Learn how to make a lemon bundt cake with ginger icing. This cake is a delicious dessert for any occasion. Baked with fresh lemon squeezed lemon and citrus zest, this dense moist cake also boasts a ginger glaze for a sophisticated flavor that your family and guests will love. Even if you’ve never made a bundt cake, I have some tips to make this lemon bundt cake from scratch with perfect results.
Lemon Bundt Cake with Ginger Icing
I grew up with my mom baking. We’d often bake brownies and cookies together. However, bundt cakes were a dessert that were reserved for special occasions like birthdays and family gatherings. This cake is baked in a bundt pan, and is inspired by the shape of the traditional European Gugelhupf.
This bundt cake recipe is a flavorful version of a lemon pound cake with ginger drizzle. It combines the tangy and tart flavor of fresh lemon juice and zest with a warm crystalized ginger icing for a delicious, moist cake that everyone will love. You can enjoy this dessert recipe throughout the year for all your favorite occasions.
Keep reading to discover how to make this zingy lemon ginger bundt cake from scratch. Plus find answers to common questions and get tips for making your own amazing lemon pound cake in a bundt pan.
What is the Difference Between a Bundt Cake and a Pound Cake?
A bundt cake and a pound cake are similar and for the most part interchangeable. Pound cakes are usually made in a tube pan, and bundt cakes are made in a fluted pan. Not all pound cake recipes will fit in a fluted bundt pan, so be sure to watch how full you fill the pan.
Both pound cakes and bundt cakes are a denser cake than a regular cake. They take longer to cook and are baked at a lower temperature than a regular cake. The bundt pan lets more of the cake batter come in contact with the edge of the pan. This helps heat distribute evenly around the batter for even baking.
If you make this lemon ginger bundt cake recipe in a regular cake pan, the center will be undercooked while the edges are burnt. A bundt cake needs the hole in the center to allow air to flow to cook properly.
You can also try baking this lemon ginger cake in two loaf pans. You’ll need to lower the temperature by 25 degrees. You may still get some browning on the edges, so watch it carefully.
What is the Best Flour to Use for Pound Cake?
I recommend using cake flour to make this lemon bundt cake from scratch. Cake flour is lower in protein and gluten. It has a softer texture for dense desserts like a pound cake or bundt cake. You can also use all purpose flour to make this lemon ginger bundt cake recipe. Your cake will be more dense, but it will still taste good.
Do not use bread flour to make a lemon pound cake with ginger icing. Bread flour is higher in protein and gluten than cake flour or all purpose flour. It will give this lemon ginger pound cake recipe a dense and almost hard texture.
How Do You Get the Bottom of a Bundt Cake Flat?
Bundt cakes have a tendency to form a dome on the top, which will be the bottom when you unmold the lemon ginger bundt cake. To prevent this dome, spread the batter up the sides of the bundt pan so the edges are higher than the center. Then the center will rise and be almost flat.
Alternatively, you can also use a clean dish towel to gently press down on the domed center as you remove the ginger and lemon cake from the oven.
Finally, you can let the lemon ginger bundt cake cool and use a serrated knife to cut off the dome.
Do Pound Cakes Bake Faster in a Bundt Pan?
This lemon ginger pound cake recipe will cook faster in a bundt pan because the tube in the center lets air flow to cook it faster. However, bundt cakes still take a long time to bake because they are so dense.
How Long Should a Bundt Cake Cool Before Inverting?
Let your lemon bundt cake with ginger icing cool for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting.
How Do You Get a Cake Out of a Bundt Pan Without it Sticking?
To get a cake out of bundt pan without it sticking, spray the bundt pan just before you pour the ginger and lemon cake batter into the pan. This prevents the oil from rolling to the bottom of the pan so it stays on the sides to prevent sticking. Always use a pan that doesn’t have scratches because scratches inside can cause more sticking.
Let the lemon ginger bundt cake sit upside down for 10 minutes. This lets gravity work so the cake will pull away from the sides of the pan. If the cake is still sticking, use a knife or a small spatula between the cake and the pan to gently work the cake away from the pan.
How Do You Keep a Bundt Cake Moist?
Follow these tips to bake a moist lemon bundt cake from scratch:
- I used a glaze to keep this lemon bundt cake with ginger icing moist. It helps add more moisture and prevents moisture loss.
- Use cake flour because it’s lighter than all purpose flour.
- Cook a bundt cake low and slow. The batter is dense, so it needs longer to bake.
