Palm Free Soap Recipes
Why Palm Free Soap Recipes?
Traditionally, one of the main ingredients of cold process soap has been palm oil. However, as the use of palm oil has increased primarily due to its cheap price and wide availability, there has been controversy within the soapmaking community regarding its use. Production of palm oil in Southeast Asia has resulted in not only the depletion of the rain forest which is being torn down to create palm plantations, but it also threatens endangered animals like orangutans and Sumatran tigers who call these rain forests home. Some soapmakers choose not to use palm oil at all because of this, while others choose to purchase only sustainable palm oil that is given oversight from state and third party environmental programs such as EcoSocial and the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil.
Because palm oil is so cheap, many commercial products are made using palm oil including soaps and stearic acid – a common ingredient in lotions. Shortening is also made with palm oil or a combination of palm oil and other oils. The popular brand, Crisco, now uses palm oil for its shortening in place of what was originally cottonseed oil.
As my goal with this blog is to provide information and recipes, I leave the decision of whether or not to use or not use palm oil up to you. However, should you choose to omit palm oil from your cold process soap recipes, I’m providing this collection of fifteen of my homemade cold process palm free soap recipes.
Homemade Palm Free Soap Recipes
1. Homemade Green Tea and Turmeric Soap Recipe – This homemade green tea & turmeric palm free soap recipe harnesses green tea’s anti-oxidant properties with turmeric’s anti-acne & skin lightening properties.
2. Homemade Peppermint & Patchouli Castile Soap Recipe – This homemade peppermint & patchouli Castile soap recipe lends a fun twist to a basic Castile soap recipe with Hawaiian alaea salt and midnight black clay.
3. Coconut Oil Facial Soap Recipe for Acne Prone Skin – This coconut oil facial soap recipe for acne prone skin combines ingredients known for their acne fighting properties to help skin acne free!
4. Spicy Pepper & Patchouli Palm Free Cold Process Soap Recipe – This cold process palm free soap recipe is scented with spicy pepper and patchouli, clove and cinnamon essential oils for a soap suitable for either sex.
5. Castile Soap Recipe with Bee Pollen Powder – This homemade Castile soap recipe is made with bee pollen powder which has skin soothing and anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Cold Process Wine Soap Recipe – This fun cold process wine soap recipe is a creative way to use up that leftover wine that’s sat in the fridge too long or simply wasn’t too your liking.
7. Homemade Bacon Soap Recipe for Men – This homemade bacon palm free soap recipe is made with real bacon fat and yields a hard, extra conditioning soap that can either smell like bacon or any other scent of your choice!
8. Nuts Over You Homemade Cold Process Soap Recipe – This nuts over you homemade cold process palm free soap reecipe is all about nut oils! And you’d be hard pressed to get a homemade soap bar any nuttier than this one!
9. Cold Process Macadamia Nut Salt Bar Soap Recipe – This fabulous homemade macadamia nut salt bar soap recipe is made with a generous percentage of moisturizing macadamia nut oil and natural sea salt.
10. Naughty Kitty Palm Free Cold Process Soap Recipe – My Naughty Kitty cold process palm free soap recipe is made using Australian Midnight Black Clay known for its detoxifying and conditioning properties.
11. Green Tea & Agave Homemade Cold Process Soap Recipe – This green tea & agave homemade cold process palm free soap recipe is formulated with skin conditioning oils and boasts the anti-oxidant power of natural green tea.
12. Ginger and Lime Homemade Shampoo Bar Recipe with Silk – This homemade shampoo bar recipe is scented with a summery blend of lime & ginger and contains silk and hair nourishing argan, jojoba oils and shea butter!
13. Natural Handmade Activated Charcoal Facial Soap Recipe – This natural activated charcoal soap recipe contains activated charcoal to help detox skin and keep it blemish free. It also contains natural algae and lavender and tea tree essential oils.
14. Natural Homemade Patchouli Crunch Soap Recipe – This homemade patchouli soap recipe is perfect for the hippie in you! It contains a naturally exfoliating “granola crunch” and patchouli essential oil.
15. Traditional Castile Soap Recipe – This traditional Castile soap recipe is made using 100% olive oil and is scented with natural basil, lemongrass and rosemary essential oils.
Looking for a simple beginner soap recipe too try? Then give my beginner’s cold process soap recipe a try. This homemade soap recipe contains just three inexpensive ingredients that can be easily sourced at most grocery stores. And, there’s both a palm and a palm free version. Find the recipe here. Or go here for my tutorial on how to make cold process soap from scratch. Or go here to learn how to use a lye calculator to create your own custom cold process soap recipe.
For even more homemade soap recipes and palm free homemade soap recipes, be sure to follow my Simply Soapmaking and DIY Bath and Body boards on Pinterest. Or keep up with all of my new homemade soap, bath and beauty recipes by following me on Blog Lovin’, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, G+ and Instagram.