DIY Foaming Salt Scrub: A 3-in-1 Skin Care Product & Gift Idea
Learn how to make a foaming salt scrub for your skin care routine. This exfoliating body scrub recipe is an easy way to cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize skin — all in one step! Make this DIY salt scrub today for homemade gifts for Mom. Or to gift to friends and family ready to take their beauty regimen to the next level!
Whipped Soap Body Scrub with Dead Sea Salt
If you’re need of a homemade gift or simply want glowing skin for summer, then consider making my easy to craft, DIY foaming salt scrub recipe. This homemade salt glow scrub recipe combines the cleansing power of soap with the exfoliating and detoxifying properties of dead sea salt, Himalayan pink salt and Epsom salts. It also contains a touch of moisturizing shea butter and luxurious grape seed oil which is perfect for people with skin sensitivities because of its natural non-allergenic properties.
Foaming Salt Scrub Recipe
© Rebecca D. Dillon
This foaming salt scrub recipe combines ingredients to create a 3-in-1 product that cleanses, exfoliates and moisturizes all in one easy step. This skin care products is made with a whipped soap base combined with Dead Sea salt, Epsom salt and pink salt to detox and exfoliate skin. Additional ingredients, such as a moisturizing body butter and carrier oil, are also included to nourish and condition skin. Add your favorite fragrance or essential oil to create the perfect DIY beauty product for glowing skin. Or create this DIY scrub for an at home spa day recipe.
DIY Foaming Salt Scrub Ingredients
Note that the inclusion of Dead Sea salt in this body scrub recipe is a requirement. Without this specific ingredient, you will end up with a hard salt bar, not an exfoliating body scrub. Therefore, I don’t recommend making substitutions to this ingredients. However, the grapeseed oil may be replace with another another carrier oil of your choice, if desired.
Following are the ingredients you will need to make this whipped soap with salt:
- 12 oz. Mango Butter Melt and Pour Soap Base: Melt and pour soap is necessary to form the base of the scrub. When combined with Dead Sea salt, it prevents the bar from hardening back into solid form. While I chose use a mango soap base for this homemade body scrub for glowing skin, you may use any quality melt and pour soap base you like.
- 2 Tablespoons Grapeseed Oil: You will need to add a carrier oil to this skin care recipe to help thin out the scrub so that it is scoopable.
- 1/2 oz. Shea Butter: This moisturizing body butter is included to help soften the soap into a DIY salt scrub. In addition, it also gives this scrub its skin conditioning properties to nourish and moisturize skin.
- 2 Tablespoons Pink Himalayan Salt: Pink salt is rich in natural minerals and is a wonderful to detox skin.
- 1/4 Cup Dead Sea Salt: This salt from the Dead Sea naturally retains moisture. Therefore, it breaks down the soap base to form an exfoliating salt scrub to help you achieve naturally glowing skin.
- 1/2 Cup Epsom Salt: Rich in magnesium, this salt soothes skin and assists with exfoliation.
- 1/2 oz. (or approximately 2 Tablespoons) Fragrance Oil or 1/4 oz. (approximately 1 Tablespoon) Essential Oil of choice: If you’d like your homemade salt scrub to have a fragrance, you may add your favorite fragrance oil or essential oil blend to this recipe. For this project I used a Lemongrass Sage Fragrance Oil. Alternately, you can use half the amount of your favorite essential oil in lieu of a fragrance oil.
Tools and Equipment
To make this foaming salt scrub using a melt and pour soap base, you will need some common kitchen tools to get started. Here are the additional tools and equipment needed:
- Digital Kitchen Scale: This will be used to weigh out the melt and pour soap base for this DIY body scrub. If you don’t have a scale, but have purchased a scored block of your preferred melt and pour soap, you can count out the 12 of the 1 oz. sections and use those instead.
- Heat Safe Measuring Cups: Use Pyrex measuring cups to heat and combine the ingredients called for in this salt glow scrub recipe.
- Spoon: A spoon, or other kitchen utensil such as a fork or spatula, is necessary to mix the ingredients together.
- Microwave: You will use a microwave to melt the soap base and shea butter called for in this DIY body scrub. If you don’t have a microwave, you may use a double boiler.
- Containers: Either four 4 oz. containers or opt two 8 oz. jar are needed to package your final product.
How to Make Foaming Salt Scrubs
Here is how to make a foaming salt scrub for glowing skin:
1. Cut your melt and pour soap base into chunks using a Chef’s knife.
2. Then using a Digital Kitchen Scale, weigh out 12 oz. of soap base into a large glass pyrex measuring cup.
3. Next weigh out 1/2 oz. of shea butter and add to the soap chunks. Heat your soap base and shea butter in the microwave just until melted. (It is important to note that this recipe only works if you used Dead Sea Salt.)
4. Now, remove the soap base and shea butter from the microwave.
5. Measure out 2 Tablespoons of Grapeseed Oil and stir into the melted soap base and shea butter mixture.
6. Immediately measure out your salts and stir into the salt scrub base you’ve created. Mix thoroughly.
7. . Finally, weigh out 1/2 oz. (or approximately 2 measured Tablespoons) of skin safe/cosmetic grade fragrance oil of choice and stir into your salt scrub.
8. Stir your homemade foaming salt scrub until it starts to thicken.
How to Package Salt Scrubs
To package your salt glow scrubs, simply pour the foaming scrubs into the chosen containers. Once solidified, screw on the lids.
You may then decorate your jars for this DIY skin care product by wrapping a lovely strip of washi tape around your jars. Then add a cute “Handmade with Love” sticker for the perfect presentation.
I purchased both the washi tape and stickers I used for this packaging this product from Cute Tape.
To use this homemade salt scrub recipe, simply scoop a small amount into the palm of your hand. Then scrub the product onto damp skin all over your body. It washes, exfoliates and scents your skin in one easy step!
After massaging onto skin, rinse clean. Then pat dry and follow with a best body moisturizer recipe for skin.
Salt Glow Scrub Recipes
To make more salt glow scrub recipe similar to my foaming salt scrub DIY, be sure to try these other easy skin care recipes:
- Strawberry Smoothie Foaming Salt Scrub: Dish up some fun in the kitchen with this amazing strawberry smoothie, foaming salt scrub recipe for glowing skin! Its exfoliating and toning skin care properties will help keep your skin ready to show off all season long!
- Foaming Celtic Sea Salt Scrub: This foaming Celtic sea salt scrub recipe contains light grey Celtic sea salt to moisturize, revitalize, exfoliate and detox skin as well as calm inflammation. Learn about the skin care benefits of this natural salt scrub recipe with essential oils, plus how to make your own to incorporate into your natural skin care routine.
- Dead Sea Salt Face and Body Scrub: Get glowing, healthy looking skin with this homemade lush face and body scrub recipe. Formulated with nourishing body butters, coconut oil and Dead Sea salt, this Dead Sea salt face and body scrub recipe exfoliates skin and offers dry skin relief. It’s the perfect addition to your natural beauty regimen for sensitive, maturing or dry skin!
- DIY Whipped Salt Scrub: A variation on this foaming salt scrub recipe, my DIY whipped salt scrub is another 3-in-1 product for summer skin care. Try this at home spa day recipe to create your own custom whipped salt scrubs for glowing skin.
Prefer to use sugar for an exfoliating body scrub? Then be sure to try this recipe for a foaming oat body scrub.
For more homemade gift ideas, be sure to follow my Handmade Mother’s Day Gift Ideas Board on Pinterest! You can also keep up with all of my latest DIY bath and beauty recipes and DIY projects by following me on facebook, twitter, and instagram!