Shine Spray Recipe for Frizzy, Dry or Damaged Hair with Argan Oil
Do your locks look dull and lifeless? Humidity causing frizz? Give your hair a boost with this easy two-ingredient shine spray recipe for dry, damaged or frizzy hair care! This DIY Argan oil shine spray for hair adds shine and nourishes hair without weighing it down. It’s perfect for dry or frizzy locks!
Argan Oil Shine Spray
Let’s face it. Even with the perfect hair care routine, outside elements and even nutrition can leave our hair looking lack luster. If you have dull, dry or damage hair, a DIY shine spray is an easy way to revive your locks. It only takes a small amount of this hair care product to get shiny, luscious, beautiful looking hair.
The key ingredient in this shine spray recipe is Argan oil. Argan oil is a luxurious oil obtained from the fruit kernels of the Moroccan Argan tree. It’s naturally rich in tocopherols (vitamin E) and phenols, carotenes, squalene, and fatty acids. Because of this, its is commonly used in skin, nail, and hair treatments to deliver deep hydration as well as to strengthen brittle hair and nails.
By combining this carrier oil for hair with cyclomethicone, you get beautiful shine without weighing hair down or looking greasy. If desired, you can also add essential oils for hair to this recipe.
Hair Benefits of Argan Oil
Argan oil has a number of amazing benefits when used in hair care products and applications. It’s why it’s a common ingredient in both styling products as well as DIY hair masks. In fact, argan oil is one of the most popular carrier oils for hair care. It’s high in fatty acids and is very moisturizing for dry hair. However, it’s not too oily that it can’t also be used on normal to oily hair. Argan oil is good to use in a deep conditioner, hair serum, shampoo, or conditioner.
Here are some of the hair care benefits that Argan oil provides:
- This carrier oil for hair health moisturizes hair and scalp. So strands are hydrated, not brittle or frizzy.
- As Argan moisturize hair, it helps to tame and control frizz.
- The fatty acids found in this carrier oil help prevent hair damage from color and styling.
- Rich with antioxidants, this oil may offer some protection for hair against sun damage from UV rays. It can also prevent hair from drying out.
- The combination of antioxidants and fatty acids present in Argan oil can help reduce hair breakage and shedding. This in turn can help grow hair faster much like a hair growth mask or hair growth supplements.
Essential Oils for Hair Care
Essential oils, like carrier oils, also offer a number of benefits for hair. As essential oils are highly concentrated, they should be diluted in a carrier oil prior to use. These oils may be used to add additional properties to this Argan oil shine spray recipe as well to incorporate a custom fragrance into the formulation.
Here are the best essential oils for hair to condition and nourish your locks as well as to get hair to grow faster:
- Clary Sage: Clary sage essential oil can make hair stronger and promote hair growth. (Learn ways to use clary sage for hair here.)
- Peppermint: Peppermint essential oil can stimulate the scalp and hair follicles. It also boosts blood circulation, which brings oxygen and nutrients to the area. Peppermint is cooling, so use it in small amounts well diluted.
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil is said to promote skin cell generation to make hair grow faster. It’s also antimicrobial to improve scalp health.
- Tea Tree: Tea tree oil is also antimicrobial. When used topically, it can improve scalp health and reduce bacteria and other microbes that can block the hair follicles.
- Ylang Ylang: Ylang ylang essential oil can help balance oil production on your scalp. It’s good for dry scalp because it helps stimulate oil production.
- Rosemary: Rosemary essential oil is said to boost cellular generation to promote new hair growth. It helps dilate blood vessels on the scalp so the scalp can get oxygen and nutrients to grow hair.
- Lemongrass: Lemongrass essential oil can make hair follicles stronger and reduce dandruff. It’s also an astringent that can help keep your hair clean.
- Thyme: Thyme essential oil can stimulate the scalp to prevent hair loss. Thyme is a strong oil, so it should be used in a low concentration in a carrier oil.
- Cedarwood: Cedarwood essential oil can help balance oil production on your scalp. It is antimicrobial, so it can help reduce dandruff.
- Bergamot: Bergamot essential oil can naturally kill microbes on your scalp to promote scalp health.
When making a DIY shine spray with essential oils for hair, I recommend that you use those best suited for your hair type. Alternately, you can also add these oils to your homemade shampoo and conditioner. Or use them to make an easy DIY detangling spray.
Argan Oil Shine Spray Recipe for Hair
© Rebecca D. Dillon
Your hair care routine doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. In fact, you can easily make your own shine spray with Argan oil at home! To enjoy the benefits of Argan oil for hair, simply follow the simple recipe below to create your own luxurious shine spray for hair care.
Don’t want to use Argan oil? You can substitute the Argan oil for another carrier oil suited for your hair type. Discover the best carrier oils for hair growth, along with those best suited for your hair type here.
DIY Shine Spray Ingredients:
These are the ingredients necessary to make this easy shine spray for gorgeous hair:
- 1 oz. Argan oil: A luxurious and intensely hydrating carrier oil, Argan works well for all hair types to condition and nourish hair and promote shine.
