How to Get Hair to Grow Faster: Beauty Tips, Diet Changes + Recipes
Whether you’ve experienced hair loss or your hair isn’t growing as fast as it used to, there are ways to get your hair to grow faster naturally. Learn about the common factors that can contribute to hair loss, discover easy diet changes you can make for healthier looking hair, plus learn how to get hair to grow faster using natural ingredients.
Ways to Grow Hair Faster
If your hair is starting to thin, there are several ways to learn how to get hair to grow faster. From diet and supplements to essential oils, you can promote hair growth and improve scalp health.
There are several reasons why your hair starts thinning. Some things you can’t control, like age or heredity. However, there are some things that you can control like your diet or adding essential oils to your hair care routine.
What Factors Contribute to Hair Loss?
There are a number of factors that may contribute to hair loss. These include the following:
- Heredity: The most common cause of hair loss for both men and women is heredity, which usually happens as we age. This hair loss happens gradually and in a pattern. For women, this is usually thinning around the crown of the scalp.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions or hormonal changes can cause hair loss. For women, this is typically during pregnancy or menopause. Thyroid problems can also cause thinning hair.
- Medication: Some medications can cause hair loss. These can include medications for arthritis, heart disease, high blood pressure, gout or cancer.
- Stress: A stressful event can cause hair thinning for several months after the event. This type of hair loss is usually temporary and will grow back.
- Hairstyles: Excessive hair styling or wearing your hair in styles that put a lot of pressure on your hair can cause hair loss.
Diet Changes to Improve Hair Growth
You can get your hair to grow faster, and improve your hair’s appearance and health, by making several easy changes to your diet. As nutrition is key to both healthy skin and hair, these diet changes can improve hair growth.
Here are the top changes you can make to your diet:
- Eggs: Eggs contain both biotin and protein. Biotin is essential for your body to produce keratin, which is the protein that hair is made of. Your hair follicles are made of protein, and your body can not make hair without protein.
- Berries: Berries are high in Vitamin C, an antioxidant that can protect the hair follicle and prevent damage caused by free radicals. Your body also uses Vitamin C to produce collagen for stronger hair to prevent breaking.
- Spinach: Spinach is also high in Vitamin C, and it has Vitamin A. Vitamin A helps your body produce sebum, which moisturizes your scalp to keep it healthy. Spinach is also high in iron. Iron deficiency has been linked to hair loss.
- Fish: Fish is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids that can improve hair density and reduce hair loss.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene that your body converts to Vitamin A.
- Avocados: Avocados are high in Vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps promote scalp health.
- Nuts and Seeds: Nuts and seeds are also high in Vitamin E, and they contain fatty acids and zinc that can promote hair growth.
- Bell Peppers: Bell peppers are high in Vitamin C to promote hair growth.
- Shrimp: Shrimp are high in protein, zinc, iron, B vitamins and Vitamin D to promote hair health.
It’s important to note that a deficiency in protein or vitamins may cause thinning hair. However, if you already get enough of these substances in your diet, you may not see hair growth. Getting more protein or vitamins than your body needs will not result in more growth.
How to Get Hair to Grow Faster
Let’s face it. Not all of you want to resort to hair extensions or hair plugs for fabulous looking hair. Especially not when there are so many natural ways to encourage hair growth.
Following are some of my favorite ways to get hair to grow faster without resorting to surgery or chemical shampoos:
- Eat a healthy diet with protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin and iron.
- A scalp massage can boost circulation to promote hair growth.
- Avoid using heat tools for styling. Let hair dry naturally and use heatless curling rods. If you do use heat styling, use a heat protectant to protect your hair.
- Avoid coloring your hair with hair dye, which can damage your hair and cause breakage.
- Instead of hair dye, color your hair with a henna hair treatment. It improves hair and promotes growth and can also act as a natural remedy for thinning hair on females.
- Take hair growth vitamins. Hair growth supplements with biotin and collagen are a great way to grow hair faster as they provide additional, targeted nutrition.
- Some essential oils can promote hair growth. Use them in one of the DIY recipes below or use them to make your own homemade shampoo and conditioner.
- Use a herbal hair conditioner to strengthen your hair and promote growth.
