Chocolate Skin Care Recipes for Natural Beauty
Your skin is going to love these chocolate skin care recipes! Formulated for natural beauty, these homemade chocolate skin products are perfect for all over body care. Discover the beauty benefits of dark chocolate, plus learn how to create a variety of fun recipes for an at home spa day.
Chocolate Skin Care
Get beautiful, glowing skin when you incorporate chocolate into your skin care routine! Chocolate is a wonderful ingredient for cosmetic applications. It not only works well for all over body care, but it’s also ideal for facial care. From chocolate face masks and body butters to homemade soaps, chocolate makes a simply amazing ingredient choice.
Making skin care products with chocolate is not more difficult than creating beauty recipes without this ingredient. In fact, cocoa butter is common ingredient in many skin care recipes. It’s also the key ingredient used to make the chocolate that we eat! When roasted, the rich chocolate scent and flavor of this ingredients shines through. Roasted cocoa butter possesses all the same skin care benefits as regular cocoa butter, however it smells all the more like those delicious dark chocolate candy bars we’ve come to love.
In addition to adding roasted cocoa butter to create chocolate skin care products, you can also add cocoa powder to your cosmetic applications. Unsweetened cocoa powder or even roasted cacao powder are two easy ways to enhance the natural chocolate fragrance of the recipes you create.
Keep reading to discover about the skin benefits of chocolate. You’ll also find a wonderful collection of chocolate beauty recipes for your natural skin care routine.
Which Chocolate Is Best for Skin?
Not only is dark chocolate the most nutritious, but dark chocolate is also the best type of chocolate for skin care and beauty applications. Dark chocolate contains flavanols and antioxidants that support skin health and may aid in the prevention of sun damage. It’s also a wonderful ingredient for anti-aging skin care products.
Dark Chocolate Skin Care Product Benefits
Dark chocolate is a wonderful ingredient for natural beauty and skin care. This product is not only rich in antioxidants that support wellness, but it also contains bioactive compounds that are great for your skin. Following are the benefits that dark chocolate provides when used to create products for cosmetic applications:
- Dark chocolate contains flavanols that studies show can protect against sun damage. In addition, these bioactive compounds may also improve blood flow to the skin and increase skin hydration and density when used regularly.
- This tasty ingredient has anti-aging properties when used in skin care thanks to the antioxidants polyphenols, flavanols, and catechins. It helps lighten dark spots and pigmentation. And, as it may increase collagen, it can also reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Chocolate may promote healthy cell growth thanks to skin nourishing minerals such as copper, iron, and zinc.
- The naturally occurring minerals and other compounds found in dark chocolate also promote healing, so wounds and acne recover faster.
- The magnesium found in chocolate helps promote healthy sleep and may reduce stress.
- Flavonols are wonderful for skin inflammation. These compounds reduce body inflammation making chocolate a wonderful skin care ingredient for dry and eczema prone skin.
Chocolate Skin Care Recipes
Is chocolate your go to when you need a pick me up? I love chocolate for its antioxidant benefits. However, it’s useful for more than just a tasty treat! You can also use chocolate to create your own chocolate skin care products! Recently I went digging through my recipe archives and I found two fun, chocolate skin care recipes from way back in 2005.
The first recipe for chocolate skin care is an exfoliating chocolate body wash recipe. While the other is a chocolate mint foot scrub recipe that’s made using the leftover ingredients, with some additions, from the first recipe. Both of these natural products are made using rich, dark cocoa powder in addition to a luxe combination of rich, moisturizing body butters and carrier oils. Body scrub exfoliants are included in both recipes to slough off dead skin cells to reveal softer, brighter skin. If you’re looking for fun spa day recipes to make with your friends, give these easy beauty projects a try!
In addition these two recipes for chocolate skin care products, I’ve also include other marvelous recipes that you can try to amp up the excitement for a ladies craft night or a spa day at home. They include chocolate beauty projects for making homemade soap, lip and body scrubs, chocolate body butters, a cleansing balm and more!
