How to Make Eggless Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
Learn how to make homemade zucchini bread with chocolate chips. This eggless zucchini bread recipe is a delicious and healthy way to use zucchini from your garden. Both dairy free and eggless, this healthy vegan zucchini bread loaf is a wonderful dessert, snack or breakfast bread. It also makes a delicious food gift for neighbors, teachers and housewarming parties.
Eggless Zucchini Bread With Chocolate Chips
My parents always grew a small garden, so I grew up with fresh vegetables each summer. They always planted zucchini, which gave us more than enough squash to use up each summer. Of course, you never want it to go to waste, so you get creative with recipes.
My mom made zucchini bread each year. She always made a traditional recipe, and we loved it. However, now I’m eating a healthier diet and avoiding dairy milk whenever possible. Therefore, I wanted to make a vegan version of this amazing zucchini recipe. I’ve tried several bread recipes that called for zucchini as a key ingredient, but I’ve found I really enjoy homemade zucchini bread with chocolate chips.
If you’ve never made zucchini bread before, it’s important to not that you cannot taste the zucchini. However, by using zucchini to make this light quick bread recipe, you end up with deliciously moist bread loaf. While you may see some green flecks of the peel in this bread, you’ll find that most parts the zucchini melt away into the loaf.
Keep reading to learn how to make this tasty dairy free bread. It’s sure to become one of your favorite zucchini recipes! And I provide answers to common questions you may have about using zucchini to make homemade bread.
Does Zucchini Have to be Peeled to Make Bread?
No, you don’t need to peel zucchini to make homemade zucchini bread. The peel has a lot of vitamins and minerals, so you want to eat that as well as the flesh of the plant. However, if you use a large zucchini, the peel may be tough or bitter. You can peel the zucchini and just use the flesh of the squash to make vegan zucchini bread without applesauce.
Can You Freeze Shredded Zucchini for Later?
Yes, you can freeze shredded zucchini to make this recipe for vegan zucchini bread later. I recommend shredding it to a medium size and not a small size because small shreds will be very mushy.
To freeze shredded zucchini to make a healthy zucchini bread later, shred zucchini and squeeze to remove excess water. Then put 1 cup of shredded zucchini in a freezer bag. When you’re ready to make this bread, allow the zucchini thaw. Then squeeze out extra water and make the recipe as usual.
Can This Bread Recipe Be Used to Make Vegan Zucchini Muffins?
Yes, you can make vegan zucchini muffins instead of vegan zucchini bread using this recipe. Here is how:
- To make vegan zucchini muffins, simply make the batter as called for in the eggless zucchini bread recipe as you normally would.
- Then line each cup of a 12 muffin pan with a paper liner. (Alternately, you can also use a non-stick cooking spray.)
- Bake the dairy free zucchini muffins at the same temperature as you would the bread, but check on them after 15 minutes.
- The muffins are ready once the tops are lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
Can You Make This Zucchini Bread Gluten Free?
Yes, you can make a gluten free eggless zucchini bread recipe. To do this, I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour. It’s formulated to work in the same amount as regular flour in baking recipes without yeast.
Can You Make Zucchini Bread Without Oil?
Yes, you can make vegan zucchini bread without oil. To make this eggless zucchini bread recipe without oil, simply substitute the oil with the same amount of either pumpkin puree or unsweetened applesauce. Personally, I like using applesauce. It makes this dairy free zucchini bread light and fluffy.
What Causes Zucchini Bread to Sink in the Middle?
This zucchini bread recipe with chocolate chips can sink in the middle for a number of reasons. Here are some of the causes of zucchini bread sinking in the middle:
- It could be that your baking powder didn’t rise.
- You may have overfilled the the loaf pan.
- Alternately, if you mix the batter too vigorously it can create a lot of small air bubbles that aren’t stable.
How Do You Keep Zucchini Bread From Sinking in the Middle?
Use these tips to prevent your eggless zucchini bread from sinking in the middle:
- Don’t overmix the batter for this vegan zucchini bread without applesauce.
- Use an oven thermometer to ensure that your oven is at the right temperature.
- Reduce the oven temperature 25 degrees for glass pans.
- Always use fresh baking powder.
- Don’t fill the pan to the top; the healthy zucchini bread batter needs space to rise.
- Squeeze excess water from the zucchini.
- Grease the bottom of the loan pan. This allows the bread to rise during baking.
- Bake the easy vegan zucchini bread with chocolate chips as soon as it’s ready. Don’t save the batter.
- Cool the healthy vegan zucchini bread for 10 minutes in the pan. Then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Tips for Perfect Eggless Zucchini Bread
Use these tips when making dairy free zucchini bread with chocolate chips for best results:
- Shred zucchini using a medium sized grater. Smaller shreds will be soggy.
- Squeeze excess water from the zucchini before baking.