Essential Oils for Hair to Grow Hair Faster
While essential oils don’t necessarily make hair grow faster, they do offer benefits that help to promote hair growth.
Here are essential oils you can use to promote hair growth so hair grows out faster and looks healthier:
- Clary Sage: Clary sage essential oil can make hair stronger and promote hair growth. Learn more about how to use clary sage for hair here.
- Peppermint: Peppermint essential oil can stimulate the scalp and hair follicles. It also boosts blood circulation, which brings oxygen and nutrients to the area. Peppermint is cooling, so use it in small amounts well diluted.
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil is said to promote skin cell generation to make hair grow faster. It’s also antimicrobial to improve scalp health.
- Tea Tree: Tea tree oil is also antimicrobial. When used topically, it can improve scalp health and reduce bacteria and other microbes that can block the hair follicles.
- Ylang Ylang: Ylang ylang essential oil can help balance oil production on your scalp. It’s good for dry scalp because it helps stimulate oil production.
- Rosemary: Rosemary essential oil is said to boost cellular generation to promote new hair growth. It helps dilate blood vessels on the scalp so the scalp can get oxygen and nutrients to grow hair.
- Lemongrass: Lemongrass essential oil can make hair follicles stronger and reduce dandruff. It’s also an astringent that can help keep your hair clean.
- Thyme: Thyme essential oil can stimulate the scalp to prevent hair loss. Thyme is a strong oil, so it should be used in a low concentration in a carrier oil.
- Cedarwood: Cedarwood essential oil can help balance oil production on your scalp. It is antimicrobial, so it can help reduce dandruff.
- Bergamot: Bergamot essential oil can naturally kill microbes on your scalp to promote scalp health.
Carrier Oils for Hair Care
You will need to dilute essential oils for hair growth. I recommend using a carrier oil that can also promote hair health. Good ones to try are grapeseed oil for oily hair, flaxseed oil for damaged hair or avocado oil for dry hair. Castor oil is a heavy oil, but it’s excellent for your hair. (Try this hair mask recipe with castor oil to promote hair growth.)
I recommend using no more than 12 drops of essential oil per one ounce of carrier oil. You can then use your homemade hair oil as a hot oil hair treatment or in a homemade hair mask. You can also add essential oils to shampoo and conditioner to customize your hair care routine.
To learn how to choose oils for hair health, visit this post on carrier oils for oil.
Hair Growth Mask Recipe
This hair is an easy way to promote hair growth for long, healthy looking locks. Made using an essential oil blend that contains both rosemary and lavender, this one-time wash off mask can be customized for both dry or oily hair. Ready to use in just 5 minutes, this hair mask recipe for hair growth will last about 2 days in the refrigerator. For best results, I recommend using this mask right away.
These are the ingredients you need to make a DIY hair growth mask:
- 1/2 Tablespoon Castor oil
- 2 drop Palmarosa essential oil
- 3 drops Beauty Within essential oil blend
- 1/2 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Egg white for oily hair OR 1 Egg yolk for dry hair
Follow these steps to make this hair growth mask:
- Combine the castor oil, honey and essential oils together in a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- In a separate container, separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Whisk either the yolk or the white, depending on your hair type, until the egg begins to froth.
- Now stir the whipped egg into the mixture of castor oil, honey and essential oils. Mix well.
- Apply this hair growth mask to hair starting at the roots. Continue over your entire head down to the ends of your hair. If desired, cover hair with a shower cap or plastic bag.
- Leave the hair mask on for one hour. Then wash your hair using a sulfate free shampoo or syndet solid shampoo bar. Condition as usual.
More Hair Care Recipes to Improve Hair Growth
For more ways to get hair to grow faster, try one of these DIY hair care recipes to nourish and condition your hair:
- Herbal Hair Conditioner Recipe
- DIY Hair Masks
- Hair Oil Treatment with Jojoba Oil
- Hair Mask Recipe for Hair Growth
- Clary Sage Hair Care Recipes
Also be sure to check out these tips on how to PH-balance your hair care routine for stronger, healthier hair.
You can discover more recipes for DIY hair care by following Soap Deli News on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. Or subscribe to my newsletter for more beauty tips and ideas.