Easy Halloween Slime Cupcakes Filled with Edible Pudding Slime
Check out this quick and easy Halloween slime cupcakes recipe! This spooky Halloween treat is filled with homemade edible slime on the inside similar to that of a cream-filled, Halloween snack cake. So, it’s both a creative and tasty way to scare up some fun with an unexpected surprise for all your party guests.
Fun and Easy Halloween Slime Cupcakes
Mix up a batch of fun, kid-friendly cakes for after school, fall snacks or mesmerizing Halloween party treats. Decorated with a mixture vanilla pudding and gel food coloring, these Halloween slime cupcakes are sure to be a smashing success. Simply buy or bake up your favorite cupcake recipe — or transform a package of box cake mix — to create an exceptionally delightful Halloween treat for spooky season.
Decorating your cupcakes really is quick and easy! From start to finish, you can totally transform an ordinary cupcake into a spooky treat in a half hour or less. Prepping the slime and other ingredients for this recipe takes around 10 minutes. While the decorations are complete in about the same amount of time. You’ll just need to start with pre-baked, cooled cupcakes.
This is also a great Halloween project for kids! They’ll feel like a mad scientist when helping with the decorations. So, don’t stress about also getting the children involved throughout the process during the appropriate steps based on their age.
How Do You Make Edible Slime?
Edible slime is as easy to make as it is delicious. The best part is, it only requires two ingredients — vanilla pudding and gel food coloring. So, if you’ve had this Halloween dessert on your bucket list, no worries! Your edible slime is guaranteed to be an instant success! All you need to do is prepare and mix the ingredient together.
Once you’ve learned how to make slime cupcakes with my easy recipe, you can use the same tutorial to decorate cupcakes, cakes, cookies and other holiday party food throughout the year.
Slime Filled Halloween Cupcake Ingredients
Are you ready to scare up some fun? Turn your holiday gathering into a scaretastic evening with these wonderful, slime filled treats. Here’s what you’ll need to create these tasty Halloween desserts.
- Chocolate Cupcakes: You’ll use pre-baked cupcakes to create Halloween slime cupcakes. Therefore, additional ingredients such as flour, oil, eggs and sugar aren’t necessary. However, if desired, you can quickly bake fresh cupcakes from scratch using box cake mix. In this instance, you can choose your favorite type of cake and even festive cupcake liners to truly make this dessert your own. Just be sure to pick up the additional ingredients called for on the back of the box. Then follow the directions for baking in the oven.
- Vanilla Pudding: This ingredient when prepared as directed is used to create the edible slime filling waiting to be discovered inside these spooky cupcakes. While there are recipes that use lemon curd to make edible slime filling, this recipe is less complicated and also more palatable for every age group. I don’t recommend using another flavor, as you need to be able to tint the filling green. However, you can also color the slime mixture red, for an equally frightening treat.
- Cold milk: The milk called for is used to reconstitute the pudding mix you’ll use to make the slime filling for these cupcakes.
- Vanilla buttercream: I colored buttercream frosting black, then used it to decorate the tops of these Halloween cupcakes once they were filled with slime.
- Halloween Sprinkles: Candy sprinkles make everything better! While optional, you may add colorful candy sprinkles in shades of purple, green and orange to the icing once you add frosting the top.
- Mini Candy Eyes: Mini or even jumbo candy eyes really make this holiday dessert for fall pop! Add a set of eyes to each of your cupcakes for decoration. Or go with multiple sets for each one to make these treats extra spooky.
- Gel Food Coloring: You’ll use three colors of Wilton Gel Food Coloring to color different aspects of this project. This type of food color changes the color but not the consistency of the ingredients used. I chose green to tint the slime filling. While black and brown food coloring are used to color the buttercream icing.
Kitchen Tools and Equipment
In order to prepare the green slime filling and decorate the cupcakes, you will also need the following kitchen tools and equipment.
- Medium bowl: You’ll need a medium sized bowl to make the vanilla flavored, slime pudding for this recipe.
- Whisk: A whisk is used to mix the cold milk and instant pudding mix together. You may also use an electric hand mixer to combine the pudding mix and milk.
- Piping Bag or Large Ziplock Bag: To build height when frosting the Halloween cupcakes, I recommend using a piping bag with a 1M icing tip. Otherwise, you can fill a Ziploc bag with icing, then snip off the end for a makeshift piping bag on a budget.
- Paring Knife: To fill the cupcakes with slime, you will need to remove the tops from the baked cupcakes once they have cooled. A paring knife makes this a quick and simple task. However, you can also use a cupcake corer if you don’t have a steady hand.
How to Make Slime Filled, Halloween Cupcakes
This tutorial walks you through the steps on how to decorate cupcakes for spooky Halloween treats and creative desserts for your fantastic occasion. Or recreate these as Mad Scientist cupcakes for a birthday party or Nickelodeon themed celebration.
If you’re ready to bring a spark of creativity to your kitchen table, follow these instructions to learn how to make these quick and easy treats for Halloween.
Make Green Halloween Slime Cupcake Filling
1. You will begin by making the edible slime used to fill the cupcakes. To do this, begin by adding the instant pudding to a medium bowl.
2. Now use a measuring cup to measure out the cold milk. Add the milk to the pudding mix and whisk to combine.
3. Next, add several drops of either green or electric green gel food coloring to the blended mixture, depending on the intensity of color you are after. Two to three drops should suffice.
TIP: I recommend that you use GEL based food coloring for this project as substitutions may not work out as desired.