- 1 oz. Cyclomethicone: This synthetic silicone is commonly used in shine spray recipes as it smooths hair to eliminate frizz. It also adds a weightless shine so hair doesn’t look greasy or feel weighed down.
- .1 oz./2.8 grams fragrance oil (or 12-24 drops essential oil), optional: While not necessary, you can scent this hair care product with a fragrance of your choice. You can either use a fragrance oil to create a two-in-one shine spray and hair perfume. Or use essential oils for hair based on your hair type to help address your hair care concerns.
How to Make Shine Spray
Here is how to make a DIY shine spray:
- Using a digital scale weigh out the Argan oil and Cyclomethicone.
- Combine the ingredient in a 2 oz. glass bottle using a funnel. If a scent is desired, you would also weigh out and add a skin safe fragrance oil or essential oil to the bottle.
- Close the bottle with a fingertip mister, then shake well to combine.
How to Use Argan Oil Shine Spray
To use this Argan shine spray simply spritz a small amount on hair for softness and shine as well as to reduce frizz. Alternately you can spritz a small amount into the palm of your hand and apply to hair ends to help keep ends healthy and prevent breakage.
In addition, this Argan oil shine spray recipe also makes a great dry oil body spray for silky smooth skin. Therefore, if your skin looks dry or tight, you can use this shine spray as a sprayable body lotion to moisturize and rehydrate skin. It’s an excellent solution if your skin looks ashy, too!
If you like this shine spray recipe then you’ll also want to check out my custom scented dry oil body spray recipe made with jojoba, hemp seed and fractionated coconut oil. Made in a similar fashion to this DIY shine spray, this recipe can be used on your hair to control frizz and add shine in addition to your body for overall skin care.
Hair Care Recipes
If you like my shine spray recipe, then be sure to try these other amazing recipes for hair care to keep hair looking shiny and healthy:
- Herbal Hair Conditioner: Learn how to make an herbal hair conditioner recipe to speed hair growth, improve manageability, boost shine and soften hair. Created with a blend of natural botanicals known for their hair care benefits, this herbal conditioning hair treatment brings dry or dull hair back to life in just 30-minutes.
- Clary Sage Hair Care Recipes: Discover the benefits of clary sage essential oil as well as how to make three easy clary sage recipes for hair care. Plus explore making hair care products with my collection of other natural hair care recipes for homemade hair masks, hot oil treatments, homemade shampoo and conditioners, a hair lightening spray, hair detangler and more.
- Moisturizing Hair Mask Recipe: Learn how to make a natural moisturizing hair mask recipe for hair care. Formulated with hydrating cocoa butter, a blend of mint essential oils and sea buckthorn oil, this homemade hair mask is the perfect remedy for dry, dull hair. Indulge your hair care routine with this easy moisturizing mask recipe for healthy looking, smooth, shiny hair!
- DIY Hair Detangler: This simple detangling spray recipe for hair is naturally scented, is easy to make and requires just four basic ingredients.
- Natural Remedy for Thinning Hair: This simple home remedy for thinning hair naturally builds volume and thickens hair while also increasing strength, texture and shine – even if you can’t regrow the hair you’ve lost! It also helps with itchy scalp and dandruff.
- Hair Mask Recipe for Hair Growth: Learn how to condition, hydrate and encourage hair growth this with natural hair mask recipe for hair growth. Say goodbye to split ends and damaged hair, while also encouraging hair growth with this homemade hair mask recipe with castor oil.
- Leave in Hair Conditioner + Shine Spray: Love your locks with these coffee infused leave in hair conditioner & shine spray recipes! They make a wonderful addition to your daily beauty routine for natural hair care and are perfect for dry or damaged hair.
- How to Use Hydrosols for Hair: Hydrosols are a wonderful way to add the benefits of plants to your natural skin care and beauty routine. Learn how to use hydrosols for skin, face and hair and explore my collection of unique hydrosol recipes to craft plant based toners, lotions and soaps.
- DIY Hair Lightener Spray: Discover different ways for to naturally lighten your hair with everyday ingredients, such as honey, chamomile, lemon juice, and salt. You will also learn how to create a DIY hair lightener spray, that sets soft highlights and gives your mane a healthy, sun-kissed glow.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse: Learn how to make a natural apple cider vinegar hair rinse recipe for shiny hair that looks and feels healthy. Plus a bonus herbal ingredient that help deter graying hair.
- DIY Hair Masks: Nourish your hair with these easy hair care recipes for DIY hair masks. Created for every hair type, these easy hair mask recipes can be made at home using simple ingredients from your kitchen.
- How to Make Homemade Shampoo + Conditioner: Learn about the different types of homemade shampoos, why they do or don’t work, plus how to create your own custom essential oil blends for your homemade shampoo and conditioner that fit your ever changing hair care needs.
For more homemade hair care and beauty recipes like my shine spray recipe, be sure to follow my boards on Pinterest. You can also keep up with all of my new posts by following on Blog Lovin’ as well as on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.