Strawberry Smoothie Whipped Salt Scrub Recipe for Glowing Skin
Are you looking for a foaming whipped body scrub for you summer skin care routine? Dish up some fun in the kitchen with this fun, strawberry smoothie whipped salt scrub recipe! This homemade body scrub has amazing exfoliating and toning skin care properties to keep your skin ready to show off all season long! Keep reading to learn how to make this easy DIY whipped scrub for glowing skin.
DIY Whipped Salt Scrub
Summer in the South is crazy hot. That generally means, if you aren’t in an air conditioned environment, then you’re showing off a lot of skin. You can ensure that your skin feels soft and looks beautiful by using a DIY whipped body scrub as part of your weekly skin care routine.
I created this foaming whipped salt scrub recipe with real strawberry fruit powder for it’s skin soothing properties. Strawberry fruit powder, which is rich in polyphenols and Vitamin C, naturally exfoliates and tones skin when used in DIY skin care products. Unlike my foaming whipped body scrub recipe, where I used a melt and pour soap base to create a homemade body scrub, this DIY whipped salt scrub calls for a pre-made whipped body scrub base as a primary ingredient in this formulation.
In addition to the whipped body scrub based used to formulate this product, I chose to use dendritic salt in lieu of regular salt for this recipe. Dendritic salt has a finer grain and larger surface area than other salts. As such, this offers greater fragrance retention in cosmetic applications. It also dissolves faster in water. So it’s a great choice when making this homemade salt scrub recipe for glowing skin.
Strawberry Smoothie Whipped Salt Scrub Recipe
© Rebecca D. Dillon
Made with real strawberries, this exfoliating strawberry smoothie whipped salt scrub DIY contains Vitamin C for soft, naturally glowing skin. Formulated with dendritic salt, real strawberry fruit powder and a foaming bath whip base, this body care product is incredibly easy to make. You’ll love how quick it is to create this summer skin care recipe almost as much as the results!
Whipped Foaming Body Scrub Ingredients:
These are the ingredients you need to make this whipped strawberry salt scrub recipe:
- 8 oz. (227 grams) foaming bath whip: This popular Crafter’s Choice foaming bath whip makes an excellent whipped body scrub base. All you need for this base to make a whipped body scrub is to add the exfoliants, color and fragrance. However, the addition of fruit powder also gives this body care product extra exfoliation for glowing skin.
- 14 oz. (113 grams) dendritic salt: This fine grained salt helps to retain the fragrance you use to scent your whipped salt scrub recipes. In addition, it also provides gentle exfoliation for skin. So, it’s able to slough off and remove dead skin cells to rejuvenate and brighten skin tone and texture.
- 1 oz. (28 grams) strawberry fruit powder: Like your favorite vitamin C serum, strawberry fruit powder contains vitamin C that yields similar benefits for skin. Adding fruit powders to your homemade body scrubs, like this one, helps to enhance the viscosity, texture, and nutrient content. Not only will it promote cellular turnover for glowing skin, but fruit extracts also hydrate skin and alleviate dryness as well as reduce the appearance of redness, irritation, hyperpigmentation, and the signs of aging. You’ll also find that vitamin C rich fruits tone skin and regulate oil production. Therefore, this ingredients also aids in cleansing, clarifying your complexion and may help prevent acne breakouts like body acne. You can purchase strawberry fruit powder online. Alternately, you can also learn how to make fruit powder here.
- .25 oz. (7 grams) strawberry fragrance oil: While this ingredient is optional, it’s perfect if you want to make a DIY whipped body scrub that smells like fresh strawberries!
- 2 teaspoons Fuschia Pink mica powder: A pink mica powder is used to color this strawberry smoothie whipped salt scrub a soft pink color. You may swap out the pink mica with another skin safe colorant of your choice. Or omit this ingredient entirely.