- Over mixing the batter can cause a dry cake. Mix just enough to get the flour mixed with the other ingredients.
Can I Make This Bundt Cake Recipe in a Regular Cake Pan?
No, you can not make this lemon ginger cake in a regular cake pan. It’s too dense with the eggs and the butter; the edges will burn while the center won’t be fully cooked.
However, you can bake this lemon pound cake with ginger drizzle in two loaf pans. Decrease the oven temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit.
Quick Tips for the Perfect Lemon Bundt Cake
Here are some tips for the perfect lemon bundt cake from scratch:
- Use a high quality bundt pan to make a ginger and lemon cake. A quality pan will distribute heat evenly. I’m partial to Nordic Ware pans.
- Only fill a bundt pan ⅔ full because the batter will rise.
- Grease the pan just before pouring the batter. This prevents the oil or butter from falling to the bottom.
- Mix the ingredients until just combined so the cake doesn’t get dense.
- Spoon the batter into the bundt pan. This lets you fill all the little nooks and crannies. When you’re done filling it, tap the pan on the counter gently a few times to release air bubbles.
- Let the lemon ginger bundt cake recipe rest for 10 to 20 minutes after baking. This lets the cake firm up so it won’t break when you flip it.
Ingredients to Make Lemon Ginger Bundt Cake
To make this lemon ginger bundt cake recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cake flour (all purpose flour will also work)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Lemon zest
- Fresh lemon juice
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
You will also need these ingredients to make the glaze for this lemon bundt cake with ginger icing:
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Crystallized ginger
How to Make a Lemon Ginger Bundt Cake
To make the lemon bundt cake from scratch, follow these steps:
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. While the oven preheats, whisk together the cake flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium sized bowl. Then set aside.
3. Next, combine the buttermilk, lemon zest, fresh lemon juice and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix well to combine, then set aside.
4. Now add the softened butter and sugar to a large bowl. Beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high using a hand mixer. Once mixed, add the eggs once at a time, mixing after adding each egg.
5. Reduce the mixer to low, then add ⅓ of the flour mixture and half of the buttermilk mixture. Mix until just combined then add 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining flour and buttermilk, mixing until just combined after each addition.
6. Now spray the bundt pan with cooking spray or grease the pan with shortening.
7. Slowly pour or spoon the ginger and lemon cake batter into the bundt pan. Then tap gently to remove air bubbles from the cake batter.
8. Bake the lemon cake for 55 to 65 minutes at 350 degrees. Once the cake is done, a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean.
9. Allow the lemon ginger cake to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Then flip the cake, while still in the pan, and allow to rest for 10 minutes on a wire cooling rack. Once cooled, carefully remove the cake from the pan.
How to Make Ginger Glaze
To make the ginger glaze, follow these steps:
1. To make the ginger drizzle for your lemon bundt cake, crush the crystalized ginger with a mortar and pestle or rolling pin to form a paste. (You can use more ginger than called or in the recipe, if you prefer a stronger, spicy flavor.)
2. Once the ginger is crushed, add the ginger along with the powdered sugar, lemon juice and buttermilk to a bowl. Then whisk until the icing is mixed well.
4. Finally, drizzle the ginger icing over the lemon ginger bundt cake. Allow the icing to harden prior to serving.
Tip: The ginger glaze for this bundt cake recipe is very thick. If you’d like a thinner icing you can drizzle onto the cake, you may add additional buttermilk to the icing. Simply add the additional buttermilk one Tablespoon at a time, mixing as you go, until the icing reaches the desired consistency.
You can add additional crystalized ginger to the icing for a bolder flavor, if desired. The ginger glaze for this bundt cake recipe is very thick. For a thinner icing, add additional buttermilk one Tablespoon to at a time, mixing in between each addition, until it reaches the consistency you want.
Bundt Cake Ingredients
Ginger Icing Ingredients
How to Make Lemon Bundt Cake
How to Make Ginger Icing
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 1gSugar: 48gProtein: 5g
You can add additional crystalized ginger to the icing for a bolder flavor, if desired.
The ginger glaze for this bundt cake recipe is very thick. For a thinner icing, add additional buttermilk one Tablespoon to at a time, mixing in between each addition, until it reaches the consistency you want.
More Dessert Recipes
If you like my recipe for ginger and lemon cake, then be sure to try these other delicious, baked dessert recipes:
- Vegan Zucchini Brownies
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake
- Braided Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie from Scratch
This lemon ginger bundt cake recipe originally appeared on Becca Ink.