Flank Steak Tacos Recipe with Avocado Crema for Weeknight Dinners
How to make a delicious flank steak tacos recipe with avocado crema, cilantro and a chili lime rub for quick and easy weeknight dinners for taco Tuesday. (It’s also a great way to use that overabundant supply of zucchini July through August when your garden is overflowing!)
Let’s Taco About Cooking
I’ll admit I’m not the best cook. I learned the basics (my mom taught me to bake, not cook) during my first marriage. I was going through an unfortunate bought of agoraphobia at the time. So I cooked meals from scratch, both from Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food Magazine and recipes from the internet. My biggest success was surprisingly making pierogies from scratch. It took an hour and half to make, and I needed help flattening out the pasta, but damn. It was totally worth it. (At least once anyway.)
I made all my mashed potatoes like pierogi guts after that. Flavored with sauteed onions, garlic, sour cream and cheddar cheese. However, that was the one and only time, I ever tried making pasta. I vowed, that until I owned a pasta machine, it was entirely too much manual labor. (Not to mention the total time suck.)
Since then I’ve experimented with cooking primarily through meal delivery kits, such as Hello Fresh. While it’s not a realistic service for my budget every week, it does make a nice treat from time to time. I get to cook a dinner I know I can’t screw up. And I’ve actually learned some things along the way. Cooking tips and tricks that I’ve since incorporated into meals I actually made without a recipe.
Of course, meat is expensive, especially steak. So I recently tried a meatless Monday for dinner. It did not going over so well with Greg. After a ten hour day of manual labor, it just didn’t fill him up despite the high iron and protein content in farro and quinoa.
While in Kroger one day, I happened upon some flank steak. For the price it was ridiculously cheap compared to a ribeye or a filet. So I picked up close to 2 lb. (two meals for two people) for around $17.
Up to that point, I hadn’t cooked flank steak in over a decade. It’s often not available or I’m not the one cooking. So any meat selection, aside of an organic grass fed sirloin, I leave to the chef (ie. someone other than myself.) I was readily impressed, however, both with the flavor and tenderness of the cuts of flank steak. So I’ve purchased it a few times since then.
This latest go round I decided to make tacos with something other than ground beef. I combined a number of taco recipes I’ve tried over the years, including ones with shrimp, for this flank steak tacos recipe. In the end, I was pretty impressed with how my “winging it” turned out. Therefore I thought I’d share my flank steak tacos recipe with you, my readers, so you can enjoy it on your next taco Tuesday dinner night.
Flank Steak Tacos Recipe with Avocado Crema
About 3/4 – 1 lb. flank steak
corn or flour tortillas
1 zucchini, chopped
1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
1 8 oz. package sliced baby bella mushrooms
salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil, as needed
Avocado Crema for Taco Topping
1 large avocado
1/3 Cup sour cream
1/3 Cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons lime juice
salt, to taste
Chili Lime Seasoning for Flank Steak Tacos
Directions for Making Flank Steak Tacos:
Begin by making the chili lime seasoning for this flank steak tacos recipe. To do this, measure out the spices and combine in a bowl with the the chopped garlic and lime juice.
Then rub the seasoning on both sides of the flank steak. Set aside.
Next prepare your vegetables. Heat a Tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute, mixing occasionally.
Once the mushrooms are halfway cooked, add the zucchini and onion. (You can also add additional olive oil at this time if needed.) Once tender, add salt and pepper to taste, then transfer the vegetables to a bowl and cover.
While the vegetables are cooking prepare the avocado crema. To do this, mash the avocado in with the sour cream, lime juice and chopped cilantro until creamy. Season with salt to taste, then set aside.
Once the veggies are done cooking, add the flank steak to a pan with olive oil over medium high heat. Cook for 3 minutes on each side for a rare steak. Longer for medium-rare to medium.
Greg actually prefers his steak more medium than rare. So after slicing the cooked flank steak against the grain, I threw the steak back into the pan for 2-3 more minutes to suit his taste.
While the steak rest prepare the taco shells. I used yellow corn taco shells for my flank steak tacos recipe.
To warm, heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat then add shells to the hot pan. Turn the shells frequently until warm and soft, and slightly charred in places.
Now simply assemble your flank steak tacos with the cooked steak, veggies and avocado crema. Add a squeeze of lime juice if desired. Then dig in!
- About 3/4 – 1 lb. flank steak
- corn or flour tortillas
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 8 oz. package sliced baby bella mushrooms
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 large avocado
- 1/3 Cup sour cream
- 1/3 Cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- Make the chili lime seasoning for this flank steak tacos recipe. Measure out the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Combine in a bowl with the chopped garlic and lime juice.
- Rub the seasoning on both sides of the flank steak. Set aside.
- Prep the vegetables. Heat a Tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute, mixing occasionally.
- Once the mushrooms are halfway cooked, add the zucchini and onion. Once tender, add salt and pepper to taste. Set vegetables aside.
- Prepare the avocado crema. Mash the avocado in with sour cream, lime juice and chopped cilantro until creamy. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Add the flank steak to a pan with olive oil over medium high heat. Cook for 3 minutes on each side for a rare steak. Longer for medium-rare to medium. Let rest then cut steak against the grain.
- Prepare the taco shells. To warm, heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat then add shells to the hot pan. Turn the shells frequently until warm and soft, and slightly charred in places.
- Assemble the flank steak tacos with the cooked steak, veggies and avocado crema. Add a squeeze of lime juice if desired.
I’d love to hear what you think of my flank steak tacos recipe! So if you make it, please share your reviews in the comments! In the meantime, you can add more weeknight dinner recipes to your recipe files, with my collection of delicious taco recipes below.
More Tacos Recipe Ideas for Taco Tuesdays
Want more taco recipes for your Taco Tuesdays? Try one of these other fantastic taco recipes.
- Pineapple Mango Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Korean Bulgogi BBQ Tacos
- Mahi Mango Fish Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Brussels Sprouts Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Orange Street Tacos
For even more taco recipes as well as other weeknight dinner recipes and ideas, follow my Food Recipes Pinterest Board.
Want more great DIY ideas from Soap Deli News? Then follow me across your favorite social media platforms. You can find and follow me on Blog Lovin‘, facebook, twitter and instagram. Or sign up to receive my semi-weekly newsletter to stay in the loop.