Chocolate Exfoliating Body Wash Recipe
This chocolate body wash is an exciting way to reveal glowing skin using one cocoa powder. This natural beauty recipe is formulated using a combination of brown sugar, apricot kernel meal and fine ground pumice to exfoliate skin. I used unscented Castile soap as the base for this body wash recipe, then combined it with shea body butter and avocado oil to moisturize, nourish and hydrate skin. Vitamin E is added as an antioxidant. And, of course, there’s cocoa powder and a chocolate fragrance oil to make this body wash smell like your favorite treat.
If you prefer not to use a synthetic fragrance to scent this chocolate skin care product, you may substitute the chocolate fragrance oil with cocoa absolute. I recommend using 3/4 teaspoon of the absolute, then tweaking the amount as needed until the desired fragrance is achieved. In addition to the chocolatey fragrance, you can also try an exciting and unique combination of chocolate and coffee. For chocolate and coffee essential oil blends, be sure to check out my chocolate body butter recipe.
These are the ingredients need to make a homemade body wash with chocolate for glowing skin:
- 3/4 Cup Liquid Castile Soap
- 1/4 Cup Refined Shea Butter
- 1/8 Cup Fine Ground pumice
- 1/4 Cup Apricot Kernel Meal (or Jojoba Meal)
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder (or Roasted Cacao Powder)
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vitamin E Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Chocolate Fragrance Oil (or 3/4 teaspoon Cocoa Absolute)
How to Make Chocolate Body Wash
To make this exfoliating chocolate body wash, follow these steps:
- First melt the shea butter over low on the stove. Ideally you may want to use a double boiler. However, you may also melt the ingredients for this chocolate skin care product in the microwave. When using a microwave, heat in a heat-safe container for about 2 – 2 1/2 minutes at 60% power until completely melted.
- Remove from heat. Then combine the shea butter with the liquid Castile soap. Mix well.
- Stir in other remaining ingredients. Take care to break up brown sugar completely so there are no clumps.
- Once thoroughly combined, fill an 8oz. plastic jar and screw on lid. (I used a measuring cup with a pour spout for this.) Reserve the remaining body wash mixture for the chocolate mint foot scrub recipe below.
- Allow the body wash to set up completely. It will thicken over time. Left at room temperature, this chocolate body wash will completely thicken in about two days. If desired, you can place your chocolate skin care product in the refrigerator to speed up the process.
To use this chocolate body wash, remove desired amount from the container. Then massage onto damp skin in the shower and bath to exfoliate and cleanse skin. After bathing, rinse off. Then pat dry. Follow with your favorite body butter for dry skin.
Chocolate Mint Foot Scrub Recipe
Homemade foot scrubs are a wonderful, all natural way to care for feet. Made using essential oils for cracked heels, this DIY is a great way to heal cracked heels fast. Learn how to make this pedicure foot scrub for dead skin and calluses as an important step in achieving your skin care goals.
Here is what you’ll need to make a chocolate foot scrub DIY:
- Remaining body wash from Chocolate Body Wash Recipe (Above)
- 1/8 Cup Fine Ground pumice
- 1/2 teaspoon Lavender Essential Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Liquid Vegetable Glycerin
- 1/8 Cup Cocoa Powder (or Roasted Cacao Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Chocolate Fragrance Oil (or 1/2 teaspoon Cocoa Absolute)
How to Make a Chocolate Foot Scrub
Making this chocolate skin care product is so easy. Here’s how to make an exfoliating chocolate foot scrub recipe with cocoa powder:
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the scrub into a 4oz. plastic or glass jar, the allow to cool.
Use this DIY foot scrub for calluses once per week to exfoliate the rough skin on the heels and bottoms of feet.
Chocolate & Orange Brown Sugar Coffee Scrub Recipe
This coffee sugar scrub recipe contains ground coffee, brown sugar and hazelnuts to exfoliate skin. Scented with a chocolate absolute and orange essential oil, this DIY coffee scrub is another great option for natural skin care.
