How to Use Clary Sage for Hair: Plus Natural Hair Care Recipes
Learn how to use clary sage for hair. Discover the benefits of clary sage essential oil as well as how to make three easy clary sage recipes for hair care. Plus explore making hair care products with my collection of other natural hair care recipes for homemade hair masks, hot oil treatments, homemade shampoo and conditioners, a hair lightening spray, hair detangler and more.
Clary Sage Essential Oil Benefits
Clary sage essential oil isn’t usually in people’s top 10 must have essential oils, but it should be. It has several uses for both aromatherapy and topical application for your hair and skin.
In aromatherapy, clary sage is often used for women’s hormone regulation as one of the best essential oils for menopause and hot flashes. This is because it promotes clarity and relaxation while reducing anxiety and irritability.
Skin Care Benefits
Clary sage essential oil is also often used in skin care for most skin types. It feels cooling on the skin, and it can naturally reduce inflammation and balance oil production to prevent acne. It’s high in antioxidants which help to reduce free radicals. Likewise, it also tightens and tones the skin, making it great choice for many skin care recipes.
Clary Sage Essential Oil Benefits for Hair
Then, of course, you can also use clary sage essential oil for hair care. Clary sage benefits for hair include stimulating hair growth for thicker and stronger hair. It can also help reduce flaking and itching from dandruff and dry skin on your scalp. Since it’s naturally antimicrobial, it can reduce bacteria and other microbes that live on your scalp that can clog pores and cause an itchy scalp. Therefore, clary sage can promote hair growth as a natural remedy for thinning hair.
For these reasons, clary sage is one of my favorite oils.
Learn more about clary sage essential oil benefits for hair as well as how to use it in three easy natural hair care recipes.
Can I Use Clary Sage Essential Oil for Hair?
Yes, you can use clary sage essential oil for hair Its benefits for natural hair care are numerous! In fact, it’s one of my favorite essential oils for both hair health and scalp health. Clary sage contains several compounds that are antimicrobial. These compounds can help reduce bacteria, fungus and other microbes that live on the scalp. If left untreated, these microbes can cause itching and flakes.
Antioxidants are another one of the clary sage benefits for hair. Antioxidants work to reduce free radicals in the body to reduce cellular damage and signs of aging. For your scalp and hair, these antioxidants help tone and tighten the skin on your scalp. This can make your hair stronger and encourage new hair growth to reduce hair loss.
If you have oily hair, clary sage can balance oil production. With continued use, you’ll notice that your body naturally produces less oil for better looking hair.
Is Clary Sage Good for Hair Growth?
Yes, clary sage is good for hair growth. Clary sage for hair can balance oil production on your scalp. This helps reduce oily scalp and oily hair. These clary sage benefits for hair can also help promote stronger hair to prevent breakage and promote hair growth.
How Do You Use Clary Sage Oil for Hair?
There are many ways to use clary sage oil for oil. To enjoy the benefits of clary sage as part of your natural hair care routine, simply apply diluted clary sage essential oil topically onto your hair.
You can use clary sage essential oil topically for your hair care routine by including it in a hot oil treatment, a hair mask or a hair rinse. I’ll share those recipes below so you can start reaping the hair care benefits of clary sage right away.
However, here are some other easy ideas for using clary sage essential oil:
For a daily shampoo, I like the Rooted Beauty Hydrate and Nourish Shampoo for Dry and Dull Hair. It’s a natural shampoo that has clary sage essential oil benefits for hair and other botanical ingredients that are high in antioxidants and vitamins for your hair. It also has a matching conditioner, and you can save money when you buy the set together. (Buy yours from Grove and choose a free gift when you order!)
While the addition of clary sage to your daily shampoo or conditioner promotes hair health, I don’t recommend just adding clary sage to your favorite shampoo and conditioner.
Adding extra ingredients can break the emulsion, which can make the oil and water separate. Commercial formulas are made with a preservative since they contain water. Adding extra ingredients may upset the preservative balance, leading to bacteria, mold or fungus growth. Yuck! Instead, learn how to make homemade shampoo and conditioner with essential oils customized for your hair type using specialty bases formulated for this purpose.
You can also use clary sage essential oil in these hair care recipes for a detangling spray recipe or this sea salt shampoo bar recipe. All you need to do is swap out the essential oil called for in these natural hair care recipes with clary sage essential oil.
Three Easy Clary Sage Hair Care Recipes
Following are three easy hair recipes you make using clary sage essential oil as an ingredient.
Clary Sage Hot Oil Treatment
Perhaps the easiest way to experience clary sage benefits for hair is with a hot oil treatment. It’s a simple recipe, and you only need two ingredients: a carrier oil and clary sage essential oil. You can use your choice of carrier oils for your hair. I recommend using castor oil, avocado oil, argan oil or grapeseed oil. All of these oils are moisturizing and help promote hair and scalp health.
Hot Oil Treatment Directions
Here is how to make a clary sage hot oil treatment:
- Simply combine the castor oil or the carrier oil of your choice and clary sage essential oil in a small glass cup or bowl.
- Set the bowl with the oil in a bowl of hot water. This gently heats the hot oil treatment without creating hot spots that can burn your skin.
How to Use a Clary Sage Hot Oil Treatment
Here is how to use a hot oil treatment with clary sage essential oil:
When the oil is warm, apply it to your hair and massage it into your scalp. Use a wide toothed comb to distribute it all over your hair. Then cover your hair with a shower cap to trap the heat in.
Tip: You can then wet a towel with warm water and wrap it around your head or use a heated shower cap. Using heat is optional, but it helps open the cuticle so the clary sage hot oil treatment can penetrate deeper into the shaft of the hair.
