Handmade Foaming Salt Scrub DIY

Homemade Foaming Salt Scrub DIY - Easy Homemade Mother's Day Gift Idea
If you’re still in need of a homemade Mother’s Day gift, then you’ll definitely want to consider gifting my easy to craft, handmade foaming salt scrub. This homemade salt scrub recipe combines the cleansing power of soap with the exfoliating and detoxifying properties of dead sea salt, Himalayan pink salt and Epsom salts. It also contains a touch of moisturizing shea butter and luxurious grape seed oil which is perfect for people with skin sensitivities because of its natural non-allergenic properties.

Homemade Mother's Day Gift Idea - DIY Foaming Salt Scrub Recipe - Easy to Make with Readily Available Igredients Including Melt & Pour Soap Base, Shea Butter, Grapeed Oil, Dead Sea Salt, Pink Himalayan Salt and Epsom SaltDIY Foaming Salt Scrub Recipe

© Rebecca’s Soap Delicatessen

Ingredients:

12 oz. Crafter’s Choice Three Butter Melt and Pour Soap Base
2 Tablespoons Grapeseed Oil
1/2 oz. Shea Butter
2 Tablespoons Pink Himalayan Salt
1/4 Cup Dead Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Epsom Salt
1/2 oz. (or approximately 2 Tablespoons) Fragrance Oil or 1/4 oz. (approximately 1 Tablespoon) Essential Oil of choice

Homemade Foaming Salt Scrub Recipe - Easy Bath & Beauty DIY

Instructions:

Cut your soap base into chunks using a Chef’s knife. Then using a Digital Kitchen Scale, weight out 12 oz. of soap base into a large glass pyrex measuring cup. Next weigh out 1/2 oz. of shea butter and add to the soap chunks. Heat your soap base and shea butter in the microwave just until melted.

Now, remove the soap base and shea butter from the microwave. Measure out 2 Tablespoons of Grapeseed Oil and stir into the melted soap base and shea butter mixture. Immediately measure out your salts and stir into the salt scrub base you’ve created. Mix thoroughly.

Finally, weigh out 1/2 oz. (or approximately 2 measured Tablespoons) of skin safe/cosmetic grade fragrance oil of choice and stir into your salt scrub. For this project I used a Lemongrass Sage Fragrance Oil. Alternately, you can use half the amount of your favorite essential oil in lieu of a fragrance oil.

Stir your homemade foaming salt scrub until it starts to thicken then pour it into four 4 oz. containers of your choice. (Or opt for two 8 oz. containers – one for you and one for mom!)

Homemade Mother's Day Gift Idea - Handmade DIY Foaming Salt Scrub RecipeDecorate your jars by wrapping a lovely strip of washi tape around your jars and adding a cute “Handmade with Love” sticker. I purchased my washi tape and stickers from Cute Tape.

DIY Handmade Foaming Salt Scrub Recipe - Easy Melt and Pour Soapmaking Recipe - Homemade Gift Idea

To use this handmade foaming salt scrub, simply scoop a small amount into the palm of your hand and scrub all over your body. It washes, exfoliates and scents your skin in one easy step!

For more homemade Mother’s Day gift ideas, be sure to follow my Handmade Mother’s Day Gift Ideas Board on Pinterest! Keep up with all of my latest diy bath and beauty recipes and diy projects by following me on facebook, twitter, tumblr and blog lovin’!

Comments

1. Jennifer says:

This recipe title made me think the scrub foams when you use it. Is this recipe named Foaming Salt Scrub because it only foams during the process of making it? If so, which ingredients cause this reaction? I’ve just not come across another foaming salt scrub tutorial before.

2. Would this work with cocoa butter?

• Are you wanting to sub cocoa butter for the shea butter? It would probably make it too hard if you use cocoa butter as it’s solid at room temperature. You could sub with another butter that’s semi-solid at room temp like the shea butter is.

3. I love scrub like this!
    Diana Rambles recently posted…Must Follow Facebook Party 1

4. Hi Rebecca! Thank you for sharing at last week’s Get Crafty Friday link party. Your salt scrub has been featured at this week’s party! I hope you will stop by and grab a feature button =)

-Amy @ The Stitchin’ Mommy

• Rachel Regione says:

I made this salt scrub but it came out as hard as a rock. The only thing I changed is that I used the goats milk m&p soap base I had. I used 1/2 oz white ginger and amber for an fo. I am going to have to dig out of the containers to remelt and try to save. Could you give me any ideas why this happened? I really like the idea of this scrub and hope you can help me.

• It could very well be the m&p base. Different m&p bases react differently when salt is added. This particularl base worked great for this when I was experimenting which is why I specifically listed it. I also used the dead sea salt – which is slightly moist – and Himalayan pink salt specifically from Mountain Rose Herbs. I’ve duplicated this recipe several times now without any issues so I can only assume the different ingredient sources made the difference.
        soapdelinews recently posted…DIY No Sew Lavender Dryer Sachet

5. Michelle says:

Does this need a preservative added?

