Aloe Recipes for Summer Skin Care Plus Aloe Vera Benefits
Soothe sunburns and hydrate dry skin with these top aloe recipes for summer skin care. Start enjoying the benefits of aloe vera today with these skin care products with aloe vera that you can buy or DIY!
Aloe Summer Skin Care
Aloe is popular in skin care for many reasons. In summer, however, it is most often used for after sun care. While there are numerous aloe vera recipes for skin and hair out there, it’s not easy to share them all in a single post. Therefore, I chose to explore how to use aloe for summer skin care in this post. After all, sunburns are common place throughout the season — even when you remember to apply sunscreen!
Following we’ll explore the benefits of aloe for skin, what aloe is, and the ways to use it. Plus, discover my collection of amazing aloe skin care recipes for summer.
What is Aloe?
Aloe is a succulent that originated in the Arabian Peninsula. Now naturalized in subtropical climates across the globe, this cactus-like plant is often described as a “wonder plant” due to its many health and skin care benefits. The gel, known as aloe vera gel, can be consumed for its health benefits. Alternately, it may also be used to formulate skin care products that benefit skin in various ways. Historically, it’s been used for thousands of years to soften skin, relieve sunburns, improve problematic skin conditions and promote healing.
Ways to Use Aloe for Skin and Health
Aloe is used in numerous ways for both skin and health. Following are the most common ways to use aloe:
- To create aloe vera gel commonly used in skin care to relieve sunburns and associated redness and itching.
- In aloe recipes for skin to hydrate, moisturize and soften skin.
- As a key ingredient in aloe skin care recipes for after sun care to relieve sunburn pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- To relieve heartburn when taken internally at mealtime.
- As a protectant for garden plants and fruits to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Aloe vera extract is a safe and healthy alternative to traditional mouthwash. It offers relief from swollen or bleeding gums, while the naturally occurring vitamin C may help prevent plaque.
- Consuming 2 Tablespoons of aloe vera per day may help lower blood sugar.
- Not only does aloe aid in digestion, it also works as a natural laxative.
- This plant is able to provide some skin protection from skin damage after radiation therapy.
- Not only does aloe promote hair growth, but it also helps control greasy scalp and strengthen hair strands. This makes it a popular option for an aloe hair mask recipe.
Aloe Vera Skin Benefits
Aloe vera, a versatile plant hailed as a magical skin saver, has a long history of use in skin care products. It has the ability to promote healing, as well as soothe and moisturize dry skin. It’s also commonly used to help relieve dandruff and promote hair growth.
In Ayurvedic medicine aloe vera is also used help relieve problem skin issues such as eczema and psoriasis. As aloe vera has anti-inflammatory, astringent, antibacterial and antiseptic properties, it is also beneficial if you have acne prone skin. But that’s not all, aloe vera skin care products are also wonderful for sunburns and after sun care.
Here are some of the many ways that aloe vera benefits skin:
- Aloe can help cool and soothe sunburns or other minor burns.
- It hydrates and moisturizes skin, so it can aid in dry skin relief.
- Aloe vera helps to promote the healing of wounds and minor burns.
- It can help relieve pain associated with sunburns or damaged skin.
- Aloe may help to relieve skin inflammation and help clear up acne.
- It is used to help alleviate symptoms of eczema, psoriasis, dandruff and seborrhea.
- Making soap and other natural skin care products with aloe vera can help to soften skin.
How Does Aloe Help with Sunburns?
Aloe has traditionally been used as a medicinal plant to treat burns for thousands of years. Its natural cooling properties help sooth pain associated with sunburns. While its hydrating properties help to restore lost moisture caused by excess sun exposure. Specifically, aloe contains what are called mucopolysaccharides. These long chains of sugar molecules assist with moisture retention in skin. Further, there is also some clinical evidence that applying aloe vera gel to sunburns may speed up the time it takes for burns and other wounds to heal.
Forms of Aloe Vera Used to Make Skin Care Products
There are several different forms of aloe you can use to create summer skin care recipes. These products may be used to soothe sunburns or for after sun care. However, aloe vera may also be used for other types of skin care products as well as hair care formulations.
Following are the different types of aloe you can purchase when making aloe recipes for skin and hair:
Aloe Vera Gel for After Sun Care
Aloe vera gel is perhaps the most common form of aloe vera used to create summer skin care products. Made from the interior fillets of aloe leaves, this gel is produced from the pulverized plant matter. Once refined and filtered, a preservative is added to keep the gel from going bad. At home aloe vera gel is usually preserved using a combination of lemon juice and citric acid. However, refrigeration can also extend the shelf life and provide an additional cooling sensation when applied to sunburned skin.
Dried Aloe Leaf for Skin Care Recipes
Dried aloe leaf is made by dehydrating the leaves of the aloe vera plant. The leaves of this plant, similar to the soft interior flesh, also provides benefits for skin. In particular, aloe vera leaf is able to soften skin and promote healing. As the dried leaves aren’t able to be mixed into most skin care formulations, the best way to use this form of the medicinal plant is to infuse it in a carrier oil. You can learn how to make herbal infusions with aloe leaf here.
