apply to freshly cleansed skin avoiding the eye area.
- Leave on 3-5 minutes, then rinse and gently pat dry.
- Follow with your favorite, moisturizing facial toner, serum and moisturizer. (I really like this green tea hyaluronic acid serum as well as this simple, DIY anti-aging serum. Both will help to lock in moisture to keep skin hydrated and can be followed with your favorite facial moisturizer.)
Labeling Facial Masks to Sell
If you’d like to make my yogurt face mask to sell, then you’ll need to label your product according to FDA guidelines. If you are unsure about labeling laws then I highly recommend the book, Soap and Cosmetic Labeling: How to Follow the Rules and Regs Explained in Plain English, by Marie Gale.
Don’t want to make your own? You can shop for artisan made yogurt face masks on Etsy here.
If you like my recipe for creating an anti-aging yogurt face mask, then you may also like my foaming ginger & turmeric face polish recipe. This foaming ginger & turmeric face polish recipe is wonderful for maturing skin and is crafted with a blend of natural carrier & essential oils prized for their antioxidant and anti-aging properties.
To discover more of my homemade bath and body recipes, be sure to follow my DIY Bath and Body board on Pinterest here. You can also find and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Or subscribe to Soap Deli News via email for future updates, DIY projects and recipes.