4. After adding the colorant, whisk the slime pudding for two minutes.
5. Set it aside and allow to rest for 5-minutes.
Color the Frosting
6. While you wait on the pudding, color the vanilla buttercream frosting. Do this by adding brown gel food coloring to half of the icing. Then mix to combine, slowly incorporating the remainder of the icing into the mixture.
7. Once all of the frosting has been colored brown, add several drops of the black gel food color. Mix well.
8. Fit a piping back with a 1M tip. Then fill the bag with the colored icing. Fill a separate piping bag with the prepared slime filling.
TIP: If you don’t have a piping bag, or are looking to cut expenses, you can fill a large zipper bag with the icing, then cut off a small corner of the bag to serve the same purpose.
Prepare Chocolate Cupcakes
9. Now that the pudding and icing are ready to go, prepare the cupcakes so they can be filled with the edible homemade slime, then decorated. Use a sharp paring knife to carefully remove the top from each cupcake so they remain intact.
TIP: You should use either plain chocolate or vanilla cupcakes for this project. They can either be store bought or baked at home. If using freshly baked cupcakes, ensure that they have cooled completely prior to getting started. In addition, you’ll find that it’s easiest to fill and decorate them after they have been removed from the muffins pans.
10. Once you remove the tops from the chocolate cupcakes, carefully core out the center of each dessert cake.
Fill Halloween Cupcakes with Edible Slime
11. Use the piping bag to fill the center of each hollowed out cupcake with the slime filling.
12. Then carefully place the tops from each cupcake back onto each one so they cover the filling. Gently press each top down so it stays in place.
Frost Cupcakes and Decorate
13. Finally, decorate each Halloween cupcake with the prepared black frosting. Pipe the frosting into a tall swirl onto each.
14. Add sprinkles and candy eyes to each of your holiday desserts. Then serve and enjoy!
You may store cupcakes with buttercream frosting at room temperature for up to two days. I recommend they be stored in an airtight container so they don’t dry out and to prevent contamination.Alternately, these may also be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to seven days.
However, if you’re buttercream icing is made using real butter or another dairy product, refrigeration is recommended.
- 18 baked and cooled chocolate cupcakes
- 1 3.4 oz. box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups whole cold milk
- 2 cups vanilla buttercream icing
- Halloween Sprinkles, to suit
- Mini candy Eyeballs, to suit
- 2-3 drops Electric Green Gel Food Coloring
- 2-3 drops Brown Gel Food Coloring
- 2-3 drops Black Gel Food Coloring
- Add the instant pudding to a medium bowl.
- Use a measuring cup to measure out the cold milk. Add the milk to the pudding mix and whisk to combine.
- Add several drops of either green or electric green gel food coloring to the blended mixture, depending on the intensity of color you are after.
- After adding the colorant, whisk the slime pudding for two minutes.
- Set it aside and allow to rest for 5-minutes.
- Color the vanilla buttercream frosting by adding brown gel food coloring to half of the icing. Then mix to combine, slowly incorporating the remainder of the icing into the mixture.
- Once all of the frosting has been colored brown, add several drops of the black gel food color. Mix well.
- Fit a piping back with a 1M tip. Then fill the bag with the colored icing. Fill a separate piping bag with the prepared slime filling.
- Use a sharp paring knife to carefully remove the top from each cupcake so they remain intact.
- Once you remove the tops from the chocolate cupcakes, carefully core out the center of each dessert cake.
- Fill the center of each hollowed out cupcake with the slime filling.
- Carefully place the tops from each cupcake back onto each one so they cover the filling. Gently press each top down so it stays in place.
- Decorate each Halloween cupcake with the prepared black frosting. Pipe the frosting into a tall swirl onto each.
- Add sprinkles and candy eyes to each of your holiday desserts. Then serve and enjoy!
You may store these Halloween cupcakes with buttercream frosting at room temperature for up to two days. I recommend they be stored in an airtight container so they don't dry out and to prevent contamination.Alternately, these may also be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to seven days.
However, if you're buttercream icing is made using real butter or another dairy product, refrigeration is recommended.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
Halloween Desserts and Treats
I hope you love my Halloween slime cupcake recipe. If you enjoyed this creative holiday dessert, then be sure to serve some of these other treats at your next Halloween party.
- Ghost Cupcakes: A delicious, sweet and fun treat for kids and adults of all ages. You can make ghost cupcakes at home using your favorite box cupcake mix, lollipops and fondant. This adorable party idea is easier to make than you may imagine; and a delight to both create and devour.
- Halloween Cakesicles: These colorful cake popsicles are the fall desserts of dreams. They’re quick to make and even quicker to devour. Perfect for parties or autumn gatherings, these pumpkin popsicle cake pops are made using chocolate box cake mix for a delicious, seasonal fall dessert.
- Halloween Bark: This easy candy is also perfect for all your party tricksters. Try this recipe for making chocolate bark to delight your guests. Plus learn how to choose the best chocolate for chocolate candy bark, as well as tips on melting and tempering chocolate.
- Caramel Apples with Gourmet Toppings: This easy gourmet caramel apple recipe is the perfect way to enjoy apples when they’re in season. Serve these candy apples as a tasty snack or party food when entertaining this fall.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies: Learn how to make pumpkin cheesecake brownies with box mix. These delish pumpkin brownies make a perfect fall dessert with a rich chocolate flavor, a creamy pumpkin cheesecake layer and a pecan streusel topping.
This recipe for Halloween slime cupcakes originally appeared on Becca Ink.