Blue-Green Algae Body Scrub Recipe with Coconut Oil
Naturally exfoliate and moisturize your skin with this mineral rich, blue-green algae body scrub recipe with coconut oil. This natural skin care product is a great way to get glowing skin, and can be made in your home for personal use or homemade gifts.
This natural blue-green algae body scrub recipe with coconut oil contains blue-green algae and coconut oil, ingredients both prized for their antioxidant properties. Blue-green algae, or spirulina powder, is naturally rich in vitamins & minerals, lipids, active enzymes, amino, nucleic, and fatty acids. While coconut oil is prized for its high vitamin E content, essential fatty acids and moisturizing properties.
I used walnut hull powder as the exfoliant for this blue-green algae body scrub recipe which is rich in vitamin C and zinc. Black walnut hull powder also contains essential fatty acids which are believed to benefit dry skin and increase stimulation. However, you are not limited to using walnut hull powder as your exfoliant. You can also substitute sugar, sea salt or apricot kernel meal in this blue-green algae body scrub recipe for the walnut powder.
In addition to coconut oil, I also used one of my favorite dry oils in this body scrub recipe with coconut oil — hemp seed oil. Hemp seed oil is rich in essential omega fatty acids and proteins which really help make this scrub leave skin feeling truly remarkable without feeling greasy or oily.
Algae Body Scrub Recipe with Coconut Oil
© Rebecca D. Dillon
These are the ingredients you will need to make this homemade body scrub for glowing skin:
- 2.5 oz. refined coconut oil
- 1.5 oz. hemp seed oil
- .25 oz. xanthan gum powder
- 1.5 oz. walnut hull powder
- .2 oz. spirulina powder
- 2 ml + 8 drops essential oil of choice, optional
Tips + Substitutions for Making Body Scrubs
Here are some helpful tips for making this homemade body scrub for glowing skin:
I use xanthan gum powder (available in most grocery stores) in this blue-green algae body scrub recipe to help thicken up the scrub so it’s not overly thin due to the addition of the hemp seed oil.
You can substitute the xanthan gum with arrowroot powder or another gum powder if you like. Alternately, you could omit the xanthan gum powder all together and instead add about .15 oz. of cocoa butter or .25 oz. shea butter to this blue-green algae body scrub recipe to achieve a stiffer consistency. (However, you may have to play with substitutions a bit though based on the product you’re using and your climate to get the desired consistency. Also keep in mind ingredient changes like swapping the gum powder for butters may cause the scrub to take an extra day or so to fully thicken.)
You can find more tips on how to make homemade scrubs here, along with information on formulating and customizing your own body scrub recipes.
How to Make a Body Scrub with Coconut Oil
Here is how to make my homemade body scrub recipe with coconut oil:
- To make this homemade body scrub recipe you’ll begin by using a digital scale to weigh out the coconut oil. Place in a glass Pyrex measuring cup (or you can use a double boiler) and heat in the microwave until melted.
- Weigh out the hemp seed oil and the xanthan gum powder and stir into the melted coconut oil. Heat at reduced power, mixing occasionally for several minutes. Don’t let the mixture boil.
- Remove from heat. Then weigh out the walnut hull powder and spirulina powder and stir into the oil and xanthan gum mixture.
- Using a graduated transfer pipette measure out your essential oil and stir into the blue-green algae body scrub. (Using an essential oil is optional, however, the spirulina powder will make this body scrub smell very sea-like it you don’t add an essential oil to mask the natural scent of the blue-green algae. Alternately you can use your favorite ocean scented fragrance oil.)
- Allow the blue-green algae body scrub to set up – you can speed this up by placing the body scrub in the fridge – then remix the scrub to re-incorporate any ingredients that may have settled during the time the scrub was solidifying. Spoon the final product into a 6 oz. glass jar of your choice.
How to Use Body Scrub with Coconut Oil
To use this homemade body scrub with coconut oil, simply apply the scrub in a circular motion to wet skin as desired. Then rinse clean and pat dry!
If you liked this blue-green algae body scrub recipe then you may also like my two-ingredient easy coconut oil body scrub recipe and my baking soda and coconut oil face scrub recipe. Or check out these other beauty hacks.
For more of my bath and beauty DIY’s as well as homemade soap recipes be sure to follow me on Pinterest.