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Coffee Beans, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon Hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Sweet Almond Oil
- 2 teaspoons Jojoba Oil
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 8 drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 8 drops of Cocoa Absolute)
- Dash of Cinnamon
How to Make a Chocolate Coffee Sugar Scrub
To make this coffee body scrub recipe with chocolate and orange essential oils, complete these steps:
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Package in a container of your choice.
Keep this product sealed in an airtight container in the refrigerator when not in use. To use, take a scoop of the scrub and gently massage in circular motions over your body. Take care to avoid the face and neck. Rinse well. Then pat dry and follow with an anti-aging serum.
Silky Exfoliating Chocolate Soap Recipe
Discover how to make deliciously scented and convincingly colored luxury soaps with a chocolatey twist! This DIY chocolate soap is made using a melt and pour soap base for an easy recipe that smells like your favorite candy.
- 2 lb Melt & Pour Soap Base
- 1/2 cup Goat’s Milk Powder
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cacao Powder (or Kola Nut Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Macadamia Nut Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted Cocoa Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Mango Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Silk Amino Acids
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Chocolate Fragrance Oil (Or 1/2 Tablespoon Cocoa Absolute)
How to Make Melt and Pour Chocolate Soap
Here is how to make this chocolate melt and pour soap recipe:
- Melt the butters and glycerin soap base over a double boiler.
- When liquid, blend in macadamia oil and silk.
- Let it cool slightly.
- Pour about 1 cup of soap into a separate dish and blend well with Goat’s Milk powder, making sure to eliminate all lumps.
- Combine with rest of melted soap.
- Then, mix in the fragrance and roasted cacao powder to achieve desired chocolate color and scent.
- Pour into molds. Then allow to harden prior to removal.
Use this DIY chocolate soap bar the same as you would any other bar soap to cleanse and hydrate skin as you bathe.
More Recipes for Chocolate Skin Care
If you like my DIY chocolate body wash and homemade foot scrub, then be sure to explore these additional recipes for chocolate skin care. These amazing DIY chocolate products are ideal for everyday beauty. Or make them to give as Valentine’s Day gifts to loved ones. (Personally, I think a combination of these beauty and skin care products are ideal for creating a homemade gift basket!)
- Chocolate Body Butter: Made with roasted cocoa butter wafers for a rich chocolate scent, this all natural body butter recipe is ideal for moisturizing dry skin. Free of artificial fragrances, this DIY body butter can be further scented with one of several essential oil blends comprised of coffee essential oil and cocoa absolute.
- Chocolate Mint Lip Scrub: This easy, homemade lip scrub takes just 5-minutes to make and is ideal for rejuvenating and exfoliating dry or chapped lips. Naturally scented with cocoa absolute and peppermint essential oil, this DIY lip scrub exfoliates to remove dead skin cells and hydrate skin.
- Chocolate Rose Body Cream: This natural chocolate rose body moisturizer with coconut oil is scented with chocolate absolute and rose essential oil for a natural fragrance that will delight the senses. While a rich blend of hydrating coconut oil and other carrier oils deliver moisturizing relief for dry skin.
- Chocolate Orange Soap: This easy melt and pour soap recipe contains dark cocoa powder so you can bathe in your favorite food! Scented with orange essential oil that naturally compliments the fragrance of the cocoa powder, this glycerin soap recipe also contains almond extract and a dash of ground cinnamon.
- Strawberry Chocolate Sugar Scrub Bars: This solid sugar scrub bar recipe makes a sweet treat for skin that resembles fudge. These DIY sugar scrub bars make delightful homemade gifts to exfoliate and hydrate dry skin.
- Chili Chocolate Sore Muscle Salve: This warming body salve is formulated to not only relieve pain, but it also smells amazing! Formulated to work well when used in conjunction with body massage, this sore muscle salve boasts a naturally stimulating chili and chocolate fragrance derived from essential oils.
- Chocolate Ginger Agave Lip Butter: This homemade lip butter recipe is made with yummy agave syrup and is naturally scented with cocoa absolute and ginger essential oil. While natural alkanet root powder gives lips a beautiful, subtle tint. You’ll simply love how kissably soft this DIY lip butter makes your lips feel as well as the lip gloss like shine! Plus it’s so easy to make!
