Low Carb Cauliflower Fritters (Pancakes) with Cheese and Almond Flour
Learn how to make cauliflower pancakes, also known as cauliflower fritters. These low carb cauliflower fritters with cheese make an excellent savory breakfast or snack. They can also replace bread in a sandwich or be served as a side dish for a light lunch or dinner.
Low Carb Cauliflower Fritters
I’m always trying to add more vegetables to my diet. These low carb cauliflower fritters are a delicious way to eat more veggies and make a low carb substitute for bread or crackers. They are delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner, so they are a versatile recipe to have in your recipe box.
I use cauliflower to make cauliflower pancakes, but you can also use broccoli or a combination of the two. It’s a great way to use up leftover vegetables. I make them for myself as a savory breakfast option or as a healthy low carb snack when I’m entertaining guests.
These vegetable fritters with almond flour make a great addition to a keto diet for a savory meal idea. Learn how to make my healthy cauliflower fritters recipe plus get tips for cooking vegetable fritters with cauliflower, discover cauliflower health benefits, learn how to reheat vegetable fritters and find out what to serve with low carb cauliflower fritters for healthy dinner ideas.
Health Benefits of Cauliflower Fritters
These healthy cauliflower pancakes have several health benefits for you due to the high cauliflower content. Cauliflower is low in calories, but it’s packed with vitamins. Cauliflower has only 25 calories per cup, but it has 3 grams of fiber.
Cauliflower also has the following vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B6
- Pantothenic acid
Cauliflower is also high in antioxidants to protect your body from free radicals and can even reduce inflammation in the body. Specifically, cauliflower is high in isothiocyanates, glucosinolates, flavonoids and carotenoids.
When you learn how to make cauliflower pancakes, you’ll be enjoying a low carb food that can replace grains or legumes. There are 5 grams of carbs in a cup of cauliflower, but a cup of cie has 45 grams of carbs. White flour has 95 grams of carbs per servings, so these healthy cauliflower pancakes have quite a bit fewer carbs per serving. If you’re limiting carbs, these low carb cauliflower fritters can make a great substitute for grains or legumes.
Tips For Cooking Vegetable Fritters With Cauliflower
These low carb cauliflower fritters are easier to make than other vegetable fritters because cauliflower is low in water. If you use a vegetable with a higher water content, like zucchini, you’d have to dry the squash before making cauliflower fritters with cheese.
Here are some more tips to making perfect low carb cauliflower fritters:
- Unlike a traditional pancake, you do not want a lot of batter. The cauliflower should not ooze out batter that spreads in the pan. Your low carb cauliflower fritters should be formed and hold their shape.
- However, you will cook your healthy cauliflower pancakes similar to a regular pancake in that you need to cook it for a longer time on a lower heat. Do not cook on high because the outside will be browned before the inside cooks.
- Be patient and allow the cauliflower fritters with cheese to cook completely on each side before you flip them.
- Use only enough oil to cover the bottom of your pan or you risk having oily cauliflower fritters with cheese. Add more oil to the pan as needed.
- These healthy cauliflower pancakes can be used in place of bread in a sandwich.
- Replace the cauliflower in your keto cauliflower fritters recipe with broccoli if desired.
- Cook large cauliflower fritters to make a low carb flat bread for a salad or sandwich.
- You can substitute the mozzarella cheese in this recipe to make cauliflower cheddar fritters.
How Do You Reheat Vegetable Fritters?
If you microwave leftovers from this cauliflower fritters recipe, then they can get soggy. Instead, I recommend reheating them in oil on the stove or baking them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 to 10 minutes. You can also cook them in an air fryer at the same temperature and time.
What Goes With Veggie Fritters?
This low carb cauliflower fritters recipe is a delicious side dish for any of the following main dishes:
- Baked or grilled fish
- Marinated chicken
- Shrimp pasta
- Pasta salad
- Steak tips
You can eat healthy cauliflower pancakes alone or with a sauce. I like a dollop of sour cream and some sliced green onions or chives when I eat them for lunch or dinner. For breakfast, I like to dip them in applesauce.
Ways to Enjoy Low Carb Cauliflower Pancakes
I eat these keto cauliflower fritters as a savory breakfast or as a side dish. They also make a great low carb substitute for bread in a sandwich. If you learn how to make cauliflower pancakes, you can make a large one to use as a flatbread to make an open faced sandwich or eat with a salad.
Savory Cauliflower Fritters Ingredients
To make low carb cauliflower fritters, you will need the following ingredients:
- Smoked paprika powder
- Mozzarella cheese
- Almond flour
- Sea salt, fine ground
- Ground peppercorn powder
How to Make Cauliflower Pancakes
Here’s how to make low carb cauliflower pancakes:
1. Begin by using a sharp knife to chop the cauliflower into small florets. Once chopped, steam or boil the cauliflower florets until they are fork tender. You should be able to pierce the vegetable easily with a fork. However, be careful not to cook too long. Otherwise, the cauliflower can get too watery.
2. Next, drain the cauliflower and allow to cool. Once the cooked cauliflower is cool enough to handle, place it inside a clean tea towel. Then squeeze the cauliflower to remove the excess water. Set aside.
3. Now beat two large eggs in a medium sized bowl. Once beaten, add the smoked paprika, fine ground sea salt and the ground pepper. Stir well to combine. Then add the cauliflower to the egg and spice mixture, using a potato masher to mash the cauliflower until it breaks down into small pieces.
4. Add the almond flour to the veggie fritters mixture, then stir to mix. The fritter dough should look like a soft dough that holds its shape. If needed, you can add an additional tablespoon of almond flour to the fritter dough.
5. Now fold in the shredded mozzarella cheese. Mix well to evenly distribute the cheese throughout the veggie fritters mixture. (If you’d like to make cauliflower cheddar fritters, simply substitute cheddar cheese for the mozzarella.)
6. Finally, heat a skillet over medium heat with a drizzle with olive oil. Cook the cauliflower fritters until browned, then flip and cook the other side until browned. Serve immediately so your fritters don’t get soggy.
How to Store Leftovers
Now that you know how to make keto cauliflower pancakes, learn how to store them. Leftovers will last in the fridge for about 4 days in an airtight container. Reheat leftovers on the stove in oil just as you cooked them. You can also reheat them in an air fryer or in the oven. Heat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-10 minutes or until warm.
You can also freeze leftover from this cauliflower fritters recipe. Let the cooked cauliflower cheddar fritters cool completely and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in the freezer until frozen. Then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze up to two months. You can bake them from frozen at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
Make delicious low carb cauliflower fritters with cheese and almond flour for a savory breakfast idea. These veggie fritters are both keto and gluten free. If desired, you can substitute the mozzarella cheese with cheddar cheese for cauliflower cheddar fritters.
Low Carb Cauliflower Fritters
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 99Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 5gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 6g
Make delicious low carb cauliflower fritters with cheese and almond flour for a savory breakfast idea. These veggie fritters are both keto and gluten free.
If desired, you can substitute the mozzarella cheese with cheddar cheese for cauliflower cheddar fritters.
More Low Carb Recipe Ideas
If you like this recipe for low carb cauliflower fritters, then be sure explore these other low carb recipes:
- Beet and Spinach Salad
- Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
- Zucchini Egg Cups
- Keto Sausage Biscuits
- Sugar Free Homemade Ketchup (Keto)
- Eggplant Margherita Pizza
- Low Carb Zucchini Ravioli
This recipe for keto cauliflower pancakes originally appeared on Becca Ink.
For more great breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas, follow Soap Deli News on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. Or subscribe to my newsletter.