- Spray the bottom of the loaf pan with a non-stick spray, but don’t spray the sides.
- Don’t overmix the batter or it can become tough and sink in the middle.
Recipe Variations for Vegan Zucchini Bread
Try one of these recipe variations for your healthy vegan zucchini bread if you’d like to mix things up:
- You can use yellow squash in place of the zucchini.
- Use white chocolate chips or even peanut butter chips.
- Add ⅓ cup chopped nuts or toasted coconut.
- Use applesauce or pumpkin puree in place of the oil.
- Add nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon or even cacao chili powder to the bread to customize it to your taste.
- Make chocolate zucchini bread by adding 1/3 cup cocoa powder or roasted cacao powder to the recipe.
How to Serve Vegan Zucchini Bread With Chocolate Chips
I like to eat this vegan zucchini bread without applesauce plain by the slice. However, you can also serve it with vegan ice cream or chocolate frosting. You can also melt peanut butter, caramel sauce or chocolate ganache and drizzle over cut slices.
Healthy Vegan Zucchini Bread Ingredients
To make this healthy eggless zucchini bread recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- All purpose flour: To make this bread gluten free, substitute the all-purpose flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour.
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Flaxseed meal: This is combined with warm water to make a flax egg to use in place of eggs in the recipe.
- Warm water
- Zucchini: This recipe calls for 1 cup shredded zucchini, which is about one small sized zucchini.
- Neutral cooking oil: You’ll want to use a neutral cooking oil to bake this bread. I recommend using either canola or sunflower oil.
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan chocolate chips
How to Make Eggless Zucchini Bread
1. To make this eggless zucchini bread recipe, first preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8’’ loaf pan by spraying the bottom of the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set the pan aside.
2. Next, prepare the flaxseed egg. To do this, measure out the flaxseed meal and mix with warm water. Allow the flaxseed egg to rest for at least 15 minutes.
3. Once the flaxseed egg is ready, mix the white and brown sugar with the oil in a medium bowl.
4. Then add the flaxseed egg and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
5. Next, add the shredded zucchini to the prepared batter. Stir until combined.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the flour with salt and baking powder. Mix until the dry ingredients are evenly distributed throughout. Then add the dry ingredients to the first bowl with the batter. Stir until the batter is just combined.
7. Now fold the vegan chocolate chips into the eggless bread batter.
8. Once the chocolate chips are mixed in, pour the batter inside the prepared loaf pan. Shake the pan to even out the batter to the sides. This ensures that the bread raises evenly.
9. Bake the bread loaf in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10. Once baked, allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes. Then remove the bread from the pan and place on a wire baking rack to finish cooling.
After the bread has cooled, cut the bread loaf into slices. Then serve and enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover portions of this dairy free zucchini bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To keep this eggless zucchini bread moist, do not cut it into slices until ready to serve.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Bread?
This recipe for vegan zucchini bread freezes very well. Bake the bread as directed and let cool completely. Then wrap the loaf in plastic wrap. Place loaves in a freezer bag or wrap in foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Finally, thaw at room temperature for a few hours or in the fridge overnight.
Eggless Zucchini Bread Recipe
This eggless zucchini bread recipe without applesauce is a delicious way to use zucchini from your garden. Learn how to make zucchini bread with chocolate chips with this healthy, dairy free vegan recipe.
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup white sugar
- ½ Cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 Cup shredded zucchini
- ½ Cups neutral cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ Cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8’’ loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Prepare the flaxseed egg by mixing the flaxseed meal with warm water. Then let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix the white and brown sugar with the oil in a medium bowl. Add the flaxseed egg and vanilla extract, then stir to combine.
- Add the shredded zucchini to the batter and mix.
- Now combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl. Mix until thoroughly incorporated. Then add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the zucchini bread batter. Stir until it is just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Now pour the batter into the prepared pan. Shake the pan to even out the batter to the sides so that the bread rises evenly.
- Bake the bread loaf for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan place onto a wire cooling rack.
- Cut the cooled bread loaf into slices. Then serve and enjoy!
You can make this bread ahead and freeze it in slices to have it ready on any occasion.
Keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for the bread to stay moist.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 59gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 4g
More Zucchini Recipes
If you like my eggless zucchini bread recipe, then be sure to try these other zucchini recipes for more tasty ways to cook with zucchini:
- Vegan Zucchini Brownies Recipe
- Low Carb Zucchini Egg Cups
- Crispy Zucchini Chips
- Zucchini Ravioli Recipe
- Vegetarian Zucchini Boats Recipe
- Crispy Zucchini Fritters
- Zucchini Noodles with Alfredo
This recipe for vegan zucchini bread with chocolate chips originally appeared on Becca Ink.
For more vegan recipe ideas as well as recipes for how to make bread and baked goods, follow Soap Deli News on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. Or subscribe to my newsletter.