Let the oil sit for 20 minutes. Then wash with a gentle shampoo and condition as usual. You can use a clary sage hot oil treatment once a week.
Clary Sage Hair Rinse Recipe with Apple Cider Vinegar
An apple cider vinegar hair rinse recipe is easy to make. It may not smell the best with apple cider vinegar, but this type of rinse can help reduce frizziness and make your hair shine. This rinse also helps reduce product buildup for better looking hair. Use 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for dry hair or 4 tablespoons for oily hair in this clary sage hair rinse recipe.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse Directions
Here is how to make an apple cider vinegar rinse for hair:
- Combine the water, apple cider vinegar and clary sage essential oil in a squirt bottle. You can also use a cup, but a squirt bottle is easier to use.
- Shake to mix.
How to Use a Clary Sage Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse
Here is how to use a clary sage apple cider vinegar hair rinse:
After you wash and condition your hair, squirt or pour the hair rinse over your hair. You can catch it in a bowl and reapply two or three times to ensure that you get it in all of your hair.
Do not rinse this out. The vinegar scent will disappear in a few minutes. Be very careful not to get this in your eyes since it will sting with the apple cider vinegar and essential oils.
Alternately, you can halve this recipe and put it in a spray bottle. Spray on damp hair after washing and conditioning. Store it in the fridge since it doesn’t not have a preservative.
Clary Sage Hair Mask Recipe
Use a clary sage hair mask recipe to deep condition your hair and promote hair growth. Use this moisturizing hair mask on dry hair and let it sit for at least 30 minutes before washing. The coconut oil is a heavy oil, but the shea butter does not leave your hair oils and balances the heavy coconut oil.
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 6 drops clary sage essential oil
How to Make a Moisturizing Hair Mask
Here’s how to make this natural hair mask recipe to moisturize dry hair:
- Melt the coconut oil and shea butter in the microwave in 30 second bursts. Stir between each interval. It should be melted in about 40 to 60 seconds, so watch it carefully after the first 30 seconds.
- When it’s melted, let it cool for a few minutes.
- Add the clary sage and stir well for a minute.
- Place it in the fridge to let it harden.
How to Use a Hair Mask to Moisturize Hair
To use this clary sage hair mask, apply to dry hair and let sit for at least 20 minutes. Then wash and condition hair as usual.
I hope these clary sage for hair recipes inspire you to make your own natural hair treatments stronger and healthier hair.
More Natural Hair Care Recipes
For more DIY ways to care for your hair, try making hair care products with these other natural hair care recipes:
- Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse: Learn how to make a natural apple cider vinegar hair rinse recipe for shiny hair that looks and feels healthy. Plus a bonus herbal ingredient that help deter graying hair.
- DIY Hair Masks: Nourish your hair with these easy hair care recipes for DIY hair masks. Created for every hair type, these easy hair mask recipes can be made at home using simple ingredients from your kitchen.
- How to Make Homemade Shampoo + Conditioner: Learn about the different types of homemade shampoos, why they do or don’t work, plus how to create your own custom essential oil blends for your homemade shampoo and conditioner that fit your ever changing hair care needs.
- Best Hair Growth Supplements: Naturally grow longer, healthier looking hair from the inside out using natural hair growth vitamins and supplements. This natural vitamin for hair growth gives you proven results with scientifically backed ingredients, including Cynatine HNS Keratin and collagen.
- Herbal Hair Conditioner Recipe: Learn how to make an herbal hair conditioner recipe to speed hair growth, improve manageability, boost shine and soften hair. Created with a blend of natural botanicals known for their hair care benefits, this herbal conditioning hair treatment brings dry or dull hair back to life in just 30-minutes.
- How to Use Hydrosols for Hair: Hydrosols are a wonderful way to add the benefits of plants to your natural skin care and beauty routine. Learn how to use hydrosols for skin, face and hair and explore my collection of unique hydrosol recipes to craft plant based toners, lotions and soaps.
- DIY Hair Lightener Spray: Discover different ways for to naturally lighten your hair with everyday ingredients, such as honey, chamomile, lemon juice, and salt. You will also learn how to create a DIY hair lightener spray, that sets soft highlights and gives your mane a healthy, sun-kissed glow.
- What to Expect from a Henna Hair Treatment: Learn about the amazing benefits of henna for hair and what to expect from a henna hair treatment. I share my experience with using henna over the years, plus before and after photos of my own henna hair treatment.
- DIY Hair Detangler: This simple detangling spray recipe for hair is naturally scented, is easy to make and requires just four basic ingredients.
- Natural Remedy for Thinning Hair: This simple home remedy for thinning hair naturally builds volume and thickens hair while also increasing strength, texture and shine – even if you can’t regrow the hair you’ve lost! It also helps with itchy scalp and dandruff.
- Hair Mask Recipe for Hair Growth: Learn how to condition, hydrate and encourage hair growth this with natural hair mask recipe for hair growth. Say goodbye to split ends and damaged hair, while also encouraging hair growth with this homemade hair mask recipe with castor oil.
- Leave in Hair Conditioner + Shine Spray: Love your locks with these coffee infused leave in hair conditioner & shine spray recipes! They make a wonderful addition to your daily beauty routine for natural hair care and are perfect for dry or damaged hair.
- Moisturizing Hair Mask Recipe: Learn how to make a natural moisturizing hair mask recipe for hair care. Formulated with hydrating cocoa butter, a blend of mint essential oils and sea buckthorn oil, this homemade hair mask is the perfect remedy for dry, dull hair. Indulge your hair care routine with this easy moisturizing mask recipe for healthy looking, smooth, shiny hair!
I hope you love my homemade hair care recipes. You can discover more beauty hacks by following Soap Deli News on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. Or subscribe to my newsletter for more hair care ideas.