Is there a dog lover in your life? If you or someone you know has a doxie, then this DIY dachshund melt and pour soap will make the perfect homemade gift for your friends with fur babies!
This darling dachshund melt and pour soap recipe is perfect for dachshund lovers who must have everything dachshund! You know who you are. (wink.) I’m one of those people too.
This is my dachshund, Jasper. He’s currently very displeased I’ve put him on a diet – ie. no more cheese on his food – but alas he’s seven now and a bit pudgy. He does act as though I’m starving him however, as he looks at his dog dish, then back again at me wondering what’s going on. While there is food in his dish, he seems to have a certain disdain towards the lack of extras dusting the top and pretends his dish is indeed quite empty. But enough about Jasper.
DIY Dachshund Soap
This easy dachshund melt and pour soap recipe does make a fantastic gift for any dog lover, but most especially us dachshund lovers. I’ve scented it with a combination fragrance blend of chocolate fragrance oil and lavender essential oil, and used a brown sparkle soap color bar to give the dachshund soap embed in the center a bit more visual interest.
Chocolate & Lavender Dachshund Melt and Pour Soap Recipe
© Rebecca D. Dillon
This dachshund melt and pour soap recipe will yield six soap bars. It is important to note I used a basic, rather than a natural soap base, as the natural soap base tended to cool too quickly for neatly made soaps. However, you can experiment with other bases if you’d like and it’s quite likely you may have more patience and a steadier hand than me.
3 oz. Crafter’s Choice (or similar) clear basic melt and pour soap base
21 oz. Crafter’s Choice (or similar) white basic melt and pour soap base
.05 oz. Crafter’s Choice (or similar) chocolate fragrance oil
.2 oz. lavender essential oil
Crafter’s Choice (or similar) brown sparkle color bar, 1/8th of one square
Crafter’s Choice (or similar) neon purple playdate soap color bar, 1 square
Tools & Supplies:
Dachshund Shaped Ice Cube Tray
Ozera 6-Cavity Silicone Soap Mold
spray bottle with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
large glass Pyrex measuring cup
utensils for stirring
How to Make Dachshund Shaped Glycerin Soap
To make your dachshund soaps, follow these steps:
1. Begin by making the dachshund embeds for this dachshund melt and pour soap recipe. To do this, use a digital scale to weigh out 3 oz. of clear melt and pour soap base.
2. Using a Chef’s knife, cut it into chunks and place inside a Pyrex measuring cup. Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave.
3. Remove the soap from the microwave using towel to grasp the handle of the measuring cup in case it’s hot, stir and add 1/8th chunk of the brown sparkle color bar.
4. Heat an additional 20-30 seconds until the soap is melted completely, watching to make sure it does not boil, then remove from the microwave and stir again until all of the color has dissolved and is evenly distributed.
5. Allow the soap to cool slightly, then weigh out the chocolate fragrance oil. Add the fragrance oil to the melted soap base and stir well.
6. Next, place your dachshund silicone mold onto a cutting board. Then pour the brown sparkle colored soap evenly into six of the dachshund shaped mold cavities.
7. Spritz the tops of the dachshund soaps with alcohol to remove any air bubbles, then place the mold into the refrigerator using the cutting board for transport to prevent spills.
8. Once your dachshund soaps have hardened and cooled completely, remove from mold from the refrigerator. Now gently remove the dachshund shaped soaps from the mold.
9. Place the 6-cavity rectangular mold onto the cutting board or small cookie sheet. Then proceed by placing one dachshund soap into each of the six cavities of this mold.
10. Now weigh out 21 oz. of the white melt and pour soap base. Cut into cubes and combine in a large glass Pyrex measuring cup.
11. Melt the soap in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each heating, until almost completely melted.
12. Add one square of the purple soap color and continue the process until the soap and color have melted completely. Stir well so the color is evenly incorporated throughout the soap base.
13. Allow the white soap base to cool a bit. (Pouring this soap too hot can cause some of the color from the dachshund embeds to escape into the surrounding purple tinted soap.)
14. Once the soap base has cooled a bit, weigh out and stir in the lavender essential oil.
15. Spritz the tops of the dachshund soap embeds with alcohol.
16. Now slowly and carefully pour this soap base into the 6-cavity rectangular soap mold over and around the dachshund soap embeds.
TIP: To help keep any soap from pooling under the dachshund embeds, I pushed my DIY dachshund soap embeds into the mold cavities as I poured the soap until it was just under the height of the dachshunds. Then I went back and filled the mold cavities the rest of the way with the purple tinted soap.
17. Finally, spritz the tops of the soaps you just poured with alcohol to remove any air bubbles then place in the refrigerator.
18. Once your dachshund melt and pour soap bars have solidified and cooled completely, remove them from the refrigerator. Then carefully remove each bar from the 6-cavity rectangular mold.
Package the Soap
For more DIY Valentine’s Day gift ideas also be sure to check out my Valentine’s Day heart jelly soap recipe – that jiggles like Jell-O! – along with 18 more DIY Valentine’s Day gift ideas here. Or discover even more DIY Valentine’s Day gift ideas by following my DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts board on Pinterest. You can also find and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.