Aloe Vera Leaf Powder for DIY Beauty
Like to dried aloe leaf, aloe vera leaf powder is made from the dehydrated leaves of this succulent plant that are then ground into a fine powder. This powder can be used in both cosmetic and culinary recipes. However, in skin care, this form of aloe is most commonly used to make homemade soap and lotions.
Aloe Vera Juice for Sunburns
Aloe vera juice is extracted from fresh plant leaves much like aloe vera gel. However, in this instance, the juice is not filtered. Therefore, it is slightly cloudy in appearance and still contains small fragments of the leaf fillet and fibre. As a result, the juice has a full-bodied, tangy fresh aroma. Unlike aloe vera gel, the juice has a very thin, liquid consistency and is prone to spoiling more quickly if not properly stored once opened. As such, the juice should be refrigerated after opening and used more quickly than other shelf stable aloe vera products.
Aloe Vera Butter for Summer Skin Care
Aloe vera butter is made by incorporating real aloe in with a hydrogenated vegetable oil to create a rich and creamy body butter. Ideal for dry skin, this butter can be incorporated into other aloe skin care products for sunburns to boost the formulation. Or it can be used as is to moisturize dry skin and provide sunburn relief.
Aloe Vera Oil for DIY Skin Care
Aloe vera oil is a cold pressed carrier oil that differs from other forms of aloe. Pale to golden yellow in color, this oil has almost no natural fragrance and is extracted from the flowers of the aloe plant. It’s then infused in organic sweet almond oil. This form of the plant is more shelf stable than other versions and will last up to one year. It has many similar benefits to the other types of aloe and absorbs easily into skin. In addition, it makes a great addition to many aloe skin care recipes, including this natural deodorant recipe made with aloe oil.
Where Do I Buy Real Aloe Vera Gel?
Not all aloe vera gel is created equal. In fact, many commercial aloe products contain little to no actual aloe. In fact, in recent years, there was Bloomberg News investigation that revealed that some of the aloe vera gels sold at Walmart, Target, and CVS contained no actual aloe vera. Instead, lab tests showed they were instead formulated using a cheaper substitute called maltodextrin. Therefore, I make sure I buy real aloe vera from a company I know I can trust for quality and purity. That company is Mountain Rose Herbs.
The aloe vera gel from Mountain Rose Herbs is formulated using the inner fillet of aloe vera plants. This plant matter is pulverized and then further filtered to produce a clear and consistent aloe gel with a well-rounded, fresh odor. Created by hand removing the inner fillet of whole leaves, this brand of aloe contains 99.8% aloe. In fact, the ingredient list is quite simple. It consists of five ingredients. Primarily containing aloe vera fillet, potassium sorbate, ascorbic acid, and citric acid are used to preserve this aloe vera skin care product. While xanthan gum is used as a natural thickener.
The result is an incredibly stable aloe gel with a thin, pourable consistency. With the final product being highly beneficial for dietary, cosmetic, and household use.
In addition to their aloe vera gel, you can also purchase dried aloe vera leaf for oil infusions. As well as aloe vera leaf powder to incorporate into homemade soap recipes and other skin care products you make using aloe vera, whether it’s to soothe sunburns or moisturize dry, parched skin.
Aloe Vera Skin Care Recipes for After Sun Care
There’s generally no way around it. With summer here, sunburns are inevitable. Fortunately, aloe vera is nature’s remedy for those unexpected events. Soothe your burns and hydrate skin with one of these top aloe skin care recipes for summer.
Aloe Soap Recipe for After Sun Care
Made using aloe vera gel in place of water, this cold process aloe vera soap recipe helps to soothe sunburns and hydrate skin. In addition, it also contains neem oil to promote healthy skin for the ultimate skin care product for after sun care.
DIY Jojoba & Aloe Soap
This homemade jojoba & aloe soap recipe is made with real, skin soothing aloe vera gel for the perfect addition to your natural skin care routine. Naturally handcrafted using ingredients praised for their benefits in both skin and hair care, this cold process soap recipe makes a wonderful multi-purpose soap for your entire body — head to toe — to soothe irritate or sunburned skin when bathing.
Aloe Vera Soap Balls
These DIY aloe vera soap balls are scented with essential oils and include skin soothing aloe vera gel, rosewater & evening primrose oil for dry skin relief. An easy hand-milled soap recipe, these homemade soaps are made using a rebatch soap base so you don’t have to work with lye. This makes them an easy solution to your after sun care routine!
Aloe Bath Melts for Sunburn Relief
Learn how to make these DIY bath melts to enjoy all the skin care benefits aloe provides. Formulated with skin soothing aloe and moisturizing cocoa butter, these delightful aloe vera bath melts also contain Epsom salt to help you relax and unwind while also providing skin soothing relief from sunburns.
DIY Shaving Cream with Aloe
While most of us don’t want to shave while we have a painful sunburn, we sometimes push through the pain for the sake of beauty. While I don’t recommend shaving if skin is painful to the touch, this aloe shaving cream recipe is ideal for after sun care once healing has begun. This moisturizing, homemade shaving cream recipe contains skin soothing aloe vera gel to help hydrate skin and reduce your chance of razor burn.
After Sun Lotion Bar with Aloe
This aloe after sun care lotion bar makes a wonderful body moisturizer for sunburned skin. Like regular lotion, but in a solid form, this vegan friendly hard lotion contains aloe vera butter and calendula infused oil to promote healing.
Aloe After Sun Cream
This after sun cream recipe is made from natural skin nourishing oils, shea butter, essential oils and aloe vera gel. It’s perfect for replenishing those stubborn spots of dry skin or for soothing sunburns and to promote healing after excess sun exposure. This best body moisturizer recipe is made with Mountain Rose Herbs Restorative Skin Oil which is also lovely all on its own.
Aloe Body Butter Recipe
If you need an all over body moisturizer with aloe for after sun care, this DIY aloe body butter is another great way to incorporate aloe into your skin care routine. Perfect for all over body care, this recipe from Everything Pretty hydrates and soothes sunburns. Plus, it’s also perfect for dry skin and eczema relief.
DIY Aloe Face Mask
Unfortunately, even the best SPF in our day cream can still result in sunburns on delicate facial skin. This easy aloe vera face mask recipe makes a lovely addition to your summer beauty routine when you need quality, after sun care. Not only does this DIY from A Life Adjacent deeply moisturize skin, but it also helps sooth sunburn, irritation, and redness.
Hydrating Aloe Face Cream
Crafted with skin soothing aloe and jojoba oil, this DIY aloe face cream from Life-n-Reflection is a wonderful way to moisturize thirsty skin and soothe painful or itchy, skin irritation caused by sun exposure.
Skin Care Products with Aloe Vera for Sunburns
If you’re aren’t quite ready to make your own aloe vera skin care recipes for sunburns, that’s okay! I’ve rounded up some amazing aloe skin care products that you buy. Following are my favorite choices for skin care products with aloe vera for after sun care.
- After Sun Facial Mask: This aloe face mask is formulated with a soothing blend of honey, aloe and sea buckthorn to help nourish that freshly sun-kissed skin! The beneficial properties of raw honey along with aloe, sea buckthorn and helichrysum provide a natural way to purify, soothe and fight free radicals, leaving the skin with a glowing complexion.
- Aloe After Sun Balm: After a full day in the sun, your skin will thank you when you apply this whipped after sun balm made with aloe butter! Vitamin E, cocoa and shea Butters are also added for extra hydration to moisturize and help soothe the pain of sunburned skin
- Sunburn Relief Aloe Lotion: This whipped sunburn relief body lotion is heaven in a jar after being in the sun all day! Made with fluffy whipped coconut oil, aloe vera and essential oils, this skin care product with aloe vera helps with burns and skin elasticity.
- Cocoa Butter & Aloe Lotion: Made with cocoa butter and aloe vera oil, this lightweight summer lotion provides skin protection while also promoting healing. It’s an easy way to care for skin after sun exposure and beyond.
- Whipped Aloe Sunburn Butter: This creamy skin care body butter with aloe vera is perfect when you’ve over done your fun in the sun. Simply massage this after sun moisturizer into skin to rehydrate it after a day in the elements. Made using both aloe butter in conjunction with aloe vera gel makes this aloe skin care product so soothing on skin. While the cocoa and shea butters create a moisture locking skin barrier.
- Aloe After Sun Spray: This after sun spray has everything your skin needs to help soothe and heal sunburnt skin. Crafted with witch hazel to reduce inflammation, this skin care product also contains aloe vera to help promote skin elasticity, moisturize skin and calm inflammation. While a natural blend of essential oils help to ease burns and provide a cooling sensation.
- After Sun Cooling Mist: This after sun skin care product with aloe combines a blend of pure essential oils with witch hazel and aloe vera to help repair damage and soothe skin after being in the sun. The specially formulated essential oil blend creates the perfect aroma while calming and hydrating skin damaged from the sun. Not only does it help relieve sunburn pain, but it also nourishes the skin, decreasing the chance of peeling.
Safety and Precautions When Using Aloe Recipes for Skin Care
While most people can safely aloe vera recipes as part of their summer skin care routine, there are some precautions to keep in mind. Aloe should not be used on severe burns or sunburns or deep cuts. In addition, if you have an allergy to aloe, then it is not recommended that you use skin care products with aloe vera. Those with allergies to garlic, onions or tulips are more likely to be allergic to aloe. Therefore, you should always conduct a small patch test on skin before incorporating this ingredient into the products you make.
I hope you enjoy these aloe skin care recipes for your summer beauty regimen. As well as the roundup of skin care products with aloe vera. For more ways to use aloe vera along with other amazing after sun care recipes, be sure to follow Soap Deli News on your favorite social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Alternately, you may also subscribe to Soap Deli News for future updates, DIY projects and recipes.