Keto Sausage Biscuits Recipe: Low Carb Breakfast Idea
Learn how to make keto sausage biscuits for a delicious high protein, low carb breakfast idea. This is an easy recipe that uses cream cheese and almond flour to make homemade biscuits, so they are lower in carbs than traditional biscuits. The addition of cheddar cheese gives these almond flour biscuits extra flavor for a delicious and healthy breakfast.
Keto and Sausage Biscuits
Even though I’m not following a keto diet right now, I am watching my carbs. In my experience, carbs and sugars can cause a fibro flare and inflammation in my body. Personally, I feel better when I limit carbs and avoid excess sugars. I also find that I feel fuller longer when I eat foods high in protein.
As a Virginia Southerner, sausage and biscuits was pretty much a staple breakfast when I was a kid. It’s still one of my parents favorite breakfast recipes to make. Sometimes Mom makes biscuits with sausage gravy to mix things up. The biscuits are easy to make from scratch or from a can. And the sausage is a good protein for the morning. (Now that Mom is retired, she is pretty much all about using canned biscuits and local Tennessee sausage.)
However, traditional biscuits aren’t allowed on a keto diet, so I made some changes and used keto-friendly ingredients to make these high protein, low carb breakfast sausage biscuits with cream cheese and almond flour.
Is Sausage Okay on Keto?
If you’re new to eating a keto diet, you probably want to know if sausage is okay eat on keto? Generally, yes, sausage is okay on keto, but you do need to read labels carefully. Sausage is made of ground meats. Therefore, there could be carbs in binding ingredients or other ingredients that are added to firm up the sausage. Some brands use wheat flour, soy flour or even corn syrup to bind together the meat.
In addition, sausage usually has spices to give it more flavor, but some brands also add sugar or even fruits for flavor. These can add carbs, so make sure to read the ingredients carefully.
When you’re shopping for keto friendly sausage, always read the ingredients and the nutritional label. Look for the sugar count and net carb count. Net carbs are the number of carbs that will be absorbed by your body. To find net carbs, take the total number of carbs and subtract the carbs from fiber.
For most people on keto, you’ll want to stay between 20 to 50 grams of carbs a day. Depending on your meal plan for the day, you should be fine making keto sausage biscuits as a low carb breakfast.
Does Breakfast Sausage Have Carbs?
Breakfast sausage tends to be sweeter than regular sausage, which can increase carbs from sugar. Again, you’ll need to read the labels as some breakfast sausage may contain unwanted carbs, while others do not.
To avoid unnecessary fillers in your sausage, you can form your own sausage patties using lean raw, ground sausage. Simply press the ground sausage firmly into patties. You can also add spices, such as this pork sausage seasoning, and an egg white to bind the patties together. However these ingredients are optional, and the egg can be omitted if you do not wish to use eggs.
Are Biscuits Okay on Keto?
Is it okay to eat biscuits on a keto diet? Sorry, but regular biscuits are a big no no if you’re following a keto or low carb diet.
However, these keto breakfast biscuits are made using cream cheese and almond flour. So their net carbs are much lower than regular biscuits. Therefore, you can enjoy biscuits with almond flour as a low carb breakfast alternative.
Keto Sausage Biscuits Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks for making keto sausage biscuits with almond flour as a low carb breakfast idea served without eggs:
- Use a high fat content milk to make the biscuits. For dairy free biscuits, you can use unsweetened almond milk.
- Do not overmix the keto breakfast biscuits with almond flour. Overmixing the biscuit dough will make them tough after you bake them.
- You can use any sausage for this easy breakfast idea. However, sausage with spices or sage will taste the best for low carb breakfast sausage biscuits.
- Shred your own cheese for these almond flour biscuits, rather than using pre-shredded cheese. This is important as pre-shredded cheese generally has a coating to prevent sticking. That coating most likely contains extra carbs you want to avoid.
Easy Substitutions and Variations
Here are several variations and substitutions you can make for this low carb breakfast recipe:
- Add a cooked egg or scrambled eggs in the biscuit for extra protein if desired. You can also serve eggs on the side for a healthy breakfast that keeps you fuller longer.
- If you prefer bacon, then you can make these low carb keto biscuits with almond flour with bacon instead of sausage as a delicious alternative. Likewise this variation can also be served with an egg.
Ingredients for Low Carb Biscuits with Almond Flour
Here are the ingredients you need to make low carb biscuits with almond flour:
- Softened cream cheese,
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Heavy cream
- Melted butter
How to Make Keto Sausage Biscuits
To make high protein keto sausage biscuits, you need to first prepare the low carb biscuits with almond flour. Then bake the biscuits while the sausage cooks.
How to Make Almond Flour Biscuits
Here is how to make almond flour biscuits for a low carb keto breakfast that’s high in protein:
- First preheat the oven to 350°F. While the oven preheats, you will mix the ingredients together to form the biscuit dough.
- Begin by mixing the cream cheese, eggs and cheddar cheese in a large mixing bowl. Use a silicone spatula to stir the ingredients together, until the cream cheese is smooth, and well combined with the other ingredients.
- Next, add the almond flour, baking powder, salt, heavy cream and melted butter to the cream cheese mixture. Stir well, until all ingredients are evenly combined throughout.
- Now place the almond flour biscuit dough in the refrigerator. Chill for about 10-15 minutes. This makes the dough easier to work with.
- Once the biscuit dough has chilled, sprinkle almond flour onto a silicone baking mat. Place the biscuit dough onto the mat. Then pat or roll out the dough so that is about 1/2″ thick.
- Now use a circle biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits into circles. (Alternately, you may also use a cookie cutter or mason jar canning ring for this task.)
- Next, place the biscuit dough onto a greased pan or silicone lined baking sheet.
- Then bake the biscuits for 15-18 minutes, or until they are a light golden brown.
Assemble the Biscuits and Sausage
- To make these keto sausage biscuits, divide the sausage into 8-10 patties. Then cook the sausage patties over medium heat in a frying pan or skillet until cooked through.
- To assemble your biscuits, slice the warm biscuits in half. The add a cooked sausage patty to each of the biscuits and enjoy.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 597mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
How to Store Leftover Low Carb Biscuits
These keto breakfast biscuits taste best when they are fresh and warm, so I make small batches at a time. If you do have any leftovers, put them on top of a paper towel in a container with a lid. They will store in the fridge for 2 or 3 days. Microwave them for 30 seconds to a minute before using them.
This post originally appeared on Becca Ink.
For more delicious breakfast recipes from Soap Deli News, follow me across your favorite social media platforms. You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Or subscribe to my newsletter.