Tools and Equipment
To make this foaming whipped salt scrub using a foaming bath whip base, you will need some common kitchen tools to get started. Here are the tools and equipment you will need in addition to the whipped body scrub ingredients:
- Digital Kitchen Scale: This will be used to weigh out the ingredients called for this whipped salt scrub recipe.
- Heat Safe Measuring Cups: Use Pyrex measuring cups to heat and combine the ingredients called for in the recipe.
- Spoon: A spoon, or other kitchen utensil such as a fork or spatula, is necessary to blend the ingredients together, prior to whipping.
- Measuring spoon: A measuring spoon is necessary to measure out the mica powder you will use to tint this product pink.
- Hand Blender: To make a DIY whipped salt scrub, you will need a hand blender to whip the ingredients after they’ve been combined.
- Containers: You will need enough containers to package your final product. This salt scrub recipe will yield around 22 oz. (624 grams) of product by volume.Therefore, you can evenly fill three 8 oz. jars when recreating this recipe. If you like the 9 oz. clear straight sided glass jars with silver metal lug caps I used, you can purchase them from from SKS Bottle & Packaging. (I was able to fill two 9 oz. and one 4 oz. glass jars with this summer body care product.)
How to Make a Whipped Salt Scrub
Here is how to make this foaming whipped salt scrub recipe with strawberry powder for glowing skin:
1. In a large container, weigh out the foaming bath whip base and the fragrance oil. Mix together. (I specifically used Crafter’s Choice foaming bath whip for my strawberry smoothie foaming salt scrub recipe.)
2. In a separate container weigh out the salt and strawberry fruit powder.
3. Then, using a measuring spoon, measure out the mica powder.
4. Mix the mica, strawberry powder and salt together then pour into the scented foaming bath whip base, mixing with a spatula as you go.
5. Once the dry ingredients are incorporated into the scented foaming bath whip base, mix well with a hand mixer on high speed for 3-5 minutes.
6. Now spoon or pipe the strawberry smoothie foaming salt scrub into your containers of choice.
How to Use a Whipped Salt Scrub
To use a whipped salt scrub, simply remove desired amount from the container. Then massage the foaming body scrub onto damp skin in the shower to cleanse, tone and exfoliate. Afterwards, simply rinse off the product. Then pat dry. Follow with one of these best body moisturizer recipes for summer skin care.
Whipped Salt Scrub Substitutions
If you’re like me, then you love the idea of experimenting! Therefore, I’m providing several guidelines if you’d like to make substitutions to this whipped salt scrub recipe to make this product uniquely yours. Here are substitutions you can make to this salt glow recipe to make it your own:
- Like the idea of strawberries but don’t want a strawberry scent? This homemade salt scrub recipe is also nice with a pink lemonade fragrance oil! Alternately, you can also swap out the fragrance oil with any scent of your choice, including a natural essential oil blend. Keep in mind however, that if you choose to use another fragrance or essential oil, you need to make sure you don’t exceed the recommended usage guidelines.
- My whipped strawberry smoothie salt scrub recipe is best suited for normal to oily skin. If you’d like to use this skin care product for dry skin, I recommend experimenting with adding a hydrating carrier oil or moisturizing body butter of your choice.
- It is important to note that the fine salt crystals used to develop this whipped body scrub recipe for glowing skin will dissolve in this foaming salt scrub base over time. Therefore, I recommend using larger salt crystals than the dendritic salt if you aren’t using this product right away. You can also substitute the salt with sugar for another fun twist on this body scrub recipe. However, unlike my DIY foaming salt scrub and foaming whipped salt scrub recipe, I don’t recommend using Dead Sea salt for this formulation.
Whipped Foaming Salt Scrub FAQ
What is a Foaming Whipped Body Scrub?
A foaming whipped body scrub is a skin care product that is used in the bath or shower to cleanse and exfoliate skin. This product is formulated using a base that foams, such as one with a soap for lather or synthetic foaming agents similar to those used in syndet bars. An exfoliant, such as sugar or salt, is added to the base then whipped with a hand mixer to incorporate all the ingredients together. Once mixed, this product works like a soap based product to cleanse skin. While the exfoliant sloughs off dead skin cells to rejuvenate and reveal brighter, glowing skin.
Additional ingredients are often added to further customize this body care product. Things like color and fragrance make whipped scrubs even more fun to use. While additional moisturizers, like body butters or carrier oils, can also be added to provide additional skin hydration.
The finished foaming body scrubs then leave your skin feeling clean as well as soft and exfoliated. So, your skin has the appearance of brighter, glowing skin.
Do Salt Scrubs Need a Preservative?
Unlike sugar scrubs, salt acts as a natural preservative if it consists of at least 50% salt. Therefore, you do not need a preservative for this recipe. However, I do recommend testing the final product for safety if you plan to sell your products.
If you substitute sugar for the salt in this recipe, I advise using an additional preservative. This is especially important if you’re planning to sell or store your strawberry smoothie foaming scrub prior to use for an extended amount of time. As water can easily be introduced to a foaming sugar scrub during use, this can allow bacteria and other nasty bugs to grow in your formula. There are a number of preservatives available depending on your needs that would work for this product. Simply choose the one you like the best one for this product type. Then add the preservative per manufacturer guidelines at the recommended percentage and temperature.
Is Scrubbing Salt Good for Skin?
Scrubbing with salt is great for natural skin care. Not only is it an effective way to improve your skin care routine, but it’s also incredibly affordable. Salt not only exfoliates skin to removed dead skin cells, but scrubbing skin with this ingredient also helps to remove impurities and soften rough or dry skin.
How Do You Make Whipped Scrubs?
It’s fun and easy to make foaming whipped body scrubs for your skin care routine. You can make whipped scrubs in one of two ways. You can use either what is called a foaming bath whip or a whipped body scrub base to create foaming salt scrubs. Simply use a hand blender to whip the pre-made base with the exfoliant, color and fragrance of your choice.
Alternately, you can also use a melt and pour soap base to make whipped scrubs. For this method, you would combine a melt and pour soap base with the right proportion of Dead Sea salt, carrier oils and butters to form your own whipped body scrub base from scratch as outlined in both my foaming salt scrub recipe and DIY foaming whipped salt scrub.
Can I Sell Homemade Body Scrubs?
If selling your homemade body scrub products, you’ll need to follow FDA guidelines for labeling your product. Not sure how to label your creations? I highly recommend the book, Soap and Cosmetic Labeling: How to Follow the Rules and Regs Explained in Plain English, by Marie Gale.
Whipped Salt Scrub Recipes
If you loved making this strawberry whipped body scrub, then be sure to try these other foaming whipped salt scrub recipes:
- Foaming Celtic Sea Salt Scrub: This foaming Celtic sea salt scrub recipe contains light grey Celtic sea salt to moisturize, revitalize, exfoliate and detox skin as well as calm inflammation. Learn about the skin care benefits of this natural salt scrub recipe with essential oils, plus how to make your own to incorporate into your natural skin care routine.
- Foaming Salt Scrub: This exfoliating body scrub recipe is an easy way to cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize skin — all in one step! Make this DIY salt scrub today for homemade gifts for Mom. Or to gift to friends and family ready to take their beauty regimen to the next level! Like the recipe above, this salt scrub can also be whipped for a whipped body scrub recipe.
- Foaming Whipped Salt Scrub: A variation on this foaming salt scrub recipe, my DIY whipped salt scrub is another 3-in-1 product for summer skin care. Try this at home spa day recipe to create your own custom whipped salt scrubs for glowing skin.
If you enjoyed this summer beauty recipe, then be sure to pin it to Pinterest for later. For more recipes like my strawberry salt scrub recipe, be sure to check out my DIY Bath and Body board on Pinterest. It’s filled with tons of natural skin care recipes and beauty DIY’s perfect for your everyday beauty regimen or recipes for an at home spa day. You can also find and follow Soap Deli News on Facebook, Twitter, Blog Lovin’, and Instagram.