Natural Lip Balm Recipe with Organic Essential Oils (For Less Than 50¢ Each!)
Feed your lip balm addiction with this simple natural lip balm recipe with organic essential oils. You’ll love how much money you can save just by making your own natural lip balms! In fact, you can craft my natural lip balm recipe with mostly certified organic ingredients for up to 500% less than what natural lip balms cost in stores!
Everyone loves lip balm. And it seems we can never have just one. No longer reserved just for winter months, lip balms have become a year round staple. So whether you have chapped lips from excess sun exposure, wind burns or they’re suffering from drying, long lasting matte lipsticks, you need those lip balms!
I seem to always be losing lip balms. And since I never know when I’ll need one, I always have extras stashed away. Of course in the summer I always forget and leave my natural lip balms in my car. Which in turn leads to a melty mess. So I replace that lip balm (with no clue how half of it magically disappeared from the tube) only to have the same thing happen to me again. And of course, I always forget about them in pockets (they occasionally get washed) or lose them in the bottom of my purse or backpack.
Save Money With This Natural Lip Balm Recipe!
Replacing lip balms however can get expensive fast. Many natural lip balms, like the EOS brand lip balm, cost $3 or a more each. By making your own organic natural lip balms however, you can easily create a dozen natural lip balms for a fraction of the price.
I purchased the ingredients for my natural lip balm recipe with organic essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs. Based on their current pricing structure, I was able to make my natural lip balms for about 23¢ each sans packaging. In most cases, your cost for packaging your lip balms will double the unit price.
While slide tins do tend to cost more, you can buy a case of 24 slide tins from SKS Bottle & Packaging for about 60¢ each. Based on my natural lip balm recipe making eight .25 oz. lip balms, packaging your natural lip balms in slide tins will cost about 83¢ each.
However, if you decide to fill .15 oz. traditional white lip balm tubes, like those from Mountain Rose Herbs, this natural lip balm recipe actually makes thirteen homemade lip balms! These tubes run around 22¢ each (for a case of 50.) Therefore you can make thirteen tubes of natural lip balm recipe for around 46¢ each. Buying your own natural lip balms would cost you six times as much!
(Please note that none of my calculations include shipping costs as this can vary drastically from state to state. While others may choose to buy locally.)
While a baker’s dozen of natural lip balms may seem like a lot, they do have a long shelf life. Plus, how many times has your son or daughter lost that new tube of lip balm you just bought? So rest assured, I’m sure you’ll find plenty of uses for your lip balm bounty.
I find that my friends and co-workers appreciate it when I have an extra tube of lip balm handy. Plus these natural lip balms are also great party favors as well as stocking stuffers during the holiday season. Even better, you can use the leftover ingredients to make even more lip balms! (I have a ton of homemade lip balm recipes!)
Ready to get started making your own budget friendly lip balms? Then be sure to check out my natural lip balm with ginger & cardamom essential oils below. Plus discover 30 more natural lip balm recipes.
Essential Oils Natural Lip Balm Recipe
© Rebecca D. Dillon
. 5 oz. beeswax pastilles (made in the USA)
.5 oz. sweet almond oil
.25 oz. non-GMO verified & certified organic refined coconut oil
.25 oz. fair trade & certified organic refined shea butter
.1 oz. certified organic castor oil
12 drops fair trade & certified organic ginger essential oil
8 drops fair trade & certified organic cardamom essential oil
Using a digital scale, begin by weighing out the beeswax, shea butter, coconut oil, castor oil and sweet almond oil called for in my natural lip balm recipe.
Combine in a double boiler. (I like this double boiler insert from Mountain Rose Herbs.)
Then heat the ingredients over medium until melted. (Learn how to use a double boiler here.)
Once all of the ingredients have liquified, remove from heat.
Then, using a dropper or a graduated plastic transfer pipette, add the organic essential oils to the liquid. Mix to combine.
Now carefully pour your natural lip balm into your containers of choice. Once cool, you can cap your lip balm tubes. Or slide on the lids to your slide tins.
If desired, you can use washi tape to easily decorate your natural lip balms as desired.
More Natural Lip Balm Recipes
Once you’ve seen how EASY it is to make your own natural lip balms AND how much money you can save, you’re going to be addicted. So here’s a collection of more natural lip balm recipes that are easy to make at home. (These are also great crafts for ladies nights or teen sleepovers.)
- 3-Ingredient Matcha All Over Moisture Stick Recipe for Lips & Body
- 3-Ingredient All Natural Coffee Lip Balm Recipe
- Super Simple 2-Ingredient Natural Lip Butter Recipe
- Tinted Moisture Lip Whip for Healthy Looking Lips
- Rose Lemonade Fairy Glitter Gloss Recipe with Biodegradable Glitter
- Rose Scented 4-in-1 All Over Beauty Cream Stick Recipe
- Vegan All-In-One Tinted Beauty Stick Recipe for Lips, Eyes & Cheeks
- Merlot Natural Tinted Lip Balm Recipe
- Flavored Strawberry Lip Balm Recipe
- Lemon & Ginger Natural Tinted Lip Balm Recipe
- Coffee Flavored Lip Butter Recipe in Tins
- Chocolate Ginger Agave Lip Butter Recipe Tinted with Alkanet Root Powder
- 2-in-1 Lip Stain + Cheek Color Recipe
- Tinted Natural Lip Balm Recipe – Three Ways
- Tinted Lip Plumping Lip Balm Recipe with Clove Essential Oil
- Natural Lip Balm Recipe with Peppermint Essential Oil & Lanolin
- Fall Lip Tint Recipe with Dark Cocoa Butter
- Tinted Natural Lip Balm Recipe with Skin Protectants Lanolin & Beeswax
- Natural Cold Sore Therapy Lip Balm Recipe
- Holiday Red Tinted Lip Balm Recipe
- Homemade Moisture Rich Lip Gloss Recipe
- Natural Tri-Color Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
- Homemade Birthday Cake Lip Balm Recipe
- Vegan Lavender Mint Natural Lip Balm Recipe
- Homemade Vegan Chocolate Mint Natural Lip Balm Recipe
- Homemade Chamomile Balm Recipe for Body & Lips
- Organic Vegan Lip Tint Recipe
- Lavender Mint Balm Recipe for Body & Lips
- Copy Cat Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips
- Mango Shimmer Tinted Lip Balm Recipe
If you enjoy my ginger & cardamom natural lip balm recipe, then you may also like my collection of the best natural deodorant recipes for summer. Or try my summer inspired pink lemonade lip scrub recipe. You can also learn how to save more money on natural beauty products with my anti-aging microdermabrasion scrub recipe.
Want to discover more natural skin care recipes? Then be sure to follow my boards on Pinterest. You can also find and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Blog Lovin’, and Instagram. Or you can simply subscribe to Soap Deli News via email for future updates, DIY projects and recipes.