- Chocolate Mint Lip Balm: Learn how to make your own lip balm with this easy recipe! Perfect for dry or, chapped lips, this rich DIY chocolate lip balm is formulated with natural moisturizing butters with a fun chocolate mint flavor!
- Chocolate Cleansing Balm: This rich and decadent chocolate makeup melting cleansing balm is the perfect solution for facial care. This DIY cleansing balm with bacuri butter contains a natural emulsifier that effortlessly dissolves even the most stubborn makeup, while cocoa butter and exotic bacuri butter deeply nourish your skin. Your face will be left clean and soft while you enjoy the subtle aroma of deep, dark chocolate.
- Milk Chocolate Bath Salts: This adorable DIY hot chocolate milk bath recipe from Everything Pretty is perfect for a relaxing bath for yourself or to make as DIY gift for friends.
- Chocolate Rose Bath Bombs: Learn how to make DIY chocolate rose bath bombs that look like truffles! This romantic bath bomb recipe from A Life Adjacent combines the floral fragrance of roses with decadent chocolate essential oil, boasting a luxurious aroma that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day and beyond.
- Chocolate Mint Heel Balm: Discover how to make a nourishing heel balm for everyday foot care with this easy chocolate mint scented recipe from Life-N-Reflection.
- Chocolate Orange Body Butter and Sugar Scrub: If you need DIY holiday gifts for Mom, then these chocolate orange skin care recipes are a must! Learn how to make a homemade holiday gift set with two amazing recipes formulated for natural skin care.
- Coffee Cocoa Soap Recipe: This coffee and cocoa soap with egg yolk is a natural way to nourish and care for skin. This cold process chocolate soap recipe boasts rich, thick lather — and it’s palm free!
Chocolate Skin Care Products
Love my chocolate skin care recipes but aren’t quite ready to make your own? Following are some wonderful, artisan chocolate body products you can purchase for your natural beauty and skin care regimen:
- Chocolate Lotion: Made with natural cocoa and vanilla, this handmade chocolate moisturizer is an easy way to enjoy the skin benefits of real chocolate.
- Chocolate Whipped Body Butter: Formulated with moisturizing cocoa butter and rich, dark chocolate cocoa powder, this whipped body butter smells good enough to eat!
- Vegan Chocolate Soap: This edible looking soap is perfect for a chocolate lover! The sweet aroma will have you craving chocolatey cake, fudgey brownies or a classic, milk chocolate candy bar. The delectable scent is a blend of almond butter, vanilla, sugar, cocoa and cream. Made with sweet almond oil, not only does this soap look great, it is crafted to infuse the skin with all of the protective and repairing properties that sweet almond oil offers.
- Chocolate Face Mask: This face mask is an intensely nourishing, indulgent and uplifting mask made with organic cacao for sensual luxury. It’s formulated with gentle kaolin clay to detox skin and draw out impurities. In addition to the clay, this chocolate skin care product also contains lactic acid to gently exfoliate, brighten and deliver a boost of skin collagen. This exquisite, good enough to eat mask provides a sensory, euphoric treat for your face and mind.
- Chocolate Coffee Body Scrub: There is nothing better than a fresh smell of coffee! This exfoliating coffee scrub with coconut oil and cocoa will have you feeling refreshed in not time. This chocolate body scrub provides skin hydration and improves your skin complexion. It also consist of Omega 6 fatty acids which help fight against premature aging. While naturally occurring Vitamin C and Magnesium help protect and maintain a healthy skin.
- Coffee Mocha Soap: This cold process coffee cocoa soap is formulated with a yogurt Infused blend of freshly brewed coffee and chocolate. This perfectly balanced, creamy and super rich soap boasts scent notes of cocoa, nutmeg, coffee and cardamon and features a creamy top with gentle exfoliation.
For more chocolate body products, explore my collection of coffee and chocolate skin care products on Etsy here.
I hope you love these natural ways to care for skin using chocolate! For more natural body care recipes, be sure to follow Soap Deli News online. You can find and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram as well as on Pinterest. Or subscribe via email.