6. Michelle says:

Hello. I am new at making scrubs. I made a scrub with sea salt, essential oil and almond oil. It turned out nice, but I wanted something to foam or suds up, and creamy. Is it ok to use these butter base with oils like almond oil, etc? do they mix well?

• Not all melt and pour soap bases are the same – as some don’t break down when salt is added. This particular one does which is what makes it so perfect for this salt scrub. You can use it with other oils or butters and salt to make a creamy salt scrub that lathers. Alternately you could also use a liquid castile soap rather than a soap base.

7. Michelle says:

Rebecca, thanks for the info. I think I’ll experiment with the liquid castile soap, sea salts, Epson salt, oils for base and essential oils.

8. CHJohnson says:

I’m ordering supplies for this recipe. Can you tell me which grain of the pink Himalayan salt to use? (Fine, extra fine, small, medium or coarse). Or does it matter?

9. Thank you for sharing great recipes and neat finds like BirchBox which I got my 1st box yesterday (so fun getting surprises in the mail ;) am gonna try Ipsy after Christmas, can’t remember the name of the other lol. Anyway, am excited to try this recipe today hopefully without issues as I use sugar versus salts (I nick way to easy when shaving) and the salt burns. I am going to add jojoba beads for color and eventually may add pink Himalayan fine grain.
    Reading some of the other posts though should I add some salt to help breakdown the M&P base so that it stays soft. Think I will hold off on making until I hear back on your thoughts (I have all your ingredients listed but pink Himalayan salt).

• This recipe specifically works with this base and salt. With sugar it will be a solid soap bar. If you’d rather have a foaming sugar scrub, try using liquid soap. I’ll be posting new recipes to the blog soon with more recipes that call for sugar.

• Thanks Rebecca for the quick reply.
        I will scale the recipe down & with your exact ingredients to see how I like it. I currently use the foaming whip base for my foaming body polish and want to experiment with something new. Plus some of the people I give & sell it to say it has a soap smell no matter what FO or EO I use. I will look forward to seeing what you put out there for us in the way of using liquid soap.

10. Hi Rebecca! I”m very interested in trying your recipe but 1/4 oz essential oiil (1/2 bottle of aura cacia brand) seems like a lot. I love well-scented products but don”t want to overdo. I want to make a rosemary-peppermint blend scrub for Cbristmas gifts. Thanks for your belp!

11. Can u use this for a foaming sugar scrub

12. If I want to substitute the soap base with liquid castile soap, would I still use 12 oz or would that make the product too loose/thin? I buy liquid castile soap in bulk, so I have a lot available to use — just wondering if I need to change anything.

13. I was so excited to make this recipe tonight so that the kids could give it to their teachers! I bought mp base from Natures Garden Candle Making Supplies ( I have never had any problems with their products) but when I melted the MP I had a horrible mess so I threw that batch out that I had melted with a double boiler and tried again with melting it 30 second intervals in the microwave it was just as bad….it peeled in sheets like plastic is all I can describe it as. I am so certain if its the MP or the reaction of the MP and salts but either way I ended up with a stiff non sudsy mass I even tried to add water to it to get it to loosen but that made a putty. I have hope that its the MP so I have some that I bought from Bramble Berry, keeping my fingers crossed. Do you have any suggestions for me to try? Thank You

• I have not tried this recipe with other soap bases other than the Crafter’s Choice I specifically mentioned. It does not work with an all natural melt and pour soap base as the bar will be completely solid. Unless you are using that specific soap base I can’t say if it will work or not. The salt breaks down the soap specifically in the Crafter’s Choice Three Butter Melt and Pour Soap Base. It may also work with other CC soap bases if they are not the all natural soap bases, but I haven’t tried any of those bases at this point.

14. I made this recipe and it came out great! However, I thought for me personally, I would like it to be a little scrubbier. Do you think if I added a couple more tablespoons of dead sea salt that it would still have a similar texture but more scrub ‘grains’? I don’t want to change the texture where it hardens up. Thanks!

• I’m not sure how solid it would get adding more salt. Perhaps adding something that won’t dissolved in water like salt does to give it more scrub like just a touch of fine pumice powder or walnut shell powder? Glad you like the recipe!

15. Thank you Rebecca (you are amazingly helpful) for sharing this information. It is very helpful as I have been searching the net for this type of recipe. I was wondering if you have a recipe for a foaming facial scrub. I would like to use oats instead of suger but not sure what type of soap base would be best.

16. Michelle says:

Hi Rebecca! Thank you for sharing!
    I too make my own scrubs and am wondering where you bought thouse perfect little jars?! :)