Creative Self Care Ideas To Kickstart Your Spring
Spring is a season of renewal. A fresh start. What better way to usher in spring than with self care? This collection of creative self care ideas are the perfect way to get your mindset where it needs to be. (And to finally tackle those New Years goals you may have fallen behind on!)
By now you’re probably familiar with the term, self care. And maybe, like many of us who have busy lives, you’ve probably pushed yourself too hard to get things done, take care of your family and bring home a paycheck. Pushing self care off to the side once again. However, as we find ourselves emerging from those winter blues that left us unengaged, overwhelmed and completely exhausted, spring provides the perfect opportunity to turn things around by practicing a number of self care ideas.
Keep reading for creative self care ideas to kickstart your spring! Plus learn how to make a decorative DIY spring mason jar to decorate your own or use for spring inspired gifts or wedding favors.
Creative Self Care Ideas for Spring
1. Visit the craft store. (This is probably one of my most favorite self care ideas of all time.) The bright colors and fun new project ideas – not to mention the walk! – are a sure fire way to bring a smile to your face. (Just avoid the floral aisle if you have allergies like I do!) I made this super cute, decorative DIY spring mason jar after a recent visit to A.C. Moore. (Keep reading to learn how to make your own!)
2. Organize your makeup – and throw out the old! Not only does the task of getting rid of old makeup save your skin from potential bacteria that can cause breakouts or worse, the act itself is grounding and therefore therapeutic. Plus it gives you the opportunity to shop for those perfect eyeshadow palettes for the new season.
Upcycle your old makeup for use in art projects, then get creative with a new look for spring. Or learn how to make your own scented unicorn eyeshadow palette!
3. Subscribe to a beauty box for a fun (and useful!) surprise every month. When all you get in the mail is bills, it can make checking your mailbox rather dreary. Treat yourself instead with your favorite beauty and skin care brands by subscribing to a monthly beauty box! For smaller budgets I love my Allure and ipsy beauty box subscriptions! However, when I have the extra money, I am all about the green friendly Love Goodly beauty box that comes every other month!
I love that sometimes I get beauty products that inspire me to be adventurous. Sometimes it’s fun to pretend we’re eight years old again, playing with mommy’s makeup box.
4. Learn a new craft! Stop playing Candy Crush Friends and get away from the television! Learning a new hobby is not only a better use of your time, it also gives you a feeling of accomplishment. Plus you can get some great new ideas for handmade gifts throughout in the year.
I love CreativeBug for learning new crafts. You can learn how to make a macrame plant hanger for spring, learn how to sew your own lingerie, learn how to draw & paint with ink or get started with meditative art journaling! Also be sure to check out Pop Shop America’s Craft In Style subscriptions boxes for monthly all-in-one craft kits. Or browse my fun collection of DIY craft kits for adults.
5. Make a homemade face mask. Not only will this improve the look and feel of your skin, but it’s a luxurious way to take a ten minute time out and do absolutely nothing at all. Choose from one of my many homemade face mask recipes. Or pick your favorite go to!
6. Read a book or magazine. Reading is one of the things that’s hardest for me to take time for. However, it’s something I really do enjoy. So take that hour and spend it reading that book you’ve had sitting on your shelf forever. Read a magazine or brush up on your favorite blogs.
Tip: Take all your favorite books with you on the go to indulge in waiting rooms or at the park with a kindle paperwhite! While paper is my passion, kindle saves my hands from cramping due to fibro. It’s a great accessory for arthritis sufferers too! The new kindle paperwhite is thinner, lighter AND waterproof – so it’s perfect poolside throughout summer.
7. Start planning your garden. Here in Southwestern Virginia we remain under a frost risk well into April. If you’re further north, that means you also have a wait before you can actually plant your veggies in the ground. That doesn’t mean you can’t plan your garden now! Decide which veggies or flowers you want to grow and draw up a mock garden bed. You can even start your seeds indoors to get a head start! Buy a garden planner to get started. Or shop for your favorite gardening supplies!
8. Dance your heart out. It doesn’t matter if you do it in your living room while watching YouTube, in the kitchen while you’re cooking or in a club to your favorite live band. Just dance! Not only will it help you sneak in a bit of cardio time, it’ll also boost those happy endorphins that will further energize you and bring a smile to your face!
Now that you’ve read my favorite creative self care ideas, I’d love to hear some of yours. So be sure to share your favorite self care ideas in the comments. Also be sure to check out my super easy tutorial below for crafting your own mini decorative spring mason jar! It’s just another fun self care idea to try to kickstart your spring!
Mini Decorative DIY Spring Mason Jar
This mini decorative DIY spring mason jar is so simple to make. In 10-minutes or less you can create a decorative mini mason jar that’s perfect for decorating your small spaces. You can also use these cute little mason jars for storage to stash trinkets like jewelry and rings. Or utilize them as pretty canisters for your homemade bath salts or Easter treats this spring. While I used mini hinged jars for this DIY home decor project, you can recreate this DIY idea on storage or mason jars of any size!
Ready to get started?
First choose your jar. Then choose a small feathered bird to fit the size of the mason jar you’ve chosen. Now pick a collection of paper flowers or 3D stickers that work well with the colors you’ve chosen elsewhere. I used Little Birdie flowers and Little Birdie mini succulents. You’ll also need a strong glue that adheres to the surface of your jar. I used E6000 – my typical go to for bonding everything to everything else.
For the next step, you’ll begin by gluing the flowers onto the lid of your storage or mason jar. (I also glued a mini succulent to the inner bottom of my jar.)
Continue working by gluing more flowers in layers onto the lid of your jar. You’ll want to leave a small space in the center for your bird to nest.
Finally, glue the bird onto the lid of the jar. Once you’re sure the bird is firmly glued down, set the jar aside to allow the glue to dry and cure. (E6000 requires 48-72 hours to cure.)
Once the glue on your mason jar has cured, your decorative spring mason jar is ready to use!
For more self care ideas you can practice throughout the year, be sure to visit Soap Deli News here. Also follow my boards on Pinterest for more great spring craft ideas and wellness tips.
For more great DIY ideas from Soap Deli News, sign up for my semi-weekly newsletter. You can also follow me on facebook, twitter, pinterestand instagram.
March 2, 2019 at 10:50 pm
I love these tips, Rebecca. The little jar looks so adorable, it would be perfect to gift Easter treats